PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Overturn George W. Bush's Incandescent Light Bulb Ban

FrankRep
12-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/dec/16/congress-overturns-incandescent-light-bulb-ban/)

Washington Times
December 16, 2011

Congressional negotiators struck a deal Thursday that overturns the new rules that were to have banned sales of traditional incandescent light bulbs beginning next year.

That agreement is tucked inside the massive 1,200-page spending bill that funds the government through the rest of this fiscal year, and which both houses of Congress will vote on Friday. Mr. Obama is expected to sign the bill, which heads off a looming government shutdown.

Congressional Republicans dropped almost all of the policy restrictions they tried to attach to the bill, but won inclusion of the light bulb provision, which prevents the Obama administration from carrying through a 2007 law that would have set energy efficiency standards that effectively made the traditional light bulb obsolete.

Stopping the bulb ban was a chief GOP priority coming into this year, with all of the candidates seeking to become chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee saying they would push through a repeal. That bill cleared the House but Democrats blocked its consideration in the Senate.

====

Flashback

Republicans Seek Repeal of Incandescent Bulb Ban (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/6392-republicans-seek-repeal-of-incandescent-bulb-ban)

Daniel Sayani | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
21 February 2011

Senator Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.) has announced that he plans to introduce legislation to reverse the ban on incandescent light bulbs which is scheduled to go into effect January 1, 2014. The ban was included in a comprehensive energy bill that President George W. Bush signed into law in 2007 as an amendment, and was intended as a means of saving energy and limiting pollution.

oyarde
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Crap Frank , does this mean I am stuck with all of these bulbs I bought for resale later ? :)

FrankRep
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Crap Frank , does this mean I am stuck with all of these bulbs I bought for resale later ? :)
Reason #349286 Why the Government should stay out of the free markets.

oyarde
12-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Reason #349286 Why the Government should stay out of the free markets. Absolutely

LibertyEagle
12-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Unfortunately, because of the 2007 legislation, I think the last U.S. manufacturer closed its doors.

Lucille
12-16-2011, 12:33 PM
It hasn't been repealed. Just delayed:

"The spending bill doesn’t actually amend the 2007 law, but does prohibit the administration from spending any money to carry out the light bulb standards — which amounts to at least a temporary reprieve."

That means the regs will likely go into effect next fiscal year, which starts in October 2012 (http://reason.com/blog/2011/12/16/let-there-be-incandescent-light-bulb-ban).

I'm sickened over the fact that CONgress passed a ONE TRILLION DOLLAR Omnibus spending bill. I remember when a few ten billion was a lot of money. They sure did get Americans used to them spending a trillion quickly.

kylejack
12-16-2011, 12:34 PM
CFL are awesome. I haven't replaced any lightbulb in my house in the last 3 years.

FrankRep
12-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately, because of the 2007 legislation, I think the last U.S. manufacturer closed its doors.

yep.

Death of the Incandescent Light Bulb (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/4646-death-of-the-incandescent-light-bulb)

20 September 2010 | In response to the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act, which bans the use of incandescent light bulbs by the year 2014, General Electric has shut down its last factory in the United States that makes the incandescent light bulb.

oyarde
12-16-2011, 12:40 PM
So then they will be imported ?

oyarde
12-16-2011, 12:42 PM
I think e z bake ovens used to use 100 w bulbs ....

HOLLYWOOD
12-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Gonna run up a $1.2 Trillion Deficit for FY2012... Glad to see these idiots in Washington Dc have their Priorities straight.

Oh Omnibus $981 Billion is on deck...

oyarde
12-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Gonna run up a $1.2 Trillion Deficit for FY2012... Glad to see these idiots in Washington Dc have their Priorities straight.

Oh Omnibus $981 Billion is on deck... Excellent example .

Lucille
12-29-2011, 04:14 PM
The War on Cheap, Happy Lightbulbs Starts Next Week (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/102450.html)

Their knavish tricks have not of course, been confounded by the useless Republicans, so phase 1 of the ban starts next week. Here come the exploding, expensive mercury uglies...

Thanks again, Republicans, for the ban signed by the glorious Bush regime and his Neo-Trots in CONgress.

GunnyFreedom
12-29-2011, 05:51 PM
CFL are awesome. I haven't replaced any lightbulb in my house in the last 3 years.

CFL are horrible. Put me in a room with one for 10 minutes and I will develop a splitting migraine. I started buying CFL way back when they first came out because my house gets a lot of browns and spikes so we used to go through incandescents like water. I thought CFL was a brilliant solution to that problem. I started getting headaches pretty bad most nights not knowing why, turn off all the lights (migraine thing) and they would dissipate. Eventually I noticed that under halogen and incandescent light I had no problems at all. Under CFL lights I would quickly descend to agony.

More recently I bought 2 LED bulbs at 80 watt equivalence. They are nearly the only bulbs I'll use anymore. I've taken to carrying my LED bulb lamp from room to room when I want light somewhere lol.

That doesn't even touch on the hazmat issue with CFL's and mercury dust.

I love that CFLs last so long that they were impervious to my 'dirty power' problem, but I'd rather do without the migraines and the mercury thankyouverymuch.

acptulsa
12-29-2011, 06:00 PM

Now you can use a 30W fluorescent--but you'll use more power because the cupcake won't be ready for ten years.

CFL are horrible. Put me in a room with one for 10 minutes and I will develop a splitting migraine. I started buying CFL way back when they first came out because my house gets a lot of browns and spikes so we used to go through incandescents like water. I thought CFL was a brilliant solution to that problem. I started getting headaches pretty bad most nights not knowing why, turn off all the lights (migraine thing) and they would dissipate. Eventually I noticed that under halogen and incandescent light I had no problems at all. Under CFL lights I would quickly descend to agony.

Don't worry, Gunny. They haven't moved to outlaw candles just to ensure that we pollute the environment with mercury to the greatest degree possible.

Yet.

By the way, I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how turning part of your lighting bill into heat is a major problem and a terrible waste in Alaska in January.

RickyJ
12-29-2011, 06:05 PM
They create problems to solve them so it looks like they are doing something for their easy live it up "jobs" at the tax payer's expense.

The Free Hornet
12-29-2011, 06:07 PM

Anti Federalist
12-29-2011, 06:09 PM
The War on Cheap, Happy Lightbulbs Starts Next Week (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/102450.html)

Thanks again, Republicans, for the ban signed by the glorious Bush regime and his Neo-Trots in CONgress.

Shut up, you conspiracy monger.

You must hate 'Murrica.

Reported.

Zippyjuan
12-29-2011, 06:13 PM
They are making them with heating elements now. http://www.hasbro.com/easy-bake/en_US/

Bake up sweet and tasty treats with the EASY BAKE Ultimate Oven. No more light bulbs needed! Use the included mixes, pans and other goodies to whip up cake and cookie batter. Follow the directions to bake them inside the oven. Oven comes with baking pan, cupcake pan, pan pusher, chocolate chip ......More

acptulsa
12-29-2011, 06:19 PM
They are making them with heating elements now. http://www.hasbro.com/easy-bake/en_US/

Another safe toy become dangerous as hell, thanks to the government.

But they did burn the wooden toy your grandpa made for you because there might have been a smidgeon of lead in the paint, so it's all good...

Zippyjuan
12-29-2011, 06:37 PM
It wasn't exactly comletely safe before either.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6189383_fire-hazards-easy-bake-oven.html

For years, the Easy Bake Oven has taught kids how to cook. Unfortunately, the toy has fire hazards. According to the Consumer Reports website, the Consumer Product Safety Commission recalled 985,000 ovens since May, 2006. These fire hazards from the oven's high temperature include second and third-degree burns, as well as entrapment.

Read more: The Fire Hazards of an Easy Bake Oven | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6189383_fire-hazards-easy-bake-oven.html#ixzz1hyR6vo3P

I like the way this piece was written about it: http://www.sampa.com/killer-toys/5-wtf-were-they-thinking-toys-no-3-%E2%80%93-easy-bake-oven/

The Easy Bake Oven was introduced at a King’s ransom of $15.95, that’s approximately over a million dollars today with inflation, give or take. It might be the ‘ridiculously’ high price for the toy or the fact that some savvy parents knew of the dangers in this toy that an unlucky (or shall I say lucky) portion of the kid population was never able to delight themselves with all the baking shenanigans that accompanied the Easy Bake Oven. Even with that said, Hasbro (the current owner of the Easy Bake brand) has sold about 20 MILLION units since its inception.

So WTF?

Let’s think for a moment. Would you give your child a blow torch to play with? If you answered yes, you probably had an Easy Bake Oven as a kid. But, the resounding answer should be NO. So, why would anybody in their right mind give their child, who loves sticking their fingers, forks, toys and other objects into places they’re not supposed to, a toy that is a breeding ground for this type of activity?

Some kids didn’t get this memo. One 5-year-old was unfortunate enough to be entrapped in the Easy-to-stick-your-hand-in Oven and was burned so bad that it required her finger to be amputated. She wasn’t the only one ‘lucky’ enough to be entangled with the Easy Bake Oven aka muerte del fuego(death by fire) as some obscure Spanish folklore describes it. There were around 249 reports of children being inferno’d by this variation of the Chinese finger trap, 16 of which were second and third degree burns.

Let me go off on a brief tangent and tell you how bad second and third degree burns are. It ranges from first to third with third being the worst. Second degree burns are described as extremely red blistered skin that looks ‘wet’ and, for larger area burns, can have the victim go into shock. Third degree burns are pretty much as bad as you think they might get. To put it simply, this level of a burn destroys nerve endings and will put a nice char-colored finish on the skin.

This whole fiasco happened in 2007 and prompted a recall of a million units. Hasbro tried to cover their butts by offering a pre-paid box for return and a $32 voucher for one of their own branded items. They then fitted the defunct ovens with a safety grill only to be thwarted, yet again, by the evil child geniuses who devised a way to jam their fingers in the oven. And guess what? ANOTHER recall! WTF?!

I can’t imagine how these kids will turn out. Think about it.

Imagine you’re given a ‘toy’ to ‘play’ with and all of a sudden you’re in the fight of your life with a fire breathing bear gnawing on your hand like it’s a chew toy (what I’d imagine having an Easy Bake Oven stuck to your hand would be like). You’d be paranoid of all small electrical appliances. Well, maybe this happened to them at a young enough age they won’t remember it as adults. Oh wait, that is until they look down at their stump of a finger!

That’s not the end of this riveting tale. They’re still selling the Easy Bake Ovens, presumably awaiting another recall because (I think) they’re hedging their bets in the “recall stock market” (if there is one) and making millions billions gajillions. Either that or they’re planning something a little bit more sinister…

I forget what it was called right now, but I had a toy which had metal molds you poured some rubbery plastic mixture into and it baked them into animals- I had a bunch bug molds. Tried melting other things as well. I am sure it put off plenty of toxic fumes too.

Lucille
12-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Another safe toy become dangerous as hell, thanks to the government.

But they did burn the wooden toy your grandpa made for you because there might have been a smidgeon of lead in the paint, so it's all good...

And the books. Don't forget about the dangerous, poisonous books (http://www.city-journal.org/2009/eon0212wo.html) they burned "For the Children." Another epic win for the filthy Neo-Trot scumbags.

LOL, AF. I love being reported! It never gets old.

Zippyjuan
12-29-2011, 07:33 PM
What books are being burned?

Chase
12-29-2011, 07:41 PM

To each their own. I tried to use CFLs for a while and they failed just as often, if not more often, than the standard incandescent bulbs I'm used to. Nevermind the fact that they're more expensive and that the basic models don't support dimming, 3 way, etc. They also put out a crappy light spectrum that hurts my eyes.

acptulsa
12-29-2011, 07:41 PM
I forget what it was called right now, but I had a toy which had metal molds you poured some rubbery plastic mixture into and it baked them into animals- I had a bunch bug molds. Tried melting other things as well. I am sure it put off plenty of toxic fumes too.

I still have a Vac-U-Form in the top of my closet. No idea if it still works or not.

What books are being burned?

Anything and everything printed before they banned lead from ink in 1985. Believe it or not.

Hell, someone has probably even burned a copy of Animal Farm because of it. Fahrenheit 451, anyone?

torchbearer
12-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Sounds like a good time to get into the light bulb business.