12-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Anyone else having problems today?
I've just had a serious virus attack,
and (i'm sad to say) i think it came from a Ron Paul
Social Network site, i joined last week
after seeing it promoted on this forum.

I just wanted to send a heads up... i
believe we may be under attack.

What virus?(name/type)? What was it's source? (Website)?

and I have no problems, but I don't use windoze.

Roxi
12-23-2011, 01:09 AM
What social network are you referring to?

RickyJ
12-23-2011, 01:13 AM
No problems at all, but I don't use windows. I got burned one time too many to ever use windows for anything other than playing games ever again.

Ubuntu Linux is way better than windows, I see no reason for anyone to use windows.

TheViper
12-23-2011, 01:20 AM
I use both Ubuntu and Win7 on a dual boot.

But I never get viruses on my Windows boot anyway. Good firewall, good anti-virus, good anti-malware, good browser = no virus. And good browsing habits helps too.

As for this virus, we need to know many more details. What virus, what site, did you click a link, download anything, what did you use to remove it, etc...?

Czolgosz
12-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Stay away from the pron sites!

DamianTV
12-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Identifying the real source of a virus is not as easy as it sounds, even here on the forums. Right now for example, Im hitting the forums on IE8 (testing something), but if you are in IE, hit Tools -> Web Page Privacy Policy. You'll quickly see on there that when you look at RonPaulForums.com, there are multiple websites listed in the Privacy Policy summary, not just RonPaulForums. Other sites are much the same way, so just because you go to www.foo.com and get a virus while visiting that site does not mean that www.foo.com itself is infected. It could be any single one of those sites listed there. It could also be none of them as many viruses try to spread from computer to computer just by being connected to a network, and with most computers connected to the rest of the internet, it is a very very big network.

Oh yeah, IE8, unpatched, XP (32 bit) also very vunerable, no anti virus installed period, and I dont get shit. Of course, I do run my setup a little different than most people, so when I do run across the occasional virus, I get prompted by my Firewall (not anti virus), tell it to not allow whatever program to run said obvious virus (Kgyc6Ubtf.exe) from IE, go delete the file, close IE, open it back up, and Im all done "fixing" my horrid virus infestation. Last serious infection that tried to get in to my box was last year and it took me about 30 seconds to completely undo all "damage" done, and by damage, I mean just delete the file and restart the browser. I think the last one was a PDF exploit, but still havent even bothered to patch that either.

---

If anyone does need help with viruses, spyware, malware, or what not, feel free to send me a PM, or post a thread and I'll answer as best I can. But I can tell you an ounce of prevention is worth 50 hours of reinstalling windows.

emazur
12-23-2011, 06:23 AM
When all else fails, I've found that Combofix will kill any virus that the other guys miss, even Kaspersky. Kaspersky was able to identify the virus but not remove it, but Combofix completed the job. Amazingly, it's free and should be much more well known, but it's just a virus removal, not a virus shield
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

HOLLYWOOD
12-23-2011, 06:52 AM
When all else fails, I've found that Combofix will kill any virus that the other guys miss, even Kaspersky. Kaspersky was able to identify the virus but not remove it, but Combofix completed the job. Amazingly, it's free and should be much more well known, but it's just a virus removal, not a virus shield
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofixYeah, the guys over at "Bleeping Computer" are awesome.

jkr
12-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Stay away from the pron sites!

death to the PRONS!