PDA

View Full Version : Do Independent Voters Favor Anti-War Candidates?

samsung1
12-16-2011, 09:55 AM
I don't have a link or any research on this but can anyone confirm this? Especially for independent voters in Iowa. I've heard people mention that the anti-war candidates gets the majority of the indy votes.

Crystallas
12-16-2011, 09:57 AM
You make it seem like independents only have one frame of mind.

Brick-in-the-Wall
12-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Watch Ron's interview with Bill Maher where he explains this more. The peace candidate usually wins.

vita3
12-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Of course they do.

Just watched a great documentary on the 1968 Presidential Race between Nixon & Hubert Humphrey. The anyalsis said Humphreys would have won if he had earlier committed to a peace position.. but in reality Johnson had control of him early on.

Thank-God Ron is truly independent.

bluesc
12-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Considering Ron Paul is the ONLY Republican candidate that beats Obama in Iowa according to a recent poll, I would say yes. The other (pro-war) Republicans are ~10% behind Obama while Ron is tied.

CaptUSA
12-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I don't think people are motivated by one issue, however, I believe that the majority of people respond to the candidate that is reluctant to go to war or engage us in foreign affairs. You know, the conservative position.

It's not necessarily the "peace" candidate, but the one who is cautious with foreign policy.

gls
12-16-2011, 10:03 AM
CNN poll from a couple of weeks ago showed 63% oppose the war in Afghanistan, 35% favor. I'm sure that 63% number would be even higher if it only included independents. http://www.pollingreport.com/afghan.htm

Then again look at this:

http://i43.tinypic.com/egbk9y.png

Most people say that the war in Afghanistan has turned into a situation like Vietnam, and most of those same people don't think it was a "mistake". Talk about confusion.

jkob
12-16-2011, 10:09 AM
I'd say most definitely do. I'd say a good portion of your typical Republicans are tired of these wars too.

wgadget
12-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Iowa is traditionally anti-war.

raystone
12-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Please don't imply Dr. Paul is the anti war or peace candidate. He's the anti UNCONSTITUTIONAL war candidate. Huge difference in creating accurate perceptions among voters out there.