PDA

View Full Version : Paul questions Gingrich's draft deferment - at CNN Politics page

raystone
12-15-2011, 06:18 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/15/paul-questions-gingrichs-draft-deferment/

2 hours ago
Paul questions Gingrich's draft deferment
Posted by
CNN's Kevin Liptak

(CNN) - Ron Paul issued a new hit on Newt Gingrich Thursday, suggesting his rival was incautious by taking a hawkish stance on U.S. defense while having deferred military service himself.

"He's probably as aggressive with the military as anybody," Paul said on Fox News. "He supports all the wars in the Middle East a thousand times more than I would. But you know in the nineteen-sixties when I was drafted in the military, he got several deferments. He chose not to go. Now he'll send our kids to war."

Paul, who has seen a recent jump in Iowa polls, served as a surgeon for the U.S. Air Force in the 1960s after graduating from medical school.

Gingrich was an active student during the 1960s, earning a bachelors degree from Emory University in 1965 and a masters from Tulane in 1968. He later earned a Ph.D from Tulane.

In his criticism of Gingrich Thursday, Paul noted an explanation the former speaker has given about his deferments.

"At that time he said that one person wouldn't make a difference," Paul said. "He didn't see how he could make a difference. So I see that as important information. People should know that. It reflects on him."

Thursday's comments aren't the first time Paul has gone after Gingrich. The Texas congressman released a round of negative television ads last week, painting Gingrich as inconsistent and not sufficiently conservative. The ads ran in Iowa and New Hampshire.

A spokesman for Gingrich did not reply to a request for reaction to Paul's comments.

Lord Xar
12-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Nice

UtahApocalypse
12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
is there an ad this is about??

specsaregood
12-15-2011, 06:27 PM
is there an ad this is about??

No and I doubt it will be coming as newt star has crashed.

mconder
12-15-2011, 06:27 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/15/paul-questions-gingrichs-draft-deferment/

2 hours ago
Paul questions Gingrich's draft deferment
Posted by
CNN's Kevin Liptak

(CNN) - Ron Paul issued a new hit on Newt Gingrich Thursday, suggesting his rival was incautious by taking a hawkish stance on U.S. defense while having deferred military service himself.

"He's probably as aggressive with the military as anybody," Paul said on Fox News. "He supports all the wars in the Middle East a thousand times more than I would. But you know in the nineteen-sixties when I was drafted in the military, he got several deferments. He chose not to go. Now he'll send our kids to war."

Paul, who has seen a recent jump in Iowa polls, served as a surgeon for the U.S. Air Force in the 1960s after graduating from medical school.

Gingrich was an active student during the 1960s, earning a bachelors degree from Emory University in 1965 and a masters from Tulane in 1968. He later earned a Ph.D from Tulane.

In his criticism of Gingrich Thursday, Paul noted an explanation the former speaker has given about his deferments.

"At that time he said that one person wouldn't make a difference," Paul said. "He didn't see how he could make a difference. So I see that as important information. People should know that. It reflects on him."

Thursday's comments aren't the first time Paul has gone after Gingrich. The Texas congressman released a round of negative television ads last week, painting Gingrich as inconsistent and not sufficiently conservative. The ads ran in Iowa and New Hampshire.

A spokesman for Gingrich did not reply to a request for reaction to Paul's comments.

Romney's campaign has got to be loving this.

Tina
12-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Whoa! Many negative comments about Newt. :p

emr1028
12-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Romney's campaign has got to be loving this.

He should be scared shitless about whatever the campaign has in store for him :p

klamath
12-15-2011, 06:35 PM
I am cross posting this from a thread I started as it seems RP had the same idea.

It is getting absolutely rediculous at the the number of candidates and talk show hosts and candidates that refused to serve yet are just screaming to send more servicemen to war.
I believe we can start to take them down with a concerted campaign to prefix every one of their names with Chickenhawk. I believe it will really turn the attention on the hypocracy from these personal cowards.
Chickenhawk Rush
Chickenhawk Hanity
Chickenhawk Levin
Chickenhawk O'Reilly
Chickenhawk Romney
Chickenhawk Santorum
Chickenhawk Gingrich
Chickenhawk Obama
ETC

If we can get this to go virul it would turn a huge eye on the huge number of chickenhawks screaming for war. It could very well stunt their anti RP campaign as everytime they brought up RP's foreign policy people would automatically think "Chickenhawk" and how they are listening to personal cowards willing to send other peoples children to war.