PDA

View Full Version : If Ron Paul nails it tonight, we'll win the election

cdc482
12-15-2011, 10:33 AM
After the last one, I hope the campaign realizes that the most efficient way to gain votes is prepping for the debate.

braane
12-15-2011, 10:35 AM
I don't often pray... but when I do... I pray for Ron Paul.

Karsten
12-15-2011, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't go that far, but it is the most important debate of the election cycle so far.

specsaregood
12-15-2011, 10:53 AM
I think they'll have him in the center of the stage tonight.

mczerone
12-15-2011, 11:05 AM
I think they'll have him in the center of the stage tonight.

Lol! I could only see that happening if they also sink the center podium by 2ft, direct heat lamps onto the center, and put a light directly under Ron's face to make him look like some scary sweaty troll.

He'll be off-center for sure, and they'll continue to use the most unflattering camera work to try to pretend that he isn't there as much as possible, or that he's kooky/unelectable when they do show him.

matt0611
12-15-2011, 11:14 AM
I think if he does as well as last time he will very likely win the Iowa caucus.

Ronulus
12-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Don't get over confident. Keep phoning from home, donating, and spreading the word.

samsung1
12-15-2011, 11:15 AM
If he does well tonight then I think we can be hopeful that at least 40k Iowans will vote for Ron. We will need between 40k and 50k votes assuming 120k voters total will caucus. Big night for Ron!

RonPaulFanInGA
12-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Didn't Hannity say that the newsletters are going to be brought up?

nasaal
12-15-2011, 11:37 AM
If they do, I hope the campaign has drilled him on the most effective version of the truth imaginable. Would love to see him smirk at the question and destroy it as he's done with gotchas in the past. Time to set this one up, and knock it down.

RonPaul101.com
12-15-2011, 11:39 AM
The KEY to the seemingly-Gotch debate tonight is not the newsletters, Paul's dismissed those before easily because its not from him.

THE KEY to the gotcha questioning tonight, IMHO, will be when others try hit him on his broad opposition to government subsidies, to which RP needs to NEVER answer that question using the word "subsidies", rather I want to see his use "bailouts" in its replacement. Something like this, "The government bailouts of industry, any industry, is wrong by design. Look at the oil companies and how they make billions of dollars a year in profits and still we hand over the tax dollars of hard working Americans, or at least of those who still have a job in Obama's economy. We can;t afford to bailout everyone, and even in theory it is wrong to interupt the risk versus reward balance of capitalism. Just look what it is doing to us now."

unknown
12-15-2011, 11:41 AM
If RP doesnt do well, it wont derail anything but if he does do well, it will definitely help.

And yah, pray, meditate, focus for Ron Paul!!!

Bruno
12-15-2011, 11:42 AM

As a debate question?

nasaal
12-15-2011, 11:45 AM
The KEY to the seemingly-Gotch debate tonight is not the newsletters, Paul's dismissed those before easily because its not from him.

THE KEY to the gotcha questioning tonight, IMHO, will be when others try hit him on his broad opposition to government subsidies, to which RP needs to NEVER answer that question using the word "subsidies", rather I want to see his use "bailouts" in its replacement. Something like this, "The government bailouts of industry, any industry, is wrong by design. Look at the oil companies and how they make billions of dollars a year in profits and still we hand over the tax dollars of hard working Americans, or at least of those who still have a job in Obama's economy. We can;t afford to bailout everyone, and even in theory it is wrong to interupt the risk versus reward balance of capitalism. Just look what it is doing to us now."
great point. Sometimes the key is all in the wording which is sad but true. Call these subsidies exactly what they are, bring the quotes and facts with him. Paul has some difficulty because he approaches things from such a philosophical standpoint which confuses people. Sometimes a factual black and white approach is the way to go.

RPsupporterAtHeart
12-15-2011, 11:47 AM
If they try and hold him out of this debate, he HAS to speak up this time. Just as the Grinch did months ago. He must let his polling numbers be known to the audience in a non-whiny, matter of fact manner.

JCF
12-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Every candidate will be on their game, especially one-liner Gingrich, that guy loves him some dramatic pauses. So yes, Paul MUST do well, and I'm confident he will, it would be ridiculous if his newsletters are brought up though, true orchestrated attack.

Darthbrooklyn
12-15-2011, 11:49 AM
theyll prob put his microphone on a 3 second delay like theyve been doing on fox news interviews..

RonPaulFanInGA
12-15-2011, 11:50 AM
As a debate question?

"Are you saying that we should be taking our marching orders from al-Qaeda?"

CaptUSA
12-15-2011, 11:51 AM
The other candidates have to be careful about attacking Paul because, if they do, they know they can't afford to piss all of us off.

The moderators, on the other hand, don't have to worry about that. I expect a full-scale attack, but I also expect Paul to knock em out of the park. He's getting sharper and sharper as this campaign goes on.

KingRobbStark
12-15-2011, 11:51 AM
I think OP means that RP will win if he doesn't get screwed at the debate.

bluesc
12-15-2011, 11:52 AM
"Are you saying that we should be taking our marching orders from al-Qaeda?"

They are going to hit him hard tonight.

cdc482
12-15-2011, 11:54 AM
If RP gets pressed on government welfare again (they try to paint him as having no compassion), he needs to say something along the lines of
I would like to help people, but I am not willing to steal from someone to help someone else!

12-15-2011, 11:56 AM
I just hope they didn't schedule a ton of events today and let Ron rest up so he's at his best for tonight.

RonPaulMall
12-15-2011, 11:58 AM
As a debate question?

I wouldn't put it past them. Either that or the "Gaza is like a concentration camp" comment. Fox would absolutely one of those as a question if the powers that be give the word. Romney wants Paul to win Iowa so maybe they are told to sit on that stuff for now, but Ron also has to be ready for either Gingrich or Santorum to directly challenge him on one of these issues too. Fox is more likely to bring up the newsletters since it plays in to the race baiting sensationalism that feeds their ratings. Gingrich or Santorum are more likely to strike on the Israel issue. Ron has to be ready to be attacked this debate more than he has in all the rest combined.

ChrisDixon
12-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Ron better be ready to be aggressive. Chris Wallace is running the show and he's already come out hard against Paul recently, stating a victory for him would discredit the caucus. TRANSLATION: Little attention, and what you do get, will be designed to make you look like an asshat.

trey4sports
12-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Ron has to go incognito. Just avoid damage. That's all he needs to do. Just don't screw up. That's all.

hammy
12-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Unlike every other candidate, when Ron Paul has to defend himself, he is absolutely masterful. He has never been good at openly attacking others. But the guy knows what he believes and he's seriously ready for anything they throw at him.

cdc482
12-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Ron has to go incognito. Just avoid damage. That's all he needs to do. Just don't screw up. That's all.
disagree. He needs to pick up at least 5%, and hopefully around 10%

ChrisDixon
12-15-2011, 12:04 PM

I disagree, I think he needs to take command of the stage. We know his views, everyone knows his views. His views aren't what's in question in a lot of people's minds, it's his ability to be a leader. He needs to take the stage by storm and be commanding the debate. Take the lead, we win.

rawful
12-15-2011, 12:07 PM
He'll be asked about the glee comment.

FreedomHorn
12-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Unlike every other candidate, when Ron Paul has to defend himself, he is absolutely masterful. He has never been good at openly attacking others. But the guy knows what he believes and he's seriously ready for anything they throw at him.

This. There's no such thing as a gotcha question for Dr Paul.

Koz
12-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Ron better be ready to be aggressive. Chris Wallace is running the show and he's already come out hard against Paul recently, stating a victory for him would discredit the caucus. TRANSLATION: Little attention, and what you do get, will be designed to make you look like an asshat.

I thought Cavuto was moderating? What happened to that?

Also, I heard Hannity for a few minutes yesterday, that dude is in full panic mode. Saying no matter what explanation RP gives about the newsletters he wouldn't believe it, and he would vote for anyone but RP. Hannity is also attacking Beck (without saying his name) over the fact that he said he would vote RP third party over noot. Hannity, Levin, Limbaugh are freaking out.

I bet he gets attacked in a major way tonight on the newsletters, Israel, healthcare, and maybe even making some stuff up. If Wallace is indeed the mod, it is gonna be a rough nite. Wallace is a total neocon.

colbyhowell
12-15-2011, 12:17 PM

This

TheTexan
12-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Just the most important debate of the election. No pressure Ron, no pressure

cdc482
12-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Just the most important debate of the election. No pressure Ron, no pressure

Ron's power level grows to over 9000 when he's being viciously attacked.

Carole
12-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I disagree. Did you ever watch a football team sit on a lead in the fourth quarter, then have the game slip away because they did not remain aggressive? I have seen it many times.

Dr. Paul must remain aggressive; this is the fourth quarter in Iowa. :)

Rest up today good doctor. :)

Superfly
12-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I disagree. Did you ever watch a football team sit on a lead in the fourth quarter, then have the game slip away because they did not remain aggressive? I have seen it many times.

Dr. Paul must remain aggressive; this is the fourth quarter in Iowa. :)

Rest up today good doctor. :) Ron Paul is no Marty Schottenheimer!

tremendoustie
12-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Yes, Ron has to quickly deflect attacks, and stay on offense. Always end responses by moving the ball on the issues, and against the media and the other candidates. He shouldn't let them put him on defense.

NoPants
12-15-2011, 12:25 PM

I think that's very likely.

The good news, he has an excellent campaign staff. You can see in the debates how well they've been preparing him. He's able to get his ideas across more clearly and rarely phrases things in a way easily distorted by the media. I credit a very experienced campaign leadership with helping to make this change from what we saw in 2007. The "glee" comment is a case where he should have been more cautious of his wording. It wouldn't be a big deal had he phrased it differently.

Carole
12-15-2011, 12:27 PM

I would love it if he could tell them how they had the Patriot Act sitting in a file cabinet just waiting for the right event to bring it before Congress. Too bad he cannot do that. The truth hurts, but in this case, it would sound "out there". No one would believe it even though it is true.

Still, there are lots of other choice things to address, such as the NDAA bill.

tremendoustie
12-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I think that's very likely.

The good news, he has an excellent campaign staff. You can see in the debates how well they've been preparing him. He's able to get his ideas across more clearly and rarely phrases things in a way easily distorted by the media. I credit a very experienced campaign leadership with helping to make this change from what we saw in 2007. The "glee" comment is a case where he should have been more cautious of his wording. It wouldn't be a big deal had he phrased it differently.

Meh, it's a non-issue. He said they were happy about attacking Iraq, not happy about 9/11 -- and his statement is provably true. He's already clarified this.

trey4sports
12-15-2011, 12:28 PM
I thought Cavuto was moderating? What happened to that?

Also, I heard Hannity for a few minutes yesterday, that dude is in full panic mode. Saying no matter what explanation RP gives about the newsletters he wouldn't believe it, and he would vote for anyone but RP. Hannity is also attacking Beck (without saying his name) over the fact that he said he would vote RP third party over noot. Hannity, Levin, Limbaugh are freaking out.

I bet he gets attacked in a major way tonight on the newsletters, Israel, healthcare, and maybe even making some stuff up. If Wallace is indeed the mod, it is gonna be a rough nite. Wallace is a total neocon.

4 mods.

cdc482
12-15-2011, 12:29 PM
He better bring up NDAA!!!

tremendoustie
12-15-2011, 12:32 PM
NDAA has been modified -- he should take this into account. It's still slimy and will excuse indefinite detention, but it's not as clear cut to a casual reader now, at least when it comes to citizens.

xFiFtyOnE
12-15-2011, 01:00 PM

Why did this^ remind me of this:

http://www.godissues.org/wp-content/uploads/jonathan-goldsmith-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-224x300.jpg

brandon
12-15-2011, 01:03 PM
I doubt the debate will be watched by even close to as many people as the last one. This is Fox News on a thursday night. The last one was primetime ABC. Big difference.

stang56k
12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Ron's power level grows to over 9000 when he's being viciously attacked.

Super Saiyan Paul!

But, seriously this man has had 30 years of experience whacking down trolls. A lesser being would have tapped out long ago... I have faith!

MrAustin
12-15-2011, 01:16 PM
I disagree, I think he needs to take command of the stage. We know his views, everyone knows his views. His views aren't what's in question in a lot of people's minds, it's his ability to be a leader. He needs to take the stage by storm and be commanding the debate. Take the lead, we win.

^^^
This.

I loved how Ron ended the debate last week. He really came across as a leader who could unite the Republican party. In my opinion, continuing to build that image is the best thing he can do to gain supporters quickly (which is what we desparately need). That's why the republican base makes so many excuses for Romney and Gingrich. Their rationalization is this: Even though they suck - they can "lead the party and unite us to beat Obama!!!!"

The wonderful truth is that Ron Paul IS the leader of the pack. EVERYONE is following his lead. Romney the "CEO" even pointed out his astonishing ability to lead. Paul is so humble though that you almost can't see it happening until a moment like the end of that last debate when you suddenly say to yourself, "wow!" Paul needs to help the Republican base see that and believe in him.

God bless Dr. Paul. I'll be praying for a miracle tonight.

LibertyEagle
12-15-2011, 01:19 PM

I agree that he needs to show strength and ability to lead. But, I also think his views need to be simplified, encapsulated and repeated so that conservatives truly understand.

Echoes
12-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeh, he definately cant shy away and look weak. Assertive and confident !

Steppenwolf6
12-15-2011, 02:19 PM
It does not matter how he looks or if he stumbles on one word,because his strenght is and has always been being himself and standing on his positions.
He always nails it,stop worring because he always nails it by being himself,I would like him to be relaxed and give simple direct answers,simplify the messages to be understood by everybody,but nothing else.
Smile.

wgadget
12-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Lol! I could only see that happening if they also sink the center podium by 2ft, direct heat lamps onto the center, and put a light directly under Ron's face to make him look like some scary sweaty troll.

He'll be off-center for sure, and they'll continue to use the most unflattering camera work to try to pretend that he isn't there as much as possible, or that he's kooky/unelectable when they do show him.

And they'll make sure he can't hear the questions. And when he talks it will be really high-pitched and louder than the others.

Todd
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Why did this^ remind me of this:

http://www.godissues.org/wp-content/uploads/jonathan-goldsmith-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-224x300.jpg

I don't often pray... but when I do... I pray for Ron Paul.....Stay thirsty my friend.

I'll be doing alot of praying this evening...

Revolution9
12-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Ron Paul is no Marty Schottenheimer!

And he ain't no Dork Runkelschteamer either.

Rev9

Ekrub
12-15-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't think that he needs to have a super strong debate performance, just one that won't give Fox News a chance to run with and pick at. I think this debate performance is important, just not vital.

TNforPaul45
12-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Let them come!!!

Jandrsn21
12-15-2011, 03:12 PM
All of these events are culminating to a point that is very favorable for us. Surging at the right time, the best ground game, a good debate tonight, a huge moneybomb tomorrow, a Leno appearance, and a first place win in Iowa. Most may realize this, but many may not, just in case, the stars are about to align perfectly! We have to do our job and capitalize on these events, we may have more chances but I think the force is strong with us right now. Strong enough that if we do our parts we could win this!

Original_Intent
12-15-2011, 03:15 PM

Stay thirsty for freedom, my friends!

realtonygoodwin
12-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Keys to victory:

1. Don't assume the audience is familiar with what you are talking about. Simplify things for them. Speak in complete sentences.
2. Smile and be happy.
3. Have a solid response re: newsletters
4. Have a solid response re: foreign policy
5. Have a solid response re: earmarks

Original_Intent
12-15-2011, 03:24 PM
If the newsletters are brought up, I think the best response would be:

First, I did not write the newsletter in question.
Second, because it was published under my name, I did take responsibility for not thoroughly reviewing what was written, and in this particular case I personally rejected such a point of view.
Third, you will find nothing that I have done legislatively or that I have said either in public or private that supports such a position. I have made it clear that individuals should not be judged collectively on ANY basis. Therefore, let's move on to you asking me when I stopped beating my wife.

Okay, maybe that still needs to be worked on a little.

IndianaPolitico
12-15-2011, 03:24 PM
While we wait, please spread this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7q6Oas5PgQ

economics102
12-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Keys to victory:

1. Don't assume the audience is familiar with what you are talking about. Simplify things for them. Speak in complete sentences.

THIS. This is the one thing I worry about -- you never know which Ron Paul you're going to get at these debates, the one that rambles incoherently or the one that speaks at a leisurely pace, is attuned to the audience, and is like a philosophical judo master throwing mental midgets around the room.

tremendoustie
12-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Again, electability, electability, electability.

Hit the polls which show Ron beating obama among independents by 10% or more. Point out that the general population is not going to elect another candidate with an aggressive, pro-war foreign policy. Point out Ron's widespread appeal, among independents, because of his positions on civil liberties and foreign policy.

PastaRocket848
12-15-2011, 03:34 PM
if he nails the debate tonight, even besting last week's (awesome) performance, i would venture to say he may clinch Iowa. i wouldn't go any further to that until after i see how the win in Iowa is spun and whether or not the spin ends up mattering.

tbone717
12-15-2011, 03:36 PM
if he nails the debate tonight, even besting last week's (awesome) performance, i would venture to say he may clinch Iowa. i wouldn't go any further to that until after i see how the win in Iowa is spun and whether or not the spin ends up mattering.

Agreed. I have been saying for a while that the spin is dependent upon the margin of victory. A one or two point victory is spun one way, and they can say he squeaked out a victory but look at all these polls where he is in third. A ten point victory shows that he is a force to be reckoned with an no amount of spin can stop that. NH voters are smart enough to see through the spin and won't easily buy that a guy that wins by a large margin, and has had a slow steady climb in the polls is just a one state fluke.