PDA

View Full Version : How To Become A 2008 Republican National Convention Delegate

Austin
11-07-2007, 08:17 PM
I got this in an email from Jessica Higdon, who is from indgop.org (jhigdon@indgop.org)

HOW TO BECOME A 2008 REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION DELEGATE

Both our Party Rules and the Indiana Statute address issues regarding the 2008 National Convention and who can participate as delegates, alternates and presidential electors and alternates.

All state convention delegates who elect the national delegates, alternates and electors must be qualified electors (registered voters) within a county in their particular congressional district. The state convention delegates may file and seek election in the 2008 Primary or may be appointed by the county chairman. If vacancies occur in the number of delegates allotted to that county, the county chairman may appoint a qualified voter to fill the vacancy. Each county gets one delegate for every 400 votes cast for Secretary of State in the last election where the Secretary of state was on the ballot. If the remainder was more than 200, the county receives an additional State Convention Delegate.

In every year in which a presidential election is held, each of the nine congressional districts hold a caucus comprised of the state convention delegates from that particular district, prior to the convening of the Republican State Convention. In that caucus three national delegates and three corresponding alternates are elected. Each delegate is assigned an alternate in the district caucus. If for some reason the delegate is unable to serve, the alternate moves to the delegate position and a new alternate is selected by the district chairman.

In the district caucus, one presidential elector is elected and one alternate elector. If the elector resigns, dies or is disqualified, a notice is filed with the Governor (IC 5-8-3.5) by the State Chairman. If an elector does no attend the December meeting or fails to appear before 11:00 a.m. the electors present shall by paper ballot fill the vacancy upon proof of resignation or certification being provided to the electors, or at 11:00 a.m., whichever comes first. Following the General Election, the Party that has won the Presidential election has their electors meet to cast their electoral vote for the President and Vice President of the United States. That vote takes place in the chamber of the Indiana House of Representatives on the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December as provided by 3 U.S.C. 7, or on another day fixed by Congress of the United States, at 10:00 a.m. to elect the President and Vice President of the United States.

National delegates and alternates elected in the district caucuses are bound on the first ballot at the Republican National Convention to vote for the presidential candidate who received the highest number of votes in that congressional district, if in fact that candidate is a candidate at the National Convention. A delegate at-large or alternate at-large is not required to support a specific presidential candidate on any ballot at the National Convention.

Anyone serving as state convention delegate or delegate to the Republican National Convention must be a registered voter at least 18 years of age at the time of the election.

At the Republican State Convention in June 2008, the National at-large delegates and alternates are elected by the entire body of the State Convention, comprised of State Convention delegates from each county within the State. The number of at-large delegates is assigned an alternate delegate to act in the delegate’s stead should a delegate resign or be unable to attend the National Convention. Two presidential electors and two presidential alternate electors will be elected at the State Convention.

To be considered as an at-large candidate or national delegate, alternate delegate, presidential elector or alternate elector a person must file a Declaration of Candidacy with the State Secretary of the Republican Party at least 14 days prior to convening of the State Convention. No fee is required for this filing. The declaration form must be3 completed and notarized. Persons running for these positions in district caucuses must file with the appropriate district chairman.

Following the adjournment of the State Convention, the State Chairman shall call a meeting of the newly elected delegates to the National Convention at a place and time established by the State Committee for organization purposes to elect the following:

1. A Delegation Chairman

2. Two members of the Resolutions Committee

3. Two members of the Credentials Committee

4. Two members of the Rules and Order of Business Committee

5. Two members of the Permanent Organization Committee

Only delegates can serve on the above listed committees and the membership of each committee must consist of one man and one woman. No delegate may serve on more than one committee.

Austin
11-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Well, I finally got around to reading it all. It really doesn't provide much new information, I was hoping for specific deadlines and whatnot. I shall call them tomorrow with hope for more detailed information.

bergstrom
11-09-2007, 04:34 PM
There are a number of forms here: http://www.in.gov/icpr/webfile/formsdiv/sec.html

I was thinking CAN-2, but that specifies "seeking ... nomination to an elected office" Is delegate considered an office? Or is there a more specific form for delegates?

---- Quick Update ----

Looking more closely, I'm thinking something like CAN-37 is the one we want (though CAN-37 is for 2006). Its titled "DECLARATION OF CANDIDACY FOR PRECINCT COMMITTEEMAN AND STATE CONVENTION DELEGATE"..... since all national delegates seem to come from the state convention (as I understand it).

Though, take this with a grain of salt, I've only just started looking into how the delegates are chosen, did your phone call turn up anything interesting?

bergstrom
11-09-2007, 06:53 PM
As a note, the email you received quotes from the Indiana GOP rules (http://www.indgop.org/rulesrevision06.pdf). I found it on their website, starting at rule 192.

Melissa
11-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Has anyone found more info on how to be a delegate I took over the Fort Wayne Meetup group and this is one of the things I would like to get on our agenda

Bradley in DC
11-17-2007, 04:32 PM
I was thinking CAN-2, but that specifies "seeking ... nomination to an elected office" Is delegate considered an office? Or is there a more specific form for delegates?

Looking more closely, I'm thinking something like CAN-37 is the one we want (though CAN-37 is for 2006). Its titled "DECLARATION OF CANDIDACY FOR PRECINCT COMMITTEEMAN AND STATE CONVENTION DELEGATE"..... since all national delegates seem to come from the state convention (as I understand it).

Though, take this with a grain of salt, I've only just started looking into how the delegates are chosen, did your phone call turn up anything interesting?

Yes, specifically, you are a Ron Paul "delegate candidate" in effect competing against the "delegate candidates" from other campaigns for those positions.

Austin
11-17-2007, 05:13 PM
I visited my Justice Building, and they said that they are having a meeting in December to finalize all deadlines and whatnot. From what I understand, delegate elections for Indiana are held on June 9th, as described by thegreenpapers.com (http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/IN-R.phtml).

The earliest we can apply is January 1st, so we've got some time. I'll be sure to get back with you guys when I revisit my Justice Building in December. Until then, check out my other posts with some updated information.