PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson Confirmed: Gary Johnson Switching to Libertarian Party, Possibly Endorsing Ron Paul?

Shotdown1027
12-14-2011, 12:25 PM
See here (http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2011/12/ipr-exclusive-gary-johnson-to-announce-libertarian-switch-tomorrow/). I'm surprised he's doing this so late in the game, but pleasantly so. Pre-Iowa is good news for us--we stand to gain from his switch prior to Iowa and NH. Even if it's .5%.

And before anyone questions this blog--it was also the first one to report Bob Barr's switch, Chuck Baldwin's run, etc.

Maximus
12-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Why isn't this guy running for Senator of NM? Ego?

LibertyEagle
12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Why was this started in RON PAUL Grassroots Central?

12-14-2011, 12:29 PM
If he's switching parties, why would he endorse his possible opponent? That makes no sense.

Inkblots
12-14-2011, 12:29 PM

Presumably, because we expect to pick up his votes now that he's leaving the GOP race?

cdc482
12-14-2011, 12:30 PM

Cause it pertains to Ron Paul.

tsai3904
12-14-2011, 12:31 PM
That's not really a confirmation.

Shotdown1027
12-14-2011, 12:47 PM
tsai--that blog has a pretty good track record. I'd say it's confirmed.

Liber Team
12-14-2011, 12:50 PM
retarded

JakeH
12-14-2011, 12:53 PM
I really don't understand the Libertarian Party/Constitution Party members that aren't throwing their full support behind Dr. Paul. He represents 90% of what you believe in, if you don't back him then you're purposely being an ass.

kylejack
12-14-2011, 12:54 PM
If he's switching parties, why would he endorse his possible opponent? That makes no sense.
The Libertarian Party isn't Ron's opponent.

PatriotOne
12-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Gary has just commited political suicide. He had a shot at a Congressional or Senate position with RP's grassroots peeps supporting him......not anymore. This has to be the most boneheaded, self-inflicted political wound I have ever seen.

Romulus
12-14-2011, 12:55 PM
I really want to like Gary, but everything about his actions says he's all about himself.... If he would join us, we would join him when it's his time.

HOLLYWOOD
12-14-2011, 01:07 PM
I really want to like Gary, but everything about his actions says he's all about himself.... If he would join us, we would join him when it's his time.Sounds like he needs a few emails/messages sent to him.

Could be a timing thing for RP...

robmpreston
12-14-2011, 01:13 PM
It's really bizarre. If he became a Senator, he'd be out in public again and get a lot of name recognition and could run for president in 2016 or 2020. Seems stupid.

JakeH
12-14-2011, 01:16 PM
It's really bizarre. If he became a Senator, he'd be out in public again and get a lot of name recognition and could run for president in 2016 or 2020. Seems stupid.

And would get our support.

zHorns
12-14-2011, 01:20 PM

Unless, Rand runs. :D

JakeH
12-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Unless, Rand runs. :D

Well, I meant for Senate. But yeah, Rand > pretty much everyone.

Liberty_Mike
12-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Yet again, all people can do here at RPF and Daily Paul is talk shit about Gary Johnson. Why aren't you guys looking at this as good news? Gary had about 1% in Iowa, and Ron Paul was 1% away from Gingrich for a first place tie. I have a feeling that 1% in Iowa will end up voting for Ron Paul in the caucuses. People here need to look at the bigger picture.

JakeH
12-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Yet again, all people can do here at RPF and Daily Paul is talk shit about Gary Johnson. Why aren't you guys looking at this as good news? Gary had about 1% in Iowa, and Ron Paul was 1% away from Gingrich for a first place tie. I have a feeling that 1% in Iowa will end up voting for Ron Paul in the caucuses. People here need to look at the bigger picture.

I feel like that if that 1% was going to vote for Ron, they'd have already jumped ship. We're not talking about a large number of people here, but die-hard supporters.

Shotdown1027
12-14-2011, 01:27 PM
There's an update at the link now--he says he's not switching tomorrow but he's definitely moving in that direction. His Southern Regional Director says they've had extensive talks about it.

Seems like he was going to announce tomorrow, the news of it got published, and now he's backed off of the idea to test the water and get free media. Makes sense.

I suspect he'll run.

specsaregood
12-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Speak for yourself.

JakeH
12-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Speak for yourself.

I don't know who's running for Kyl's seat, but I'd sure as hell support him over McCain.

specsaregood
12-14-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't know who's running for Kyl's seat, but I'd sure as hell support him over McCain.

Well I guess it depends on your definition of "support". There are a lot of other candidates running for office that I'd give my support to.

Echoes
12-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Gary, you're a disgrace and your political career is KAPUT bwahahaha

Liberty_Mike
12-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Gary, you're a disgrace and your political career is KAPUT bwahahaha

He's a disgrace because he is a former 2 term governor who endorsed Ron Paul in 2008? The only one to do so..

iamse7en
12-14-2011, 02:27 PM
I'd like to see Bill Still vs. Gary Johnson for libertarian nomination. could be entertaining. :)

emazur
12-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Some of you people need to learn to stop freaking out at every bit of news you perceive as being anti-Paul. Gary has already stated he would support Ron as the GOP nominee. Since Gary himself is being shut out, he's getting his ducks in order to Ron LP if Ron doesn't get the GOP nomination. Gary endorsed Paul in '08 and said he'd invite Paul to be VP if Gary got the GOP nomination. So again, stop freaking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-V2vzxiok

The Free Hornet
12-14-2011, 03:45 PM
I feel like that if that 1% was going to vote for Ron, they'd have already jumped ship. We're not talking about a large number of people here, but die-hard supporters.

Compromise got us into this mess, I doubt compromise will get us out of it. Further, the candidates all have 0% support in Iowa. You are letting the pollsters control you and the elections with talk like this. If Gary is somebody's number one choice, they can answer honestly. Who they vote for is a different story for most, but not all. Votes that come easy are lost easily.

KevinR
12-14-2011, 03:47 PM
On Freedom Watch he basically said If Ron wins he'll endorse him, otherwise he'll run third party. Don't know why everyone thinks it's so complicated.

jkob
12-14-2011, 04:21 PM
On Freedom Watch he basically said If Ron wins he'll endorse him, otherwise he'll run third party. Don't know why everyone thinks it's so complicated.

I'd be fine with this. If Ron doesn't get the nomination, I would likely vote for Gary as a Libertarian. However, I get the impression Gary doesn't really want to serve in elected office again or else he'd be running for senate and instantly becoming a national figure prominent enough to actually run for president one day. Can't say I blame him but disappointing none the less.

Shotdown1027
12-15-2011, 12:41 AM
I'd be fine with this. If Ron doesn't get the nomination, I would likely vote for Gary as a Libertarian. However, I get the impression Gary doesn't really want to serve in elected office again or else he'd be running for senate and instantly becoming a national figure prominent enough to actually run for president one day. Can't say I blame him but disappointing none the less.

I think running for Senate would be wiser. But if he insists on running for President--then this isn't a bad deal for us.

Liberty_Mike
12-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Gary Johnson has NOT decided to run as a libertarian or 3rd party candidate yet. This thread should be closed or its title should be changed.

"Despite reports and speculation to the contrary, former New Mexico Republican Gov. Gary Johnson says he hasn’t made up his mind on whether to run for the Libertarian Party nomination for president.

He will, however, discuss what such a run would “hypothetically” look like.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/12/14/gary-johnson-discusses-what-hypothetical-third-party-run-would-look-like/#ixzz1gcd2K110"

J. W. Evans
12-16-2011, 01:40 AM
I'd like to see Bill Still vs. Gary Johnson for libertarian nomination. could be entertaining. :)

Bill Still's campaign would be seriously deflated if Gary decided to run.
In Still's recent "State of the Libertarian Nation" address, he made clear his differences with the LP, and he had a good number of them. In a Johnson vs Still match-off, both are figures with more-than-average name recognition with libertarian leanings. Gary has more of both then Still, and would take that specific front-runner position.

Shotdown1027
12-19-2011, 03:07 AM
Bill Still's campaign would be seriously deflated if Gary decided to run.
In Still's recent "State of the Libertarian Nation" address, he made clear his differences with the LP, and he had a good number of them. In a Johnson vs Still match-off, both are figures with more-than-average name recognition with libertarian leanings. Gary has more of both then Still, and would take that specific front-runner position.

It might be an interesting debate, but it wouldn't be an interesting nomination fight. Johnson will have the backing of the Reform Caucus and some other candidate (likely Wrights) would have the backing of the so-called Radicals. Bill Still is not someone who has spent considerable face-time with Libertarian delegates, he doesn't have gobs and gobs of money, hasn't been involved for a long time, etc. Still's campaign is still-born.

Agorism
12-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Suckers, Bob Barr endorsed Net Gingrich. HOPE YOU DIDN'T VOTE FOR THAT GUY IN 08!

Sunstruck-Eden
12-19-2011, 04:59 AM
Suckers, Bob Barr endorsed Net Gingrich. HOPE YOU DIDN'T VOTE FOR THAT GUY IN 08!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Doesn't that go against everything Barr stands for?

eduardo89
12-19-2011, 05:35 AM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Doesn't that go against everything Barr stands for?

He believes in the patriot act. So does newt.