PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo front page: How Ron Paul Can Win the Republican Nomination

Ben Bernanke
12-14-2011, 09:09 AM
hxxp://news.yahoo.com/blogs/signal/ron-paul-could-win-105810338.html

Ron Paul has a 7.5 percent likelihood of winning the Republican nomination, based on data from prediction markets. That puts him in 3rd place, behind Mitt Romney at 47.7 percent and Newt Gingrich at 33.7 percent, but ahead of Jon Huntsman at 5.4 percent.

Real Clear Politics has Paul at 9.3 percentage points in its latest aggregated poll trend for the Republican primary. Among active candidates, that puts him 3rd behind Gingrich at 33.3 percentage points and Romney at 22.0 percentage points. The prediction markets and polls paint a picture of the race for the Republican nomination that contrasts with many indicators talked about on the internet.

Ron Paul is by far the most popular candidate in The Signal's comment section. In every article we post there are streams of comments on Ron Paul. First, thank you for commenting! We appreciate that you are reading the articles and taking the time to comment on them. Yet, the readership of The Signal is not a representative sample of the relevant electorate and the subset of The Signal's readers that choose to post comments are an even less representative subset of the relevant electorate. Thus, being the most popular among those people who comment on this website is not a powerful indicator of the election outcome. What matters is the popularity among those people that will participate in the Republican primary contests.

Ron Paul is leading or in second place in many straw polls, but again, these are not representative samples of the relevant electorate. Straw polls are conducted among a self-selected group of highly motivated members of the electorate. They indicate strong and dedicated support, an important attribute in elections. But, elections are decided across a much larger electorate that does not resemble this smaller subgroup.

Similarly, Paul dominates positive tweets in an atmosphere that is incredibly negative. But, tweets originate from an unrepresentative segment of the electorate who can "vote" many, many times.

Prediction markets are the most efficient predictor of election results and they give Paul a non-negligible, but small likelihood of winning the Republican nomination. A prediction market allows political handicappers to back up their convictions with real money. The price is an aggregate reflection of how much people are willing to pay for contracts that expire at $1 if Paul wins the nomination and $0 if he does not. Users from around the world act based on any information they have, including well-known central signals of upcoming events like polls and past results, as well as less obvious, more disaggregated indicators.

Even if Ron Paul wins Iowa, where he is currently trailing only Gingrich, he faces a very difficult struggle to win the Republican nomination. A loss to Paul would greatly diminish Gingrich's position as the anyone-but-Romney candidate. There is a high likelihood that Paul would become the anyone-but-Romney candidate, but that is not guaranteed. So, if Paul is 28.8 percent likely to win Iowa, that mean he has at most a 28.8 percent likelihood of becoming the anyone-but-Romney candidate as a result of the Iowa Caucus.

Even if Paul becomes the anyone-but-Romney candidate, Romney would still be favored to win the nomination; Ron Paul is a very principled and disciplined libertarian, which does not put him near the mainstream Republican platform. As a libertarian, Paul has been very consistent in his belief in small government; he advocates little interference in domestic social policy, domestic economic policy, and foreign policy. Many of the leading Republican politicians have advocated a hands-off approach to the economy, but their record runs the spectrum from true libertarians to heavy influence on the side of certain business. Yet, the Republican party has at best mixed platform on government influence on social domestic policy and foreign policy, and very little interesting in trimming military spending.

Iowa is Paul's best hope of an early victory; a loss there would be devastating to his nomination hopes.

When I predict the outcome of the Republican primary, I am predicting what the data tells me what will happen, not what I wish would happen. I applaud Paul's strength of conviction, both when I agree and disagree with him. Paul's main path to victory is winning Iowa, becoming the anyone-but-Romney candidate and then beating Romney. Accomplishing all three is an unlikely, but possible task and that is why the prediction markets have Paul at 7.4 percent to the gain the nomination.

So, I pose the question to you, what do you think Paul's path to the nomination looks like? Follow along on PredictWise for real-time likelihoods of the Republican nomination and the individual Republican primaries.

BLS
12-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Looks like a hit piece to me. And you didn't suggest that in your title.

Join date = check
Post count = check

Smells like a troll.

bluesc
12-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Looks like a hit piece to me. And you didn't suggest that in your title.

Join date = check
Post count = check

Smells like a troll.

You say that about every new member. Let's not start a witch hunt. Join date and post count mean absolutely nothing.

KingNothing
12-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Anyone who isn't us would agree with the article.

Everyone here, though, believes Paul has a better than 30-percent chance of winning Iowa and that when he does that he has a very real chance of winning New Hampshire which would almost lock up the nomination.

I imagine that many here put his odds at about 50/50. We need to keep working hard, and get lucky. We can win, but it's no guarantee. It's also, I believe, unrealistic to say that we only have an 8-percent shot of pulling it off.

TwoJ
12-14-2011, 09:28 AM
I saw this on the frontpage earlier also.

smartguy911
12-14-2011, 09:30 AM
By David Rothschild

Ben Bernanke
12-14-2011, 09:33 AM
I didn't really think of it has a hit piece per se, but I'll break the link anyways. I thought it was just an outsider's perspective on how the race is shaping up. The numbers are similar to Intrade which a lot of people hold in high esteem. I just figured you guys would be interested in anything with Paul's name in it

Ben Bernanke
12-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Here's another article on the front page

http://news.yahoo.com/gingrich-surges-ahead-republican-race-nbc-wsj-poll-040605616.html

Obama 51% Gingrich 38% :)

TER
12-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Fair piece, though a little misguided. Come the night of Jan. 3rd, he will be sitting in front of his computer, trying to describe how important a win this was and that Ron is the anti-Romney.

I hope it gets posted here so that I could read it when he posts it.

InTradePro
12-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks for posting.

newbitech
12-14-2011, 10:19 AM
not a representative set, unrepresentative set, subset of and unrepresentative set

But listen to me cause I put money on it!

LOL, really, what was the necessity of this guy's post? Is he trying to get people to put money on Ron Paul? At least he is holding Ron Paul shares. But I think his prediction of a 28.8% of being the anti-romney candidate after Paul wins Iowa lacks any kind of representative or substantial facts to back it up.

Another way to look at that is, if Ron Paul does indeed win Iowa, he will build on his 28.8% likelihood to be the anti-romney candidate. That will be the starting point, not the ceiling.

Ben Bernanke
12-14-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't know.

More motivation to keep pushing Ron and Phone From Home. The tide is turning our way.

Romulus
12-14-2011, 11:57 AM
hit piece by Rothschild.

sailingaway
12-14-2011, 12:01 PM
You say that about every new member. Let's not start a witch hunt. Join date and post count mean absolutely nothing.

I posted it too, and I'm not a troll.

I thought it was decent and liked that it was front page. It says basically that the best path for Ron to win means he has to take Iowa, at a 29% chance as he sees it, and then he is likely, but NOT guaranteed to be the anti Romney but that the odds were still on Romney winning.... each possibility for a different outcome reduced Ron's chance statistically, but the statistical chance gets a lot better once one of those threshold points is surmounted. For example, AFTER he wins Iowa (if that happens) the 29% factor reducing his chances for that goes away. Etc.

devil21
12-14-2011, 01:56 PM
hit piece by Rothschild.

It's not the David Rothschild but the real one always pops up during the campaign at some point, along with his mother.

Romulus
12-14-2011, 02:02 PM
It's not the David Rothschild but the real one always pops up during the campaign at some point, along with his mother.

I'm thinking that tree hasn't many forks.

TonySutton
12-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Campaign like you are 20 points behind.

TomtheTinker
12-14-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't see that as a hit piece at all, I thought is was decent. It wasn't pro-paul but did state facts, Ron Paul is a very disciplined libertarian who has a shot at winning the Republican nomination.

devil21
12-14-2011, 05:52 PM
I have never seen a Paul article spend more than 15 minutes on Yahoo's front page (and it's my default homepage), yet this subtle "unelectable" hit piece has been plastered up there since this morning! Front page, smack in the middle. Naaa, no media bias or anything going on. Notice they also disabled comments for the article. Yesterday's PPP poll scared the shit out of the insiders.

Paulitics 2011
12-14-2011, 06:16 PM
I agree that the polls, internet coverage, etc. are unreliable, but I also don't have too much faith in these small prediction markets either.

It's crucial that we win Iowa and place in top three in NH.

StilesBC
12-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Not every article that doesn't explicitly endorse Ron for the nomination is a hit piece.

Some of it, believe it or not, is just journalism.

devil21
12-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Not every article that doesn't explicitly endorse Ron for the nomination is a hit piece.

Some of it, believe it or not, is just journalism.

That article is paragraph after paragraph implying how the recent Iowa polling means nothing and Paul should be ignored as usual. That's all it is. Can't have people getting funny ideas about whether Paul is viable based on Iowa. Gotta remind everyone that he's still a single digit candidate everywhere else (that doesn't matter right now).

speciallyblend
12-14-2011, 07:05 PM
I didn't really think of it has a hit piece per se, but I'll break the link anyways. I thought it was just an outsider's perspective on how the race is shaping up. The numbers are similar to Intrade which a lot of people hold in high esteem. I just figured you guys would be interested in anything with Paul's name in it

we don't drink, we don't smoke, norfolk norfolk!!