PDA

View Full Version : A little good news: Converted a Romney Supporter at Walmart today!

Qdog
12-14-2011, 01:44 AM
So today I wore my Ron Paul sweatshirt to Walmart. In the Checkout line, the man in front of me said " I saw Ron Paul on the debates a few days ago.... I really liked what he had to say, he made a lot of sense" The man then went on to tell me that he would probably vote for Romney.

Now, I am getting a little better at talking about Ron Paul, so I just slow played it a little bit at this point, and said that Ron was the only candidate I could trust, and that he was consistent and constitutional. I then rolled the dice, and threw it out there that Ron gets more donations from military personnel than ALL other candidate COMBINED.

The Man, then told me that he was retired from the airforce, and that he had had one son blown up in Afganistan, and another son who killed himself after coming home from Iraq. He got really excited and wanted to know more about Ron's Foriegn policy. He really liked what I told him about non interventionism.

He asked me if I worked for Ron Paul, so i told him Im just a volunteer, but that I did what I could to help, like Phone from home, donate to moneybombs, and that i was going up to Iowa to canvass for the Caucus.

At this point his wife was getting really impatient and started to drag him away, but not before he gave me is email, and said he wanted to donate to the moneybomb, and maybe even go to Iowa, because this was something he really believed in.

So after I got home today, I sent him an email giving condolences for his families sacrifices, and then added a TON of Ron Paul videos, speeches, and linked him to here, Daily Paul, and the moneybomb.

I am feeling really good right now. I mean it feels like *He's catching on, Im telling you*

Lord Xar
12-14-2011, 01:46 AM
awesome job! awesome story!

WIwarrior
12-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Awesome job man! That's a cool story and it's things like that that will help us win.

PauliticsPolitics
12-14-2011, 01:49 AM
A+

ronpaulyourmom
12-14-2011, 02:10 AM
Awesome job dude, I hope you sent him this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8NhRPo0WAo

J_White
12-14-2011, 02:12 AM
good work !

Ricky201
12-14-2011, 02:13 AM
So today I wore my Ron Paul sweatshirt to Walmart. In the Checkout line, the man in front of me said " I saw Ron Paul on the debates a few days ago.... I really liked what he had to say, he made a lot of sense" The man then went on to tell me that he would probably vote for Romney.

Now, I am getting a little better at talking about Ron Paul, so I just slow played it a little bit at this point, and said that Ron was the only candidate I could trust, and that he was consistent and constitutional. I then rolled the dice, and threw it out there that Ron gets more donations from military personnel than ALL other candidate COMBINED.

The Man, then told me that he was retired from the airforce, and that he had had one son blown up in Afganistan, and another son who killed himself after coming home from Iraq. He got really excited and wanted to know more about Ron's Foriegn policy. He really liked what I told him about non interventionism.

He asked me if I worked for Ron Paul, so i told him Im just a volunteer, but that I did what I could to help, like Phone from home, donate to moneybombs, and that i was going up to Iowa to canvass for the Caucus.

At this point his wife was getting really impatient and started to drag him away, but not before he gave me is email, and said he wanted to donate to the moneybomb, and maybe even go to Iowa, because this was something he really believed in.

So after I got home today, I sent him an email giving condolences for his families sacrifices, and then added a TON of Ron Paul videos, speeches, and linked him to here, Daily Paul, and the moneybomb.

I am feeling really good right now. I mean it feels like *He's catching on, Im telling you*

God my heart breaks for that father. RP 2012 so this man may never have to bury another child!

silk30
12-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Uplifting story bud, thank you for sharing that with us :)

Qdog
12-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Uplifting story bud, thank you for sharing that with us :)
Yeah, on one hand I am stoked, but on the other Im just completely heartbroken that so many people had to die for people to start waking up.

PursuePeace
12-14-2011, 02:46 AM
God my heart breaks for that father.

So does mine. I can't imagine the pain that family must go through having to deal with so much heartbreak.

Qdog, great job at spreading the word.

gerryb
12-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Wow.

From a Romney voter to a moneybomb donor and boots on the ground in one conversation.

That is a sad story about his son's, though.

LeJimster
12-14-2011, 03:16 AM
Wonderful story. Great job.

lib3rtarian
12-14-2011, 03:22 AM
It just makes me angry that so many lives are sacrificed at the altars of the whims of the politicians. Thank you for making that person see the light.

mikeforliberty
12-14-2011, 03:27 AM
poor guy, let's bring the rest of my brothers and sisters home...

Student Of Paulism
12-14-2011, 03:32 AM
Yeah, on one hand I am stoked, but on the other Im just completely heartbroken that so many people had to die for people to start waking up.

It's funny, Stalin once said: One man's death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic. As much of a psychopath as he was, even he knew how so many people dying is difficult to grasp, so instead, you just shrug it off, which is why most dont question or express much emotion over how many die across the world due to senseless wars. Yet, one or two people die and a person tends to sympathize a lot more. I think if more people had a better understanding of how terrible it is, they would fully grasp Ron's policies much easier.

In this case here though, the guy lost his own son, so its even more amplified.

This also proves that how many out there just arent aware of what Ron Paul advocates that much, since he isnt spotlighted like Mitt and Newt are. Not everyone has the time to be on the net and research a lot, so they only go by what their papers or TV says, and well, unfortunately, they get brainwashed by all the manipulative networks out there and get suckered into voting for the status-quo, when they would probably love someone like Ron. Really goes to show how easily some can be converted, doesnt even take much :-/

Qdog
12-14-2011, 03:45 AM
It's funny, Stalin once said: One man's death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic. As much of a psychopath as he was, even he knew how so many people dying is difficult to grasp, so instead, you just shrug it off, which is why most dont question or express much emotion over how many die across the world due to senseless wars. Yet, one or two people die and a person tends to sympathize a lot more. I think if more people had a better understanding of how terrible it is, they would fully grasp Ron's policies much easier.

In this case here though, the guy lost his own son, so its even more amplified.

This also proves that how many out there just arent aware of what Ron Paul advocates that much, since he isnt spotlighted like Mitt and Newt are. Not everyone has the time to be on the net and research a lot, so they only go by what their papers or TV says, and well, unfortunately, they get brainwashed by all the manipulative networks out there and get suckered into voting for the status-quo, when they would probably love someone like Ron. Really goes to show how easily some can be converted, doesnt even take much :-/

You are right. I think so many of us are anti-war because of economic reasons, and maybe because these wars we are in right now are completely pointless and wasteful. But when you get right down to it... its pretty difficult to EVER justify a war whenever you consider how absolutely terrible it is. The pain we feel here in America must be only a tiny fraction of the pain and suffering and death that we bring to the world in the name of... democracy, or "freedom" or whatever.

I personally am deeply affected when I see pictures of Iraqi toddlers with limbs freshly blown off. Whats even worse for me though, is how our own dead are dishonored by the media claiming that our men and women are dying in the name of freedom and to protect us, when in reality we become less and less free every day with the patriot act, assassination of American citizens, checkpoints TSA, you name it.

moonshineplease
12-14-2011, 04:29 AM
You are right. I think so many of us are anti-war because of economic reasons, and maybe because these wars we are in right now are completely pointless and wasteful. But when you get right down to it... its pretty difficult to EVER justify a war whenever you consider how absolutely terrible it is. The pain we feel here in America must be only a tiny fraction of the pain and suffering and death that we bring to the world in the name of... democracy, or "freedom" or whatever.

I personally am deeply affected when I see pictures of Iraqi toddlers with limbs freshly blown off. Whats even worse for me though, is how our own dead are dishonored by the media claiming that our men and women are dying in the name of freedom and to protect us, when in reality we become less and less free every day with the patriot act, assassination of American citizens, checkpoints TSA, you name it.

Really puts that whole "I like Ron Paul except his foreign policy..." cop out to shame doesnt it?

affa
12-14-2011, 04:46 AM
i feel so sorry that man lost two of his sons.

Muwahid
12-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Nice one. These little moments paint a bigger picture of how recognizable he's becoming :D

limequat
12-14-2011, 08:01 AM

An ad with 3 or 4 people like that telling their story would really bring the point home. My heart breaks for that guy, and we know there are thousands of stories like his. AND FOR WHAT???

pinkmandy
12-14-2011, 08:35 AM
My condolences to his family. That is so sad, so devastating. It shouldn't be that way and I wish all the senseless wars would stop now so not another father, mother, wife, child, husband, brother, sister, etc. will have a similar loss in the future. Life is too precious and short enough already. :(

I'd like to suggest passing along this compilation video to your new acquaintance as it has old clips and he makes *very* strong points on going to war and what a litmus test should be for taking such a major action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWxaGRZ7Nrs

wgadget
12-14-2011, 08:36 AM
I have added to your Reputation, sir.

LawnWake
12-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Oh God. The fact that he's already lost his sons to war, but is still inspired to keep other parents from losing their children is really heartwarming. It speaks volumes of his character. Really inspirational.

MJU1983
12-14-2011, 08:41 AM
The Man, then told me that he was retired from the airforce, and that he had had one son blown up in Afganistan, and another son who killed himself after coming home from Iraq.

That makes me feel sick. :(

Brought tears to my eyes...

jeremiahj13
12-14-2011, 12:55 PM
This story brings more tears to my heart then joy, I just wish his sons didn't have to go through that. May they rest in peace, and may God shine upon them in Heaven.

teacherone
12-14-2011, 01:29 PM
thread title of the month.

limequat
12-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Excuse me if this is cheesy, but this thread makes me thing of this White Lion song:

little child
dry your crying eyes
how can I explain
the fear you feel inside
cause you were born
into this evil world
where man is killing man
and no one knows just why
what we have become
just look what we have done
all that we destroyed
you must build again

when the children cry
let them know we tried
cause when the children sing
then the new world begins

little child
you must show the way
to a better day
for all the young
cause you were born
for all the world to see
that we all can live
with love and peace
no more presidents
and all the wars will end
one united world
under god

when the children cry
let them know we tried
cause when the children sing
then the new world begins

ropo
12-14-2011, 01:36 PM
You should link him to the Thanksgiving debate, when Paul is asked about the justification of war. He talks about soldiers dieing in the wars and also coming home and committing suicide, and how devastating it is to the family.

Apparition
12-14-2011, 01:43 PM
I've had good luck with "Ron Paul gets more donations from military servicemembers than all other candidates combined including Obama"... it makes their ears perk a little bit and takes them aback somewhat.

The key to talking to people is to not come off as defensive but just as knowledgeable about his positions and presenting in a way that makes sense...

The two comments I hear the most is that "he's not going to win" (which now is going to be a LOT easier to defend)... which usually I would respond that he pretty much has the most individual donors that are regular everyday people, unlike Romney and Perry who have more money, but it comes from fewer people/entities with deeper pockets. I also cite several of the straw polls won and just submit that we shouldn't worry about who's going to win, but that we should vote based on the candidate that best reflects YOU and has YOU at heart, and that I personally don't see that with any other candidate except for Ron Paul.

The other comment I hear is about foreign policy.. and the military donation is a great starter for that one and from there you just gotta feel the person out and see what their specific concerns are. I've won a lot of people over this way though, and especially among the people that knew me since last election cycle when it was cool to call him "kooky" and "crazy" and how now the detractors from last time are more curious than anything else..

Anyway.. good job on the conversion. It can be done. =)

Athan
12-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Man my condolences for his family's loss.

Romulus
12-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Good job!

so sad about his kids.... :(