PDA

View Full Version : Why not Google AdSense and ADWord?

Barrex
12-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Sorry if this was allready mentioned (and it probably was) but I couldnt find it. Why doesnt this forum uses Google AdSense and Goolge AdWord?
At this time:
-There are currently 1008 users online. 321 members and 687 guests
-Users active in the past 24 hours:15943 Users have visited the forum. 1682 members and 14261 guests
-Members 33,846

With forum active like this one there could be some substantial money in it. Forum could earn from 2 cents to $15 per click on ad.These are some serious numbers here and I see some serious potential here. It is simple way to get some cash withouth any investment. Why it wasnt done? Moral issues or something like that? Would forum members object advertising on this forum? I personally wouldnt mind if it means bringing in few bucks.

Again sorry if this was asked but I couldnt find it.

Kluge
12-13-2011, 06:40 PM
It was removed as a gift, of sorts, around the time there was a moneybomb for the forum and the software was upgraded.

People constantly complained because there were so many politically-themed ads for a political site. We'd talk about folks like Perry or Palin, and then their ads would run at the bottom, leading to spazzes spazzing out about the forum admin endorsing rival candidates. Became very tedious. Fwiw, there is advertising at the bottom of almost all RPFs pages -- I think Josh charges something like $150 per box if it's for commercial use.

I wouldn't mind seeing RPFs Amazon referral links tied to important liberty-themed books, though.

Barrex
12-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks for response. When was that? I ask because not gooble Adsense got tools to block certain categories of ads (political, offensive etc.)
http://savvyblogging.net/how-to-block-offensive-google-adsense-ads/

Also is it rude to ask how much was forum earning from advertisment? (in some cultires it is rude in some it is not.....)

Kluge
12-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for response. When was that? I ask because not gooble Adsense got tools to block certain categories of ads (political, offensive etc.)
http://savvyblogging.net/how-to-block-offensive-google-adsense-ads/

Also is it rude to ask how much was forum earning from advertisment? (in some cultires it is rude in some it is not.....)
Political ads get the most clicks on a political site, so they wanted to keep that very popular category, but they had to blacklist every liberty-unfriendly advertisement specifically or folks'd start up threads claiming the admins are double-agents.

IIRC, the forum was earning a slight bit more than it cost to operate the forum when using AdSense -- I don't recall specific numbers. I'm not sure exactly when the specific fundraiser was (mid-late 2010 sounds right)... they upgraded the forum's hardware, too, assuming higher bandwidth use this cycle.

The forum's also paid for through paid memberships, which give a few minor extra features. Bigger PM inbox size, ability to post links and images in signatures, larger avatars, can change user title, can opt-out of showing as "online." Probably a few I'm forgetting -- I think they charge something like $20/yr.

Edit: Oh -- and folks'd occasionally have the bright idea of posting threads encouraging members to click on ads of RP's political rivals to funnel money from their campaigns into the forum's coffers, which was probably a bit of a hassle for the mods & admin to lock and post something along the lines of "do not click ads which do not interest you."

smartguy911
12-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Most regular users will never click on ads because they will realize where the ads are and skip it each time. Only new visitors might click on ads and even after a while they will start ignoring the ads in the forum. So, i think it's smart move by admins to not show ads to users who are logged in.