PDA

View Full Version : Education: getting rid of DOE

Nickwanz
12-13-2011, 06:18 PM
People keep telling me the DOE stops states like texas from influenciing the rest of the school boards and teaching creationism in school and whatnot.

Heres a qoute:

"The DOE was created because our education policies left to the states were inadequate. and left to the market texas board of education filled with zealots would flood our schools with nonsenseI agree with cutting and efficiency but you lose me and the argument when u want to abolish things really for no reason other than you dont like them.None of those departments are why were in a recession, in debt or have a defecit"

How should I retort?

NewRightLibertarian
12-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Just tell him that the Department of Education has done an absolutely horrible job, and his fear of religious zealots is nonsensical. Cut them for the perfectly valid reason that it doesn't work at all.

Nickwanz
12-13-2011, 06:26 PM
I've kinda said that, but more specifiaclly, how do I fight the claims that states like texas would influence other state boards. I may be a bit naive on this but how does something like that(one state board influencing another) even work? How would it be prevented without the DOE?

playboymommy
12-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Not that the guy would care but the DOE is not authorized in the Constitution. Why is he so convinced that unelected bureaucrats know better how to meet the educational needs of children than local communities and parents of those children? Does he think it's just a coincidence that since the DOE was started the quality of education has gone down while the price goes up?

I work in Early Intervention for pre-schoolers with developmental and speech delays. Our teachers spend more time on useless mandated DOE paperwork than on time actually working with the children. Because of DOE regulations, many children can't receive the help they need. For example the DOE states that only the Intermediate Unit of a particular area may service a child. If the child lives in the area of one Intermediate Unit, yet attends school in the area of a different Intermediate Unit, neither Unit may provide services for that child because IUs must stay in their own area. The DOE prevents the State and local counties from meeting their own needs. I also get to see millions of tax dollars wasted on regulations determining what products we can purchase from what companies down to what children are permitted to benefit from the use of those products.

As a parent, my local school does not answer to me or my child's needs. They have to obey DOE regulations. So when I go to the principal and the teachers about how a 10 minute recess does not meet the physical needs of most school age children, they tell me to contact my representatives to change the laws. The DOE prevents parents from holding schools accountable for how children are taught. Education is a State issue and it should reflect the views of the most local people.

Dr.3D
12-13-2011, 09:29 PM
As for this....

None of those departments are why were in a recession, in debt or have a defecit
They don't help the problem either. Each one of them wastes the taxpayer money and eliminating them cuts that waste.

Feeding the Abscess
12-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Texas school books already influence the curriculum around the country, about on equal footing with California.

Without the Department of Education, things will... be the same.

acptulsa
12-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Officially, the DOE is the Department of Energy. The Department of Education is the ED.

Which just goes to show just how bad things have gotten...

ShaneEnochs
12-16-2011, 10:32 PM
If that person feels that the state is inadequate, why not elect better Board of Education members? They would have far more power without the DoE.

acptulsa
12-16-2011, 10:40 PM
ED, Shane, ED.

Yeah, you know, my favorite trick when I encounter people who think we can't live without ED is to say, so you like the fact that since it was created in 1980 American education has demonstrably gone downhill? And my second favorite trick is to say, so you like the department that makes No Child Left Behind possible?

ShaneEnochs
12-16-2011, 10:46 PM
ED, Shane, ED.

hm?