PDA

View Full Version : Newt Gingrich Newt Gingrich supported a National ID Card in an immigration bill

rambone
12-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Newt supported an immigration bill that created a de facto National ID Card. I would like some more info on this if anyone can find it. Please discuss.

National ID Card (http://www.jonchristianryter.com/2001/NatlID.html) - John Christian Ryter

Selected to create not only the House version of the Immigration Reform Act of 1996 into which the National ID Card (camouflaged as a national drivers’ license) was a “conservative” Republican, Congressman Lamar Smith [R-TX]. Smith’s job was to quietly lobby his fellow Congressmen and get the National ID Card inserted in the legislation (in the form of a national driver’s license). But, something went wrong with Smith’s plan. The U.S. Senate had already clandestinely passed their version of the bill with the National ID Card intact. Smith, nor Gingrich, counted on the Freshman Class of ‘94 upsetting the apple cart.

Newt Tried to Install Internal Passports on Us in 1998 - Guess Who Stopped Him? (http://therepublicanmother.blogspot.com/2011/12/newt-tried-to-install-internal.html?spref=fb)

Gingrich's failed midnight battle to impose an "Internal Passport" on the American people. (http://www.jonchristianryter.com/Plain_Talk/111206.html)

Here is the bill itself... I think??? :confused:
5 USC 301 - Sec. 301 (http://us-code.vlex.com/vid/sec-departmental-regulations-19266218)

IMPROVEMENTS IN IDENTIFICATION-RELATED DOCUMENTS Pub. L. 104-208, div. C, title VI, Sec. 656, Sept. 30, 1996, 110 Stat. 3009-716, as amended by Pub. L. 106-69, title III, Sec. 355, Oct. 9, 1999, 113 Stat. 1027, provided that: "(a) Birth Certificates. - "(1) Standards for acceptance by federal agencies. - "(A) In general. - "(i) General rule. - Subject to clause (ii), a Federal agency may not accept for any official purpose a certificate of birth, unless the certificate - "(I) is a birth certificate (as defined in paragraph (3)); and "(II) conforms to the standards set forth in the regulation promulgated under subparagraph (B). "(ii) Applicability. - Clause (i) shall apply only to a certificate of birth issued after the day that is 3 years after the date of the promulgation of a final regulation under subparagraph (B). Clause (i) shall not be construed to prevent a Federal agency from accepting for official purposes any certificate of birth issued on or before such day. "(B) Regulation. - "(i) Consultation with government agencies. - The President shall select 1 or more Federal agencies to consult with State vital statistics offices, and with other appropriate Federal agencies designated by the President, for the purpose of developing appropriate standards for birth certificates that may be accepted for official purposes by Federal agencies, as provided in subparagraph (A). "(ii) Selection of lead agency. - Of the Federal agencies selected under clause (i), the President shall select 1 agency to promulgate, upon the conclusion of the consultation conducted under such clause, a regulation establishing standards of the type described in such clause. "(iii) Deadline. - The agency selected under clause (ii) shall promulgate a final regulation under such clause not later than the date that is 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act [Sept. 30, 1996]. "(iv) Minimum requirements. - The standards established under this subparagraph - "(I) at a minimum, shall require certification of the birth certificate by the State or local custodian of record that issued the certificate, and shall require the use of safety paper, the seal of the issuing custodian of record, and other features designed to limit tampering, counterfeiting, and photocopying, or otherwise duplicating, the birth certificate for fraudulent purposes; "(II) may not require a single design to which birth certificates issued by all States must conform; and "(III) shall accommodate the differences between the States in the manner and form in which birth records are stored and birth certificates are produced from such records. "(2) Grants to states. - "(A) Assistance in meeting federal standards. - "(i) In general. - Beginning on the date a final regulation is promulgated under paragraph (1)(B), the Secretary of Health and Human Services, acting through the Director of the National Center for Health Statistics and after consulting with the head of any other agency designated by the President, shall make grants to States to assist them in issuing birth certificates that conform to the standards set forth in the regulation. "(ii) Allocation of grants. - The Secretary shall provide grants to States under this subparagraph in proportion to the populations of the States applying to receive a grant and in an amount needed to provide a substantial incentive for States to issue birth certificates that conform to the standards described in clause (i). "(B) Assistance in matching birth and death records. - "(i) In general. - The Secretary of Health and Human Services, acting through the Director of the National Center for Health Statistics and after consulting with the head of any other agency designated by the President, shall make grants to States to assist them in developing the capability to match birth and death records, within each State and among the States, and to note the fact of death on the birth certificates of deceased persons.

In developing the capability described in the preceding sentence, a State that receives a grant under this subparagraph shall focus first on individuals born after 1950. "(ii) Allocation and amount of grants. - The Secretary shall provide grants to States under this subparagraph in proportion to the populations of the States applying to receive a grant and in an amount needed to provide a substantial incentive for States to develop the capability described in clause (i). "(C) Demonstration projects. - The Secretary of Health and Human Services, acting through the Director of the National Center for Health Statistics, shall make grants to States for a project in each of 5 States to demonstrate the feasibility of a system under which persons otherwise required to report the death of individuals to a State would be required to provide to the State's office of vital statistics sufficient information to establish the fact of death of every individual dying in the State within 24 hours of acquiring the information. "(3) Birth certificate. - As used in this subsection, the term 'birth certificate' means a certificate of birth - "(A) of - "(i) an individual born in the United States; or "(ii) an individual born abroad - "(I) who is a citizen or national of the United States at birth; and "(II) whose birth is registered in the United States; and "(B) that - "(i) is a copy, issued by a State or local authorized custodian of record, of an original certificate of birth issued by such custodian of record; or "(ii) was issued by a State or local authorized custodian of record and was produced from birth records maintained by such custodian of record. "[(b) Repealed.

Here is Ron Paul's bill to abolish National ID cards of any form.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c106:H.R.220: (sponsored by Ron Paul)

To amend title II of the Social Security Act and the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to protect the integrity and confidentiality of Social Security account numbers issued under such title, to prohibit the establishment in the Federal Government of any uniform national identifying number, and to prohibit Federal agencies from imposing standards for identification of individuals on other agencies or persons.

(c) REPEALER- Any provision of Federal law enacted before, on, or after the date of the enactment of this Act that is inconsistent with subsection (a) or (b) is repealed, including sections 1173(b) and 1177(a)(1) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1320d-2(b); 42 U.S.C. 1320d-6(a)(1)) and section 656 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (5 U.S.C. 301 note).

7/15/1998:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a5DTeVSUjo