PDA

View Full Version : Will This Year's Ron Paul Tea Party Money Bomb Match 2007?

qwerty
12-13-2011, 10:28 AM
The Ron Paul campaign is much better organized than it was four years ago, but with all the money bombs and fundraisers held so far, do the rank and file of the Ron Paul Revolution have another $6 million day left in them?
by Walt Thiessen
(libertarian)
Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Four years ago, on December 16, 2007, the Ron Paul Revolution made election history by raising $6 million online in one day in support of the anti-Fed doctor's presidential campaign. That year, the campaign was a startup in every way. It was poorly organized, and the fervent energies of Paul's followers were largely dissipated in the grand scheme of things. Despite those handicaps, they managed to raise $6 million in a single day on the anniversay of the Boston Tea Party, and in the process raised headlines and eyebrows around the country.

The 2011 campaign is substantially different. Gone are the grassroots-organized money bombs, replaced by a well-organized, well-oiled political machine dedicated to harnessing the power of the Ron Paul Revolution and turn it into what they hope will be an electoral victory. By all accounts among the politically astute, the Paul campaign is by far the best organized, the most motivated, and the most likely to show up at the Iowa caucuses in a snowstorm. But unlike 2007 when the Tea Party money bomb was only the third major one of the year, this year's Tea Party money bomb is the next in a long line of money bombs. The question this raises is: how much do his supporters have left to give in 2011?

Under the crazy federal election laws governing contributions to candidates, individuals are permitted to donate a maximum of $2,500 to a single candidate's campaign in a single calendar year. That means that all of Ron Paul's donors who have maxxed out their 2011 contributions cannot participate in this year's edition of the Tea Party money bomb. Once the calendar rolls over to 2012, they will be eligible to give up to another $2,500, but of course by then the 2011 edition of the Tea Party money bomb will be over.

Paul's son, Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, sent a fundraising letter to Paul's supporters yesterday in which he wrote, "Ron Paul's campaign has been counting on this December 16 Tea Party Money Bomb to be a huge success - just like the one in 2007. That's why they've gone all out over the last few months running an incredibly aggressive campaign." He goes on to write, "It's worked. Both Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich are on the defensive and are now struggling to defend their Big Government records."

As it turns out, surprisingly few have maxxed out their contributions. According to the website infowebstorm.com quoting Paul campaign chairman Jesse Benton, "Paul is not pulling in large-dollar donations – just 300 people have given him the maximum of $2,500 this year. But he’s also not appealing to the types who write big checks. On average, Paul’s 110,000 contributors – that’s the largest donor base of any GOP presidential candidate — have given about $110 each."

If that's the case, then the answer to the question I'm raising here is an unqualified, "yes". Yes, the Paul campaign can definitely raise $6 million or more in a single day this coming Friday, December 16th. In fact, if all 110,000 contributors (minus the 300 who have already maxxed out) each gave another $100, it would produce a $10 million day and blow the socks off the other Republican candidates, as well as take a lot of the wind out of their sails. This comes as yet another poll has been released, this time by the American Research Group, showing Paul within just five points of frontrunner Newt Gingrich, 17% to 22% and in a tie with Mitt Romney. With the Paul campaign's searing TV ads running in Iowa that take Newt Gingrich to task for all his personal monetary gains made from his Washington connections, suggesting that Gingrich is doing so at taxpayer expense, combined with a new windfall in the campaign war chest, this could mean another lead change is about take place in Iowa with just under three weeks left before the caucuses.

But we cannot get ahead of ourselves. Right now, the Paul campaign is trying to raise money this Friday. The question remains: will his stalwart army of contributors come through again?

http://www.nolanchart.com/article9167-will-this-years-ron-paul-tea-party-money-bomb-match-2007.html

Thumb up the article from up right!

share on FB & twitter from down of article!

vote up in reddit!

www. reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/nb3zu/will_this_years_ron_paul_tea_party_money_bomb/

www .reddit.com/r/ronpaul/comments/nayd4/will_this_years_ron_paul_tea_party_money_bomb/?already_submitted=true

nobody's_hero
12-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I bid that the campaign's website crashes at least 4 times due to traffic. Anyone think it will be more?

qwerty
12-13-2011, 11:29 AM
I bid that the campaign's website crashes at least 4 times due to traffic. Anyone think it will be more?

I saw that they said that they will have everybody working! ;)

nobody's_hero
12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I saw that they said that they will have everybody working! ;)

Plus this moneybomb comes right on the heels of Thursday night's debate in which Neil Cavuto will be moderating. All Ron Paul has to do is say the words 'tea party moneybomb' in the debate and I think the donations will flow in faster than the computers can count them.

I hope Cavuto gives him an opening to mention it.

Liberty_Mike
12-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Unfortunately I don't think it will. Reason I say that is because none of the 2011 money bombs have been able to match the support they had in 2007.