PDA

View Full Version : Gingrich ‘proposed the death penalty for 2 ounces of marijuana’

libertyfan101
12-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Over the weekend, struggling Republican presidential candidate Gary Johnson reminded MSNBC viewers that GOP frontrunner Newt Gingrich had once to called to punish some drug offenders with death.

“Newt Gingrich, in 1997, proposed the death penalty for marijuana — for possession of marijuana above a certain quantity of marijuana,” Johnson explained. “And yet, he is among 100 million Americans who’ve smoked marijuana.”

“I would love to have a discussion with him on the fact that he smoked pot, and under the wrong set of circumstance he proposed the death penalty for, potentially, something that he had committed. I have troubles with that,” he added.

Johnson, a former New Mexico governor who has advocated for marijuana legalization since 1999, is at least partially correct about Gingrich’s position.

As Speaker of the House, Gingrich introduced the “Drug Importer Death Penalty Act of 1996.”

The bill would have required a “sentence of death for certain importations of significant quantities of controlled substances.” It would have applied to anyone convicted more than once of carrying 100 doses — or about two ounces — or marijuana across the border. Defendants would have had a window of 18 months to file their one and only appeal.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/12/12/gary-johnson-gingrich-proposed-the-death-penalty-for-marijuana/

Schiff_FTW
12-13-2011, 08:52 AM
“See, when I smoked pot it was illegal, but not immoral,” Gingrich reportedly told Wall Street Journal reporter Hilary Stout in 1996. “Now, it is illegal AND immoral. The law didn’t change, only the morality… That’s why you get to go to jail and I don’t.”

WTF? Newt Gingrich, arbitrator of all that is moral, lol...

If Newt gets the nomination I'm voting Obama personally.

Elwar
12-13-2011, 10:19 AM
No way Newt wins California if this gets out.

V4Vendetta
12-13-2011, 10:21 AM
This is EXACTLY why a maniac like him should never get in the executive branch!!!! HE will destroy this country, will make Bush look like a nice guy!

Philhelm
12-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow. Just wow.

Edit: These people are fucking insane!!!

William R
12-13-2011, 10:48 AM
bump

oyarde
12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I guess nobody knew Newt was an Iranian Judge ...

dannno
12-13-2011, 11:59 AM
“If you import a commercial quantity of illegal drugs, it is because you have made the personal decision that you are prepared to get rich by destroying our children,” the Georgia Republican said at a fundraiser for Rep. Charlie Norwood (R-GA) in 1995. “I have made the decision that I love our children enough that we will kill you if you do this.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

ravedown
12-13-2011, 12:33 PM
wow- this article is almost to crazy to be believed. this could really do some damage- especially with younger voters. wonder how he will back peddle from this?

pauliticalfan
12-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Can someone please tell me how morality changes? Why is something okay when Newt does it but immoral when someone else does?

oyarde
12-13-2011, 12:36 PM
wow- this article is almost to crazy to be believed. this could really do some damage- especially with younger voters. wonder how he will back peddle from this? I dunno , but he has to.

RonPaulFanInGA
12-13-2011, 12:48 PM
No way Newt wins California if this gets out.

What Republican would win California against Obama anyway?

oyarde
12-13-2011, 12:49 PM
What Republican would win California against Obama anyway? I was thinking about that as well ? .......

Justinfrom1776
12-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I have Newt in 3rd Place.

1. Ron Paul
2. Everyone Else
3. Newt

Danke
12-13-2011, 12:53 PM
He would make a great president...

of Singapore.

jFico89
12-13-2011, 01:36 PM
http://libertyhumor.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/demotivational-posters-the-war-on-drugs1.jpg?w=700&h=

libertyfan101
12-13-2011, 04:53 PM
2 oz's? Damn I would have been killed many times with the Newt.

Diurdi
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Can someone please tell me how morality changes? Why is something okay when Newt does it but immoral when someone else does? It would probably have killed a large part of congress and the judicial branch as well...

123tim
12-13-2011, 05:14 PM
WTF? Newt Gingrich, arbitrator of all that is moral, lol...

If Newt gets the nomination I'm voting Obama personally.

If Newt gets the nomination I'm voting Ron Paul personally.

DamianTV
12-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Voting Ron Paul at that point wont make a damn bit of difference. The difference you CAN make is to make sure that potential Ron Paul supporters are fully on board. Get them to spread the message, and if you happen to run into a Gingrich Supporter, try to find out whether or not they smoke Pot, that should be sufficient to change their minds immediately.

jmdrake
12-13-2011, 05:19 PM

^This. And if Newt get's the presidency I'm changing my residency. And I don't even do drugs.

jmdrake
12-13-2011, 05:22 PM
What Republican would win California against Obama anyway?

I think he's talking about the primary. Of course the GOP nominee is usually anointed before California votes. This could kill Newt in New Hampshire. Any other free thinking early voting states? Florida maybe?

dannno
12-13-2011, 05:43 PM

I'd vote for Ahmadinejad if he were running against Newt.

123tim
12-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Voting Ron Paul at that point wont make a damn bit of difference. The difference you CAN make is to make sure that potential Ron Paul supporters are fully on board. Get them to spread the message, and if you happen to run into a Gingrich Supporter, try to find out whether or not they smoke Pot, that should be sufficient to change their minds immediately.

Point well taken.

I'd vote for Ahmadinejad if he were running against Newt.

Danno, I think that we both know better. :)
This is exactly what the establishment wants us to do.

However, I know what you mean. I also know that you'd do the right thing.

Stevo_Chill
12-13-2011, 07:27 PM
I propose the death penalty for any federal politician or worker who infringes on the constitution.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
12-13-2011, 08:19 PM
“See, when I smoked pot it was illegal, but not immoral,” Gingrich reportedly told Wall Street Journal reporter Hilary Stout in 1996. “Now, it is illegal AND immoral. The law didn’t change, only the morality… That’s why you get to go to jail and I don’t.”

And I thought Dick Morris was a disgusting piece of shit

DamianTV
12-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Off topic, but does anyone know what Newt Gingrich's stance is on Abortion: Pro Choice, Pro Life, because he is the type of person that makes me want to support Post Birth Abortion, and I sincerely believe that people like Newt Gingrich need to have a Post Birth Abortion applied to them, for being as completely hypocritical and corrupt as is humanly possible, of course, at the same time, I dont even much think that Newt Gingrich qualifies as a shitty excuse for a Human Being any more.

Imaginos
12-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Gingrich should be stripped of US citizenship and deported to Israel.
A guys who married 3 times and flip-flopping day and night is the last person who should talk about morality of marijuana usage.
Look after your morality first before start crusade about others morality, Mr. flip-flopper.

NC Liberty
12-13-2011, 08:49 PM
What exactly is immoral about marijuana usage anyways? All those innocent snacks destroyed? All that robbing and stealing going on? Newt, you sir, are a moron.

Kylie
12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
What a hypocrite. If I ever get the chance to meet him, I will totally kick him in the balls. Shared on facebook.

Kluge
12-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Seems like a good one to spread far and wide. I doubt even a large minority of capital punishment Republicans would think allowing courts to order the death of a fellow with 2oz marijuana after only one appeal is at all reasonable.

thehungarian
12-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Two ounces ain't shit. He'd be killing a hell of a lot of people.

DamianTV
12-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Here is a solution. Legalize Pot. Make Corruption Illegal, in Congress, Pharma, and Banking. But what we have is the exact opposite.

oyarde
12-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Voting Ron Paul at that point wont make a damn bit of difference. The difference you CAN make is to make sure that potential Ron Paul supporters are fully on board. Get them to spread the message, and if you happen to run into a Gingrich Supporter, try to find out whether or not they smoke Pot, that should be sufficient to change their minds immediately. It is not really polite in this day and age to ask such a thing , instead , if you do , light one up and pass it , if they hit it , you have your answer ;)

Philhelm
12-14-2011, 12:54 PM
I like how people in government can threaten the lives of millions, and actually have the means to carry through with their threats, while if an individual threatens someone in government they'll be hauled off.