PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT: Let's write a caucus speech together!!

GHoeberX
12-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Let me start by stressing the importance of caucus speeches:

The Caucus Speech is far more important than phonebanking, sending superbrochures or donating money
There are a lot of things which can be help our election result in Iowa. We can send superbrochures, we can phonebank people from Iowa, we can donate money to the campaign to get more ads on television, but I think in the end what really really matter most is that we have some really good speeches at the caucuses. There are a lot of undecided voters, and there's nothing more powerful then the right message on the right time to exactly the right group of people. (Compare: the people we targetted with phonebanking/brochures might not even go to a caucus for whatever reason or have forgotten the information, because it was 3 weeks before the caucus)

The speechwriting contest
The campaign has organized a speech-writing contest, which I think is really good. You can find more details here:
http://www.dailypaul.com/189268/speech-contest-to-help-ron-paul-win-in-iowa
Judges will be Tom Woods and John Dennis. (Deadline friday 15th!)

Since I think one more topic about it might be useful, I've tried to write a first draft of a speech over the past 45 minutes. It would be great if you will also join the topic and drop your speech here, or comment on others. By learning from each other, we might be able to end up with a really great speech at the end of this topic.

-------------
A speech I wrote to get the topic going:
Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

I have some questions for you.
Do you believe that we are heading in the right direction with our country? Over the past years? Over the past decades? I don’t believe so. And neither does the majority of people nowadays.

But who is to blame for the nations ills? The president blames congress. Congress blames the president. The democrats blame the republicans and the republicans blame the democrats. BUT NOTHING EVER HAPPENS! And every four year a new set of candidates comes along who will tell you that they will bring the change that you need.

So how many times are we going to believe them? How many times are we going to fool ourselves? How many times does it take before we wake up? The smooth-talking candidates who have a long record of flip-flopping and inconsistency are not the leaders we need. We need a president who chooses conviction over compromise, we need a president who we can trust. A person who says what he believes and lives by what he says.

Ron Paul is one of the few politicians, which I’ve ever seen, who will say what he believes in, no matter who he is speaking to. All of the other candidates have the personal goal to become president. For Ron Paul becoming president is not a goal but it’s a way: it is Ron Paul’s way of reaching his personal goal: restoring America to a republic in which the constitution is obeyed and a balanced budget is maintained.

I don’t know much in this crazy crazy world. And I don’t agree with everything Ron Paul says. But I do know that if there’s one thing that matters right now, then it’s our economy. And if there’s one man who can really fix the economy, then it is the man who has predicted its collapse. And that man is also the most honest and principled candidate on which you can vote tonight.

My name is [John Doe] and I’d like you to consider voting for Ron Paul tonight.

Now, let me see your speeches!!

GHoeberX
12-12-2011, 06:11 PM
*OP fixed*

qwerty
12-13-2011, 03:27 AM
BUMP!

libertythor
12-13-2011, 04:56 AM
Bump! The great thing about the caucus system is that there is an opportunity right before the vote to change minds!

jtbraine
12-13-2011, 05:04 AM
mnnmnmnmn

Eric21ND
12-13-2011, 06:58 AM
This should inspire you. The only thing I would add to this guy's speech would be some of the polling showing Ron Paul running strongest against Obama and others losing badly in battleground states. I would mention that he has tremendous pull for independent voters, they decide elections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvJ5XyXl26w

sailingaway
12-13-2011, 07:00 AM
People have to kind of react to the crowd that is at their particular site. As you start a speech you may notice some points going over better than others.

sailingaway
12-13-2011, 07:02 AM
This should inspire you. The only thing I would add to this guy's speech would be some of the polling showing Ron Paul running strongest against Obama and others losing badly in battleground states. I would mention that he has tremendous pull for independent voters, they decide elections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvJ5XyXl26w

I think it is particularly telling that there were two polls last week of likely Iowa caucus goers. One found only 4% of Iowan caucus goers thought Ron Paul was the most likely to beat Obama. the other actually asked who people would VOTE for in a head to head race against Obama, and Ron Paul was the only one to tie Obama, where as Romney and Gingrich were something like 8 and 9 percentage points behind Obama, respectively.

Eric21ND
12-13-2011, 07:13 AM
I think it is particularly telling that there were two polls last week of likely Iowa caucus goers. One found only 4% of Iowan caucus goers thought Ron Paul was the most likely to beat Obama. the other actually asked who people would VOTE for in a head to head race against Obama, and Ron Paul was the only one to tie Obama, where as Romney and Gingrich were something like 8 and 9 percentage points behind Obama, respectively.
People need to be made aware of Ron Paul's strength in the general election against Obama.

Couple questions, how long can caucus speeches in Iowa be? Also can you bring charts? People respond to visuals.

GHoeberX
12-13-2011, 07:38 AM
People need to be made aware of Ron Paul's strength in the general election against Obama.

Couple questions, how long can caucus speeches in Iowa be? Also can you bring charts? People respond to visuals.

The only question which I might be able to answer: I think the speech should be max. 2 minutes. Don't know if it's allowed to bring charts/visuals.

CaptUSA
12-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Here's how I would do it:

Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for coming tonight. We have an extremely important task to accomplish here tonight and the fact that you all came here to participate shows how valuable each of you are.

We have a choice to make. The choice is not simply about which candidate will defeat Obama, it's about how we fix the mess our government has gotten us into. All the candidates are running against Obama, but there is only one candidate running against the idea that government can fix these problems. It should be clear by now that government only makes these things worse. We all know this is true about the economy and domestic issues, but this is also true of this liberal foreign policy our government has been employing.

There is only one candidate who is offering real consistent conservative policies. And that candidate has never been a flip-flopper. That candiate has ALWAYS stayed true to the constitution, even when it is unpopular to do so. That candidate served honorably in our military. That candidate has always stayed true to his vows to his country, to his family, and to God. That candidate will NEVER let you down. And that candidate is Ron Paul.

I know that there are some that will tell you that Dr. Paul is not electable, but look around. When we elect Ron Paul, we will not only get a true conservative, but we will also get an army of dedicated supporters willing to do everything they can to make sure he's successful. No other candidate can bring with him that kind of support. And young people! When is the last time we had a Republican candidate that could inspire young people and bring them into the process?

Tonight we have the opportunity to tell the media that they do not pick our candidate. We have a real opportunity to return this nation to our constitutional principles. This is a very exciting time and this all begins right here tonight! Let's do this thing! Vote to restore America! Vote for Ron Paul.

Thank you.

RonPaul101.com
12-13-2011, 08:44 AM
The only question which I might be able to answer: I think the speech should be max. 2 minutes. Don't know if it's allowed to bring charts/visuals.

Correct, it should be geniune and from the heart, not an insurance seminar. I like the OP's direction in his speech about consistancy and not focusing on one or two issues; you never know who in that room agrees or disagrees with RP on any given position, so keep it about Ron's honest and trustworthy service to this country.

qwerty
12-13-2011, 10:53 AM
BUMP!

brandon
12-13-2011, 10:59 AM
That is a very good speech OP! I would consider adding in something about abortion and making it a touch religious...but it's also fine just the way it is!

Travlyr
12-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Correct, it should be geniune and from the heart, not an insurance seminar. I like the OP's direction in his speech about consistancy and not focusing on one or two issues; you never know who in that room agrees or disagrees with RP on any given position, so keep it about Ron's honest and trustworthy service to this country.
Good points.

Xenophage
12-13-2011, 01:22 PM
"Don't be a pussy, vote Ron Paul."

harikaried
12-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Here's the latest from my thread Help me prepare my Iowa stump speech for caucus night (take 2) (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?336418-Help-me-prepare-my-Iowa-stump-speech-for-caucus-night-%28take-2%29)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zde9yQFc0z8

This year, many of us have one of three main concerns for a candidate: 1) the economy, 2) electability, and 3) integrity.

Fortunately for us, there is a candidate that satisfies all three -- Congressman Ron Paul.

Number 1: the economy. We want someone who will save our country from the massive debt and overspending.

Ron Paul predicted back in 2001 of the housing bubble and ensuing financial crisis. These were not a random guesses; he understands the economy. He has a Plan to Restore America to create jobs and to save the economy. It starts by cutting $1 trillion in spending in the very first year. This bold plan balances the budget in the first term while also reducing taxes. It also never breaks our promises to seniors and veterans, so programs like Social Security are safe.

Number 2: electability. We want someone who can beat Obama.

Ron Paul does very well in general election match-up polls. In fact, recent polls show him consistently tieing or beating Obama. If we focus on Independent voters, he is the candidate who beats Obama, and he beats Obama by double digits. Independent voters are key to winning the general election. They too care about the economy, and they want Ron Paul's Plan to Restore America.

Number 3: integrity. We want someone who is consistent and will keep his word.

Ron Paul has kept his vow to his one high school sweetheart, now wife of 55 years. He has kept his Hippocratic oath by delivering over 4000 babies and zero abortions. He has kept his oath to defend the Constitution when he served in the Air Force and in 12 terms of Congress by only casting a principled vote for a Constitutionally-limited government. He will keep his oath as President to protect our country with an even stronger national defense.

Ron Paul has a Plan to Restore America.
Ron Paul will beat Obama.
You can trust Ron Paul.

acptulsa
12-13-2011, 01:31 PM
People have to kind of react to the crowd that is at their particular site. As you start a speech you may notice some points going over better than others.

Good point. Not a bad idea to wait until you hear some of the concerns of the people in the room, and then jump in and address those directly. Kind of my thoughts in arranging this thread the way I did:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?330063-Suggest-Caucus-Sound-Bites!

qwerty
12-14-2011, 08:06 AM
BUMP!

Dary
12-14-2011, 08:31 AM
One of the most important things I learned in candidate training was that when you give a speech, you have less then 3 seconds to grab attention and make an impression. You need to hit them with the biggest thing you've got first.

If you open with “ladies and gentleman I'd like to thank you all for coming here tonight. My name is xyz”.... then it is already too late. You've already lost 'em.

Keep it short and sweet. Hit 'em hard, and don't ever mention your opponent by name.

I like your take on it though harikaried, with the bullet points. Very nice. We are all different so we'd all do things differently. Mine could no doubt be better but here goes....

Your vote tonight could very well be what decides the fate of our country.

For we are at a cross roads and it's time we make a decision.

You have to choose.

What will you do?

Right here, right now, you can stand with those who have defended and who are defending this great country on this very day.

They stand with Ron Paul, and so do I. I pray that you do too.

My name is xxxx yyzz and on my honor, I swear that I will defend and protect this beloved land from enemies both foreign and domestic.

If you care to vote for me, I will vote for Ron Paul.

Thank you.

I threw the “If you care to vote for me....” thing in there cuz people want to care. They don't want to come off as uncaring so they are more likely to say yes.

PastaRocket848
12-14-2011, 08:33 AM
this is an excellent idea. a good, crowd-sourced speech, repeated all across the iowa caucuses, could certainly go a long way in helping us out.

Travlyr
01-03-2012, 04:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CoJsx3GFo_Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CoJsx3GFo_Q