PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Handouts to 1 Percent Are Social Security and Medicare (Reason)

dannno
12-12-2011, 12:18 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2011/12/12/biggest-handouts-to-1-percent-are-social

Biggest Handouts to 1 Percent Are Social Security and Medicare

Nick Gillespie | December 12, 2011

John Merline of Investors Business Daily has published a fascinating analysis of $10 billion the government annually gives to the dreaded 1 percent:

Using IRS data, IBD found that the top 1% of income earners claimed approximately $7 billion in Social Security benefits in 2009. That year, the program paid super-rich seniors — those with adjusted gross incomes exceeding $10 million — an average of $33,000 each.

Medicare, meanwhile, paid roughly $2.6 billion in health care subsidies for the richest 1% of enrollees, based on calculations using Medicare enrollment, overall Medicare spending and premium data. (Medicare does not track spending by enrollee income.) And if you consider that 5% of Medicare enrollees have more than $1 million in savings, the amount taxpayers spend to subsidize retiree health benefits skyrockets.

It gets worse from almost any conceivable perspective short of a French aristocrat before the Revolution:

The richest 1%, for example, claimed a total of about $400 million in jobless benefits in 2009. The reason for these billions in payments to the wealthy is that many federal transfer programs don't have income limits on benefits.

"This is not an accidental loophole in the law," Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., noted. "To the contrary, this reverse Robin Hood-style of wealth distribution is an intentional effort to get all Americans bought into a system where everyone appears to benefit." In November, Coburn issued a report focused on federal subsidies going to millionaires.

In addition to direct payments, the top 1% claimed about $31 million in tax credits for buying electric cars, $469 million in home energy credits, and $111 million in child care credits, according to IBD's analysis of IRS tax return data....

"Shifts in the distribution of government transfer payments (since 1979) contributed to the increase in after-tax income inequality," according to a recent study by the Congressional Budget Office. The rapid growth in Medicare, for example, "tended to shift more transfer income to middle- and upper-income households."

The CBO also found that while the poorest fifth of households got 54% of federal transfer payments in 1979, they received just 36% in 2007. Several political leaders and policy groups have proposed changes to reduce federal payments to the super rich.

As you begin pondering the coming generational war and think about ways to create a safety net that isn't just one entitlement program to folks who should be paying their own freight more fully, read the whole thing here.

And read this whole post from a month ago to get your Irish up on a chilly (in D.C. anyway) December Monday morn:

For centuries, wealth flowed from the old and relatively rich to the young and relatively poor. Nowadays, the direction has been reversed. Via FICA taxes, the young and relatively poor give money to the old and relatively wealthy (you not only make more money when you're older, you're sitting on all sorts of assets accrued over time). Every study of Medicare and other entitlements that are not particularly means-tested shows that we can't have both a safety net and an entitlement system that sucks in huge amounts of cash and then gives it to people regardless of need. I think it would be a better world and a fairer world - and a richer world - if the government took in enough money to help the poor and indigent (whatever their age) and let the rest of us keep more of our money and make more of our choices for our futures.

dannno
12-12-2011, 12:19 PM
I think the biggest handouts to the 1% are the bank bailouts, but the article still makes a good point.

No wonder OWS protesters are so pissed off at the 1%

oyarde
12-12-2011, 12:23 PM
I have probably paid in around 120k into Social Security and medicare/medicaid . Is there a form I can fill out to get my money back and opt out :) ??

oyarde
12-12-2011, 12:24 PM
I would also be interested in a Foreign Military aid re imbursement form ....

Seraphim
12-12-2011, 12:27 PM
No. Now go eat a leather boot. Stupid mundanes and their retarted questions...

I have probably paid in around 120k into Social Security and medicare/medicaid . Is there a form I can fill out to get my money back and opt out :) ??

Seraphim
12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Eat the second boot, bitch.

I would also be interested in a Foreign Military aid re imbursement form ....

oyarde
12-12-2011, 12:32 PM
I have changed my mind , I want the form that covers everything not in Article One , Section Eight . Screw the USDA AND Dept of Education .

Sam I am
12-12-2011, 12:34 PM

The average person gets 3 times as much money out of medicare than he/she puts in.

Zippyjuan
12-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Maximum social security paymets are something like $25,000 a year. If a 1% er is collecting Social Security they aren't getting rich off it.
http://www.aarp.org/work/social-security/info-07-2010/maximum_monthly_social_security_benefit.html

A. The maximum benefit depends on the age at which a worker retires. For a worker retiring this year at age 66, the full retirement age, the highest monthly amount is $2,346. This figure is based on earnings at the maximum taxable amount for every year after age 21. In 2009, the average monthly Social Security benefit for a retired worker was about $1,153.

oyarde
12-12-2011, 12:39 PM
The average person gets 3 times as much money out of medicare than he/she puts in. I am not avg :) , I want nothing from them except to be left alone . My wife passed @ 40 , they got to keep all of that , my Father passed in his late 50's , they got to keep all of that . I have made enough donations . They can take that UnConstitutional crap and stick it .Liberty !

Danke
12-12-2011, 12:40 PM
The average person gets 3 times as much money out of medicare than he/she puts in.

Ah, so govenment does create wealth then.

oyarde
12-12-2011, 12:44 PM
The average person gets 3 times as much money out of medicare than he/she puts in. They do not even have any of the money they have taken out , it goes into the general fund and is spent every week....

oyarde
12-12-2011, 12:47 PM
If you took wages from an employee for retirement and spent them , you would go to jail ...

Zippyjuan
12-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Can you provide any link for this? Thanks!

dannno
12-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Can you provide any link for this? Thanks!

I believe it is cited here.. unfortunately they cut out the middle of RP's answer where he explained how bringing our troops home could help us out with this problem in the mean time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBSBZoXChMk

Pretty sure if it was wrong, they would have called him out.

VBRonPaulFan
12-12-2011, 01:34 PM
There is a phaseout rate for SSB's not being taxable. A joint couple making more than 32k/year has to start paying taxes on SSB's as if it is regular wage income. That means the 1%'s who are doing quite well are paying 28-35% in taxes on each dollar of that SSB income...

Zippyjuan
12-12-2011, 01:46 PM
I believe it is cited here.. unfortunately they cut out the middle of RP's answer where he explained how bringing our troops home could help us out with this problem in the mean time.

Pretty sure if it was wrong, they would have called him out.

Thanks for the link.
Wiki shows lifetime net benefit payments (benefits paid minus taxes paid into the system) and breaks it down by income bracket but doesn't show any percentage:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Fig._169_-_Net_lifetime_Medicare_benefits.JPG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fig._169_-_Net_lifetime_Medicare_benefits.JPG

It also said that about 25% of the benefit expenses occur in the last year or two of life (when medical expenses can be the highest)>