PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul clobbers Gingrich in Drake University straw poll

jmdrake
12-12-2011, 10:42 AM
And no, I have no affiliation with Drake university. But if I did, Ron would certainly get my vote. ;)

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/texas/ron-paul-clobbers-gingrich-romney-in-drake-university-straw-poll/

Ron Paul clobbers Gingrich, Romney in Drake University straw poll
The State Column | Staff | Monday, December 12, 2011

Ron Paul (R-TX), a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, chalked up another straw poll victory over the weekend. Mr. Paul clobbered former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney in an online straw poll for students of Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. Mr. Paul has won numerous online and offline straw polls throughout his campaign.

Mr. Paul garnered 35 percent of the votes. Mr. Romney pulled in 25 percent of the votes and Mr. Gingrich earned 10 percent of the votes. According to a Drake University press release, all of the other GOP candidates finished with single-digit support.

The straw poll victory was announced Sunday. Participants voted in the online poll on December 10th. Participation was limited to Drake University students. However, 1,223 students participated in the Drake University straw poll.

In a campaign press release, the Paul campaign insisted that Drake University’s online straw poll was secure. “Links…could not be duplicated and could not be shared on social media for the purpose of voting more than once or padding the online survey,” the Paul campaign professed.

FOX News’ Bill O’Reilly went after Mr. Paul in November when he removed a poll that the Texas congressman had won from his website. Mr. O’Reilly said that Mr. Paul’s supporters had “slammed” the poll with votes.

The Paul campaign acknowledged members of the “Youth for Ron Paul” (YFP) team for drumming up support and voter activity for Mr. Paul at Drake University. Midwest Regional Director for YFP Ani DeGroot and National Youth Director for the Ron Paul 2012 Presidential Campaign Edward King contributed to Mr. Paul’s victory in the Drake University straw poll.

Saturday’s Iowa GOP debate was held at Drake University. During the GOP debate, Mr. Romney bet Texas Governor Rick Perry $10,000 that he never deleted anything about healthcare from his book. Mr. Paul may benefit from Mr. Romney’s debate gaffe as the Texas congressman is already a top-tier candidate in the latest Iowa polls.

With the Iowa caucuses only weeks away, the Paul campaign has launched a major ad blitz in Iowa. The ad blitz includes TV, radio and mail ads. In addition, the Paul campaign will operate a “Christmas Vacation with Ron Paul” program that will send 500 youth out to knock on doors and make phone calls on behalf of the Texas congressman. Mr. Paul’s supporters have also organized a “Tea Party” money bomb for December 16th.

Ronulus
12-12-2011, 10:57 AM
All other candidates could not have finished with single digit support. Unless they included huntsman but even than it would be.

30%/4 = 7.5% each. Which is only 2.5% behind newt and that is assuming all got the same number of votes. Unless there was a "none of the above" option. I don't know if I trust it too much though since they are not releasing all of the results and just the top 3.

parocks
12-12-2011, 12:02 PM
All other candidates could not have finished with single digit support. Unless they included huntsman but even than it would be.

30%/4 = 7.5% each. Which is only 2.5% behind newt and that is assuming all got the same number of votes. Unless there was a "none of the above" option. I don't know if I trust it too much though since they are not releasing all of the results and just the top 3.

We don't know what the question was.

"Don't know" could be an answer.

Ron Paul
Romney
Gingrich
60%

Bachmann
Santorum
Perry
Huntsman
Johnson
Roemer