PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul loved his neighbor(Gingrich) tonight. Did he make a mistake?

Perry
12-10-2011, 10:01 PM
The ball was in play and Ron Paul was at bat. He let Gingrich off in a huge way by taking the infidelity question off the table and turning it into something else. Ron Paul was true to his christian values but did he make a mistake in letting Gingrich off the hook? Will media even take note of such a loving act?

mport1
12-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Voters would not respond well to him attacking Newt on that.

Moo2400
12-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Voters would not respond well to him attacking Newt on that.

Agreed. He should just stick to attacking Newt on taking money from Freddie Mac and supporting the individual mandate.

Feeding the Abscess
12-10-2011, 10:57 PM
His answer there was one of the best answers he's ever given in a debate

nobody's_hero
12-10-2011, 11:15 PM
I think even many social conservatives tend to be disappointed by the focus on extra-marital affairs. I mean, many of them are supporting Newt as it is, so I don't know what there would be to gain by Ron challenging Newt on that issue. Ron is going to have to keep focusing on issues that affect the state of the nation, and a politician getting a blow job won't destroy a nation. It might destroy a career but not a nation.

However, getting taxpayer dollars to lobby for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac contributed in part to a massive housing bubble that ruined the middle class, so Ron knows what to attack with and what to leave alone.

ronpaulitician
12-10-2011, 11:18 PM
He played it just right.

Working Poor
12-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Ron is a real conservative so he has grace and gentleness.

Jandrsn21
12-10-2011, 11:21 PM
It would have been too harsh, and could possibly backfire. Let the media report on this and let voters make up their own minds on issues like this.

economics102
12-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Are you kidding? He played it brilliantly. He DID get in a subtle jab/contrast by mentioning he's been married to the same woman for 54 years, AND he cleverly spun it into an "oath of office" response.

Perry
12-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Are you kidding? He played it brilliantly. He DID get in a subtle jab/contrast by mentioning he's been married to the same woman for 54 years, AND he cleverly spun it into an "oath of office" response.

I don't think there was anything clever about it. Ron was being true. Ron Paul saved Newt Gingrich's ass by changing the topic when the infidelity question rolled around to him. The momentum was building like a lead snowball rolling downhill until Paul so lovingly changed the topic and let Gingrich answer the question minus the pressure. Gingrich owes Paul a big fat thank you for what could have been a disaster for Newt.

Feeding the Abscess
12-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Concern trolling.

Jodi's mom
12-10-2011, 11:34 PM
He was true to his character the way he handled it. Who is he to tell anyone what they can or cannot do in their private lives? He believes the same on other issues, drugs, sames-sex marriage, etc. "What you do is your business." You will have to answer for it, not him. If it's not hurting you or anyone else, mind your own business!

Rfalcon51
12-10-2011, 11:37 PM
His answer to that question was excellent.

Jodi's mom
12-10-2011, 11:43 PM
I think even many social conservatives tend to be disappointed by the focus on extra-marital affairs. I mean, many of them are supporting Newt as it is, so I don't know what there would be to gain by Ron challenging Newt on that issue. Ron is going to have to keep focusing on issues that affect the state of the nation, and a politician getting a blow job won't destroy a nation. It might destroy a career but not a nation.

However, getting taxpayer dollars to lobby for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac contributed in part to a massive housing bubble that ruined the middle class, so Ron knows what to attack with and what to leave alone.

All of what you said is well and good, but voters should have enough sense to know that we need a president that is true to his marriage vows, because if he isn't faithful in his personal life, how can we depend on him to keep his oath of office, which none of them have, except Ron Paul and maybe Bachmann and Santorum...and, well, maybe Romney. Character does counts. And it would be a nice change to have an honorable man leading the country. What an example that would be for the country and our image around the world!! A President and First Lady we can be proud of! I'll take it!

LibertyEagle
12-10-2011, 11:52 PM
There are plenty of substantive issues to go after Gingrich on.

Support for:
Cap and Trade
Gun Control
Amnesty
No Child Left Behind
Dept. of Education
Global Warming regulations, Nancy Pelosi-style
Bailouts
etc.

LibertyEagle
12-10-2011, 11:54 PM
All of what you said is well and good, but voters should have enough sense to know that we need a president that is true to his marriage vows, because if he isn't faithful in his personal life, how can we depend on him to keep his oath of office, which none of them have, except Ron Paul and maybe Bachmann and Santorum...and, well, maybe Romney. Character does counts. And it would be a nice change to have an honorable man leading the country. What an example that would be for the country and our image around the world!! A President and First Lady we can be proud of! I'll take it!

Yup. I agree with you. Character does count.

Mashedtaders
12-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Was expecting moderators to bring it up since they clearly saved his answer for last. Good thing that Ron didn't go for it as no one else did. The one thing Ron Paul missed out on tonight was furthering hitting Newt on his lobbying with a rebuttal by enforcing his services are just a fancy word for lobbying.

Golding
12-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Ron Paul is principled, not desperate.

ryanmkeisling
12-11-2011, 02:12 AM
He is to principled and has always said that kind of stuff is below the board. It would have made him a hypocrite just like the rest of them, plus I think he truly believes what he says so it probably did not even cross his mind to play the other side..

jct74
12-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Steve Deace
#RonPaul's answer linking marriage fidelity with the oath of office was one of his best ever as a presidential candidate.

http://twitter.com/#!/stevedeaceshow/status/145697611540733952

bunklocoempire
12-11-2011, 02:55 AM
The truth is never a mistake. Loving your neighbor is never a mistake.

Bunkloco

jtstellar
12-11-2011, 05:48 AM
did you guys even watch the full debate..........? someone else standing to gingrich's left already picked up on the marriage issue and did the attacking.. either perry or santorum.. you DID watch the full debate b4 you even open mouth to criticize, right?

Elfshadow
12-11-2011, 05:56 AM

This. I want a principled candidate that can be trusted to do what he says and live up to the ideas that he expresses. If Paul starts acting like every other politician he will lose his die hard base. He handled it perfectly by turning it into an attack on everyone else breach of their oath of office in letting laws through that breach the constitution.

odamn
12-11-2011, 05:59 AM
If Class counts for anything,
Ron Paul is in a Class of his own.

No one but Paul !

AlexAmore
12-11-2011, 06:22 AM
There are plenty of substantive issues to go after Gingrich on.

Support for:
Cap and Trade
Gun Control
Amnesty
No Child Left Behind
Dept. of Education
Global Warming regulations, Nancy Pelosi-style
Bailouts
etc.

Would be funny if he listed off those substantive issues we should be focusing on and ended with "So no, I don't think we should be talking about Newt's infidelity against his cancer stricken wife."

CasualApathy
12-11-2011, 06:56 AM
I'm literally speechless... I must admit I was getting a little depressed, but now I really believe Ron has a shot! GREAT debate!

ghengis86
12-11-2011, 08:00 AM
He was a gentlemen and a scholar is his response. Handled it the best way possible.

Sola_Fide
12-11-2011, 08:02 AM
There are no more statesman like Ron. Anyone else would have seized the opportunity to belittle someone for their shortcomings and moral failings.

Cap
12-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Are you kidding? He played it brilliantly. He DID get in a subtle jab/contrast by mentioning he's been married to the same woman for 54 years, AND he cleverly spun it into an "oath of office" response. Thank you! It was so smooth.Edit for Ron's playing political Jiu-Jitsu and winning.

TER
12-11-2011, 09:16 AM

Bunkloco

QFT

roversaurus
12-11-2011, 09:43 AM
His answer there was one of the best answers he's ever given in a debate

Absolutely! He DIDN'T let Gingrich off the hook with his answer but it LOOKED like he did. He just tied marital infidelity with the oath of office and looked like he was trying hard not to insult Gingrich. It was masterful

Bern
12-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Ron knocked it out of the f'n park when he turned the question to the more important issue of fidelity to the constitution and oath of office. That's an issue that hits Newt equally hard and above the belt. Newt was such a self conscious elephant in the room on the marriage question that by the time Ron got to speak, he didn't need to dig on Newt's past.

Revolution9
12-11-2011, 10:00 AM

Bunkloco

Simply put.

Rev9

Revolution9
12-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Short and sweet.

Rev9

LopTarDaBoo
12-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Ron Paul's subject changing response to the marriage infidelity question was AWESOME. Highlight of the debate IMO.

I wish Ron would have interjected when the female anchor was demanding a jobs number. He could have called it out as a foolish question with clear liberal bias, and pointed out his talent for making broader projections based on the foolish actions of our government. That was a prime opportunity to discredit Romney and the idea of central planning.

ShaneEnochs
12-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Gotta stick to the issues.