PDA

View Full Version : The Average American watches "Big Dog" Ad and thinks that RP wants to cut all Education?

squirekyle
12-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Some well known public figure named "Jon" refereed people to watch the "Big Dog" ad, one of the top comments a few minutes ago was: (14 ups) This is stupid! *#!?#! he wants to cut education? or something like that

We're trying to explain to them over there it's not all education he's cutting, just the Federal department. I was afraid this was going to happen. I sure hope it doesn't hurt his poll numbers in Iowa after running this

If you want to help the "Average American" understand in the comments, here's the video:

http://youtu.be/MXCZVmQ74OA

tsetsefly
12-10-2011, 02:34 PM
I knew it wouldn't come off that well, in 3 second gan't expain why and how he would phase it out...

fade
12-10-2011, 02:35 PM
we are going after republicans. republicans do not want the department of education.

democrats do.

muh_roads
12-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Education didn't exist before the DoE! durrrr...

Polskash
12-10-2011, 02:36 PM
If that's "average", then it's all over anyway.

unknown
12-10-2011, 02:37 PM
YES.

However, this ad is meant to appeal to those who appreciate a smaller centralized government. Many people will not understand until its explained that these government functions are much better handled on an individual state level. That Washington D.C. is a cesspool of corruption and waste, run by lobbyists, corporations and political insiders.

bluesc
12-10-2011, 02:39 PM
The Tea Party wants it gone. They will love it. That's all that is important.

Out of curiosity, who is "Jon"?

Luieburger
12-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Some good friends of mine who are Huntsman supporters are also confused about this (several months before the video came out). They said "he wants to cut education, I don't want to cut that." They have three kids. I had to explain to them how the dept of education actually costs local schools more to operate, and doesn't hardly fund anything at all. They didn't get it. Most people won't get it.

EuRa
12-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I've come across that too.

"Ron Paul is anti education? Wow what an idiot!"

Then I have to explain that he's not an idiot, they are ignorant.

Eric21ND
12-10-2011, 03:23 PM
OMG! How did people get educated before 1979???

squirekyle
12-10-2011, 03:24 PM
The Tea Party wants it gone. They will love it. That's all that is important.

Out of curiosity, who is "Jon"?

not sure, one of the top comments was "I don't agree with all he says, but thanks for sending me Jon"

GunnyFreedom
12-10-2011, 03:27 PM
"Federal Education gives us back pennies on the dollar, wasting money in pointless bureaucracy that gives us "no child left behind." Keep that money here and that's more money per student at the State level, where we can deliver better education, and work our way back up to #1 again like we were before Jimmy Carter created the Department of Education."

affa
12-10-2011, 03:29 PM
not sure, one of the top comments was "I don't agree with all he says, but thanks for sending me Jon"

how in the world do you get "well known public figure named Jon" out of that one comment?

Sola_Fide
12-10-2011, 03:31 PM
If you step back and think about it, how completely misinformed about life do you have to be to think that an American presidential candidate would advocate "ending education" in America?

I mean, am I asking too much of someone to dig a little deeper to understand the difference between the DOE and education?

erowe1
12-10-2011, 03:34 PM

Jeremy
12-10-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm sure the campaign has polled their target audiences and understands what positions are appealing to them.

SchleckBros
12-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Jon Paula

Tal
12-10-2011, 03:41 PM
I gotta say I think the Big Dog ad is a mistake also, most people are not educated on these issues and understanding why cutting the DoE is good you need to understand economics and political theory at a basic level, something that most average people do not! It is one thing to say that you want to cut these departments in a calm manner as Ron usually does in the debates, it is another to blare it out and almost brag about what kind of departments you want to kill, most people will just be repulsed by it and go ''I am not sure I want to vote for a freak like that''.

The ad portrays Ron not as the very intelligent and reasonable man that he is but as some sort of amateurish cockeyed redneck that wants to drive into Washington D.C with all guns blazing.

squirekyle
12-10-2011, 03:45 PM

yep, exactly, people need to understand it was just created approx. 30 years ago

sailingaway
12-10-2011, 03:47 PM

this simplistic conclusion shows how education has deteriorated SINCE then....

LibertyEagle
12-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Some well known public figure named "Jon" refereed people to watch the "Big Dog" ad, one of the top comments a few minutes ago was: (14 ups) This is stupid! *#!?#! he wants to cut education? or something like that

We're trying to explain to them over there it's not all education he's cutting, just the Federal department. I was afraid this was going to happen. I sure hope it doesn't hurt his poll numbers in Iowa after running this

Conservative baby boomers know what it means and they come out in droves to vote.

Carole
12-10-2011, 03:49 PM
We need to counter the "fear factor" by explaining how bad the results are for our children since the DOE was created. We want to put the power back into the local school boards and the states, to stop wasting money on sorry programs and return to the Trivium and Quadrium.

Steve-in-NY
12-10-2011, 03:53 PM
The average American is a complete moron when it comes to how their government works or even what it does. This is by design in my opinion.
Maybe we can address this in an ad.

Do you know what the dept of education does?
Do you know ...?

Find out at how America works for dummies dot com...

slamhead
12-10-2011, 03:54 PM
So let me get this right. The uneducated people are worried about the DOE?

MikeM39
12-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Conservative baby boomers know what it means and they come out in droves to vote.

Yes, but aren't several of the other candidates also promising to get rid of the Department of Education?

trey4sports
12-10-2011, 03:55 PM
it's conservative caucus-goers that we are targeting....

Sola_Fide
12-10-2011, 03:55 PM
this simplistic conclusion shows how education has deteriorated SINCE then....

Yes. The State has taught that life without it is impossible.

bluesc
12-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Yes, but aren't several of the other candidates also promising to get rid of the Department of Education?

Yes, but one has no money to run ads and the other is perceived as weak on immigration, while Ron is considered the "The best on immigration" in Iowa. It's safe to say that Ron is the candidate that people are most likely to vote for if they really want to see the DoE gone.

Sweman
12-10-2011, 05:05 PM
USA went into space without the Department of Education.

Feeding the Abscess
12-10-2011, 05:25 PM
we are going after republicans. republicans do not want the department of education.

democrats do.

DoED expanded under Reagan and doubled under Bush, who had the House and Senate. Santorum wrote NCLB.

Republicans love the Dept. of Ed.

seapilot
12-10-2011, 05:26 PM
The problem is the name of the Department. Something more logical like Department of mind control people would not be as supportive of it.

Revolution9
12-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Apparently the issue can be summed us thus.

Rev9

seapilot
12-10-2011, 05:33 PM

DOE is dept of energy. DoED is dept of Education.

specsaregood
12-10-2011, 05:35 PM
USA went into space without the Department of Education.
and we've lost the ability to go back since its creation....

Liberty74
12-10-2011, 05:37 PM
The average American voter is stupid and enslaved. Both the Democrats and Republicans play off that ignorance. This idea that people within a department in the middle of DC does the teaching in this country is crazy. I could have sworn teachers did the teaching, not bureaucrats. :rolleyes:

tsetsefly
12-10-2011, 05:57 PM
YES.

However, this ad is meant to appeal to those who appreciate a smaller centralized government. Many people will not understand until its explained that these government functions are much better handled on an individual state level. That Washington D.C. is a cesspool of corruption and waste, run by lobbyists, corporations and political insiders.

you severely overestimate the knowledge of the average republican voter. Cutting the department of education appeals to a very small base.

specsaregood
12-10-2011, 06:01 PM
you severely overestimate the knowledge of the average republican voter. Cutting the department of education appeals to a very small base.

Good thing that isn't the focus of the ad. The ad's lasting impression is "don't be a pussy, vote for Ron Paul" and that is right in the bullseye of the average republican voter base.

tsetsefly
12-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Good thing that isn't the focus of the ad. The ad's lasting impression is "don't be a pussy, vote for Ron Paul" and that is right in the bullseye of the average republican voter base.

I hope you are right, im sure the cutting 5 departments scared off some people...

Justinjj1
12-10-2011, 06:16 PM
I rarely see anyone outside of libertarian circles who care one way or another about the Departments of Education, Energy, HUD, and Commerce.

The average idiot voter probably holds those departments in high regard just because they think those things are important.

Paulitics 2011
12-10-2011, 06:18 PM
The ad portrays Ron not as the very intelligent and reasonable man that he is but as some sort of amateurish cockeyed redneck that wants to drive into Washington D.C with all guns blazing.

Welcome to the GOP?

Feeding the Abscess
12-10-2011, 06:21 PM
I rarely see anyone outside of libertarian circles who care one way or another about the Departments of Education, Energy, HUD, and Commerce.

The average idiot voter probably holds those departments in high regard just because they think those things are important.

From experience with my affluent uncle and his circle, wealthy Republicans view them as "transfer programs for the Democratic Party". It's fun getting them to change the subject when I inform them that Reagan and Bush exploded the size of many of those "Democratic Party transfer" departments.