PDA

View Full Version : " In fact he was thrown out of school - twice.*

Adam West
12-10-2011, 12:00 PM
THIS ARTICLE GIVES SOME INSIGHT TO RON'S UPBRINGING. ENJOY...

In third White House bid, Paul's message the same

By ALLEN G. BREED, AP National Writer – 1 hour ago

GREENVILLE, N.C. (AP) — Long before he discovered Friedrich Hayek and other free-market economists, Ron Paul got a lesson in sound money from his oldest brother, Bill.

It was the height of World War II, and the Paul boys were laying aside quarters from their Pittsburgh Press routes and pooling pennies earned from pulling dirty milk bottles off the line at the family dairy to buy war bonds. One day, Ronnie suggested what was, in retrospect, a rather Keynesian solution: "Why doesn't the government just PRINT this money?"

"Well," Bill responded, "then the money wouldn't have any value."

Bill was 10. Ron was about 7.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/articles/2011/12/10/in_third_white_house_bid_pauls_message_the_same/

Cowlesy
12-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Shared this one. There is some good Americana in this article that will tug heart-strings.

Feeding the Abscess
12-10-2011, 12:21 PM
The 2008 race also brought Paul's closest brush with scandal. A controversy arose over statements in his monthly newsletters — "if you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be"; Martin Luther King Jr. was a "pro-Communist philanderer"; "Homosexuals, not to speak of the rest of society, were far better off when social pressure forced them to hide their activities."

Paul denied writing the offending passages — they were, he said, the work of ghostwriters, though he acknowledged that he bore "some moral responsibility" for them. And he said he was not a detractor of King's — the civil rights leader was a champion of individual rights and one of his heroes.

Pretty backhanded positive article.

CaseyJones
12-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Related articles

edited

Cowlesy
12-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Pretty backhanded positive article.

In 2008, that was indeed the controversy.

I thought the article was fair. I doubt you expect them to ignore stuff like that. The writer also comments that Ron thinks King was a champion of individual rights and one his heroes, so he doesn't leave readers with only one-side of that matter.

Adam West
12-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Shared this one. There is some good Americana in this article that will tug heart-strings.

Yeah. With all the "rough and tumble," it's nice to have some insight into Dr. Pauls background.

sailingaway
12-10-2011, 12:41 PM
That Jerry brother is the liberal who has a bug up his nose or something about people liking Ron's views and not his. Why does the media always trot him out of all the other brothers who are supportive?

I'd like to know a little more about Ron being the one to turn himself in for firecrackers, but it seems like Jerry always finds something bad to say, with so little material to work with. I'm wondering if that 'bribed a classmate to throw a baseball' wasn't more along the lines of "I dare you" than a bribe. Whatever. Fine. That and the newsletters someone else wrote. We clearly have our character reparation work ahead of us in this campaign....:rolleyes:

affa
12-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Great article. Wish they explained why he voted against the congressional medals, but overall? Fair.

RonPaulCult
12-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Absolutely amazing article.

Diurdi
12-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Well written atleast.

Aratus
12-10-2011, 12:58 PM
ron paul was a normal kid.
look at him now. debating!

Polskash
12-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Great article. Wish they explained why he voted against the congressional medals, but overall? Fair.

They're unconstitutional. Ron offered up his own money and asked other members of Congress to do the same but they refused. It's easier to be generous with other people's money.

Cowlesy
12-10-2011, 01:02 PM
That Jerry brother is the liberal who has a bug up his nose or something about people liking Ron's views and not his. Why does the media always trot him out of all the other brothers who are supportive?

I'd like to know a little more about Ron being the one to turn himself in for firecrackers, but it seems like Jerry always finds something bad to say, with so little material to work with. I'm wondering if that 'bribed a classmate to throw a baseball' wasn't more along the lines of "I dare you" than a bribe. Whatever. Fine. That and the newsletters someone else wrote. We clearly have our character reparation work ahead of us in this campaign....:rolleyes:

I'd prefer they interview him than Wayne, who'd probably throw some truth-bombs at the reporter that would leave the benign reader dazed and confused.

KingNothing
12-10-2011, 01:07 PM
I thought the article was pretty good. Reported the facts in a respectful manner. I can't see it really turning anyone off, but it did humanize Paul.

LawnWake
12-10-2011, 01:18 PM
One day, Ronnie suggested what was, in retrospect, a rather Keynesian solution: "Why doesn't the government just PRINT this money?"

So much for 'consistency'. What a flip-flopper, he's not getting my vote.

Okie RP fan
12-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Wow, great sharing material for those who think Dr. Paul is some libertarian, heartless robot.

sailingaway
12-10-2011, 01:25 PM
I'd prefer they interview him than Wayne, who'd probably throw some truth-bombs at the reporter that would leave the benign reader dazed and confused.

Ah.

12-10-2011, 01:32 PM
What? I demand the campaign get out in front of this firecracker scandal! They should have seen this attack coming from the liberal media. :D