PDA

View Full Version : Waterboarding is something that every Amercian should be proud of

Jaykzo
11-07-2007, 02:45 PM
"While the White House must beware not to inform our enemies what to expect if captured, today’s clueless anti-waterboarding rhetoric merits this tactic’s vigorous defense. Waterboarding is something of which every American should be proud."

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZjNkYmU2NWVlOWE4MTU5MjhiOGNmMWUwMjdjZjU2ZjA

:eek:

noxagol
11-07-2007, 02:47 PM
What The Fuck!?!?!

Wendi
11-07-2007, 03:16 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_2_10.gif

jumpyg1258
11-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I am wondering when the people in charge of our government are going to be brought forth to face their prosecution for war crimes regarding water boarding. One of the things they tried the nazis for was water boarding torture.

fcofer
11-07-2007, 03:23 PM
I am wondering when the people in charge of our government are going to be brought forth to face their prosecution for war crimes regarding water boarding. One of the things they tried the nazis for was water boarding torture.

Agreed. This sort of news is one of the few things that really makes me ashamed to be an American.

fluoridatedbrainsoup
11-07-2007, 03:25 PM
I'd be proud if our commander in chief would allow himself to be waterboarded, to show us that simulated drowning is not torture, because America doesn't torture, etc.

jumpyg1258
11-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Heck one could go all the way back to the Spanish Inquisition to look at oppressive societies that used water boarding as a fear tactic.

Wendi
11-07-2007, 03:27 PM
@ flouridatedbrainsoup:
LMAO
:D
You need a "put the soda down before you ruin your keyboard" warning on that one.
Mental image = hilarious!

fcofer
11-07-2007, 03:28 PM
I'd be proud if our commander in chief would allow himself to be waterboarded, to show us that simulated drowning is not torture, because America doesn't torture, etc.

:D That is a great idea.

Didn't a Fox News reporter agree to be waterboarded sometime last year, and subsequently ended up flailing and screaming to be released?

jumpyg1258
11-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Well its actually simulated drowning since your lungs are filling up with water whenever they do it. Typically they will have a doctor on hand to let them know when to stop and ensure the prisoner doesn't die from drowning.

beerista
11-07-2007, 04:22 PM
This article is a lame attempt at deception. The author states that waterboarding is not torture and then proceeds to defend the practice with a litany of whom it has been used on, why they deserved it, and how effective it is. None of his points says the least about whether or not the practice is torture. Even if we concede all his points-- that it is a very effective means of extracting information from very evil men-- this does not settle the issue of whether it's torture or not because his argument says nothing about whether the same things might be true of flaying or bamboo shoots under fingernails or electric prods to genitals. If these other methods are only used against evil men and if they are effective means of gathering information, are they then not torture for those same reasons? This article is a defense of torture practices generally, not a denial that one practice is such. He needs to come out and say that he thinks torture is justified when the government says so, which is the subtext of his article anyway. This is obfuscation at its worst and I'm afraid a lot of people fall for it.
In short, this article is a crock.

DanConway
11-07-2007, 04:57 PM
My letter below.

-------------------------

To Whom It May Concern:

I was disgusted to read Deroy Murdock's article, "Waterboarding has its Benefits."

Waterboarding is torture, as everyone who has experienced it, from John McCain to
Daniel Levin, has said. No American should ever accept the practice of the least
fragment of torture in his name. Torture is against every principle of this nation.

Furthermore, although torture may get prisoners to talk, it does not get the truth,
as centuries of history show. It does not achieve the ends which are presented as
shabby justification for its use -- unless those ends be, in fact, to keep the
people in fear and to deliver to them an occasional rush, some two minutes of
adrenaline-charged hate at seeing another alleged terrorist paraded for them.

Unless he would plead ignorance -- and I can easily direct him to the facts -- Deroy
Murdock is an evil man, advocating evil. I would consider it the most patriotic of
acts to tell him so, should I ever be unfortunate enough to meet him.

[my name...you'll all know it if it gets published, which it probably won't]

beerista
11-07-2007, 05:27 PM
My letter below.

-------------------------

To Whom It May Concern:

I was disgusted to read Deroy Murdock's article, "Waterboarding has its Benefits."

Waterboarding is torture, as everyone who has experienced it, from John McCain to
Daniel Levin, has said. No American should ever accept the practice of the least
fragment of torture in his name. Torture is against every principle of this nation.

Furthermore, although torture may get prisoners to talk, it does not get the truth,
as centuries of history show. It does not achieve the ends which are presented as
shabby justification for its use -- unless those ends be, in fact, to keep the
people in fear and to deliver to them an occasional rush, some two minutes of
adrenaline-charged hate at seeing another alleged terrorist paraded for them.

Unless he would plead ignorance -- and I can easily direct him to the facts -- Deroy
Murdock is an evil man, advocating evil. I would consider it the most patriotic of
acts to tell him so, should I ever be unfortunate enough to meet him.

[my name...you'll all know it if it gets published, which it probably won't]

The money quote: I would consider it the most patriotic of acts to tell him so, should I ever be unfortunate enough to meet him.

Oh, how I laughed... okay, maybe cackled. I so hope they print this. Do they print letters from readers?

Corydoras
11-07-2007, 07:32 PM
And for those who may have missed it, here is a different take on it from someone who knows about interrogating people:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=30707

Triton
11-07-2007, 07:54 PM
"While the White House must beware not to inform our enemies what to expect if captured, today’s clueless anti-waterboarding rhetoric merits this tactic’s vigorous defense. Waterboarding is something of which every American should be proud."

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZjNkYmU2NWVlOWE4MTU5MjhiOGNmMWUwMjdjZjU2ZjA

:eek:How our government treats the citizens of other nations is how they will eventually treat us.

Cindy
11-07-2007, 08:01 PM

Me too!

It's barbaric and has no place in a civilised society.