PDA

View Full Version : Newt Gingrich Gingrich: Palestinians are an 'invented people'

bluesc
12-09-2011, 05:25 PM
And RON is the one with a foreign policy problem? This idiot is going to start WW3.

I wonder what job Mary Kramer wants..

Gingrich: Palestinians are an 'invented people'

(CNN) - GOP presidential frontrunner Newt Gingrich suggested in an interview aired on Friday that those living in the Palestinian territories are an "invented people."

"I believe that the Jewish people have the right to have a state," Gingrich said on The Jewish Channel. "Remember, there was no Palestine as a state. It was part of the Ottoman Empire. And I think that we've had an invented Palestinian people, who are in fact Arabs, who are historically part of the Arab community."

He added: "And they had a chance to go many places and for a variety of political reasons, we have sustained this war against Israel now since the 1940s. I think it's tragic."

His comments, seemingly off the path from United States foreign policy supporting a two-state solution in the Middle East, come days after Gingrich attended the Republican Jewish Coalition in Washington, D.C. and as the current crop of GOP candidates compete for the GOP Jewish vote.

Describing the Middle East peace process as "delusional," Gingrich placed heavy blame on the Palestinian Authority and the role of Hamas, the ruling political party in the Gaza Strip, for the ongoing unrest.

"Both of which represent an enormous desire to destroy Israel," Gingrich said. "I think there's a lot to think about in terms of how fundamentally you want to change the terms of debate in the region."

Gingrich quickly faced criticism over his comments. On a conference call with reporters, surrogates for former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Gingrich's closest competitor, questioned the former House speaker's approach.

"I'm not sure that kind of statement gets us any closer to accomplishing an agenda," said Mary Kramer, former U.S. Ambassador to Barbados and Romney surrogate. "And so that's one of the things that I think makes me a little bit nervous about Speaker Gingrich is that he sometimes makes comments that open to very broad interpretations."

kah13176
12-09-2011, 05:27 PM
"I believe that the Jewish people have the right to have a state," Gingrich said on The Jewish Channel. "Remember, there was no Palestine as a state. It was part of the Ottoman Empire. And I think that we've had an invented Palestinian people, who are in fact Arabs, who are historically part of the Arab community."

And there was never Israel either. It fluttered between the Romans, Arabs, probably Egyptians, and a myriad of other peoples for centuries.

BattleFlag1776
12-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Good ole Newt. He seems to forget that after the Ottoman Empire, that part of the world was officially known as the British Mandate for Palestine.

angelatc
12-09-2011, 05:30 PM
DOesn't matter if it's true. That part about Newt that is so effective has nothing to do with truth, honesty or anything else we the proud few look for in a candidate. He's pandering to the cult of Israel conservatives, and they eat this stuff up.

CJLauderdale4
12-09-2011, 05:41 PM
The Palestinians in Gaza are the ancient Philistines from biblical times. Too bad Joshua didn't finish them off.

giovannile07
12-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I thought he was suppose to be knowledgeable about history?

kah13176
12-09-2011, 05:53 PM
The Palestinians in Gaza are the ancient Philistines from biblical times. Too bad Joshua didn't finish them off.

What do you mean "too bad"? I thought one of the 10 commandments spoke against killing. In the words of Ron Paul, "you can achieve much more in peace than you can in...wars".

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2011, 05:55 PM
What do you mean "too bad"? I thought one of the 10 commandments spoke against killing. In the words of Ron Paul, you can achieve much more in peace than you can in...wars".
This^^ Plus, I don't think it would jive with Christian Just War Theory to massacre people.

Revolution9
12-09-2011, 06:28 PM
I saw an entire set of pre 1940 Palestinian stamps two weeks back that Newt needs to explain to me.

Rev9

Marky
12-09-2011, 06:46 PM

What a disgusting and historically inaccurate statement! Those Palestinians who lost their land and homes to the Zionists were Muslims and Christians…people who believe in One God, the God of Abraham and Moses. The Philistines of Joshua’s time were idol worshippers.

milo10
12-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Here is a map from 1878 with Palestine written on it. It is even for sale...this isn't some modified web image.

http://www.baumanrarebooks.com/rare-books/eilers-a-h-/map-of-palestine-old-testament-history/69781.aspx

Btw, I think Newt is playing a semantics game that there was no organized nation state amongst the Palestinians, hence the people living there had no say over the land. It's a rabidly statist worldview. People don't exist, only the state.

Dr.3D
12-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Well, that's close, but I believe the order was to drive them out of the land. Also note what God told them would happen if they didn't.

Numbers 33:55-56 'But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you, then it shall be that those whom you let remain shall be irritants in your eyes and thorns in your sides, and they shall harass you in the land where you dwell. 56 'Moreover it shall be that I will do to you as I thought to do to them.' " (NKJ)

TheTexan
12-09-2011, 07:14 PM
The Jews have been in Israel for centuries. It's their land.

Oh wait. That's right. They stole it.

South Park Fan
12-09-2011, 07:19 PM
While Gingrich is technically correct, I don't see him advocating against an Israeli state, Jordanian state, Lebanese state, or Iraqi state, even though they are just as much invented as the Palestinians.

Simple
12-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I guess his history got a bit rusty while he was lobbying for Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac. I seem to remember a state of Palestine in Rome. And some people called the Philistines before that.

Student Of Paulism
12-09-2011, 09:17 PM
I guess his history got a bit rusty while he was lobbying for Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac. I seem to remember a state of Palestine in Rome. And some people called the Philistines before that.

He is just kissing more israeli ass is all, to pull more of the jewish-american vote. That's all this piece of crap has ever done, takes any side that benefits him at the time.

moderate libertarian
12-09-2011, 09:20 PM
The invented idiot Newt is living up to his reputation.

Palestinians are an invented people, says Newt Gingrich

Republican frontrunner says Israelis have a right to their modern-day homeland but implies Palestinians do not

Associated Press
guardian.co.uk, Friday 9 December 2011 21.30 EST

The US Republican presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich has declared that the Palestinians are an "invented" people who want to destroy Israel.

The Jewish Channel, a cable TV station, posted online its interview with the former US House speaker, who has risen to the top of Republican nomination candidates to challenge Democratic President Barack Obama in the November 2012 election.

Gingrich differed from official US policy that respects the Palestinians as a people deserving of their own state based on negotiations with Israel. "Remember, there was no Palestine as a state. It was part of the Ottoman Empire" until the early 20th century, Gingrich said.

Gingrich and other Republican candidates are seeking to attract Jewish support by vowing to bolster US ties with Israel if elected.

Gingrich said he would be willing to consider granting clemency to Jonathan Jay Pollard, who has been serving life since 1987 for passing US secrets to Israel. Successive US presidents have refused Israel's requests to free him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/10/palestinians-invented-people-newt-gingrich

Wasn't this kind of superamacist view classified as "racism" by US resolutions till 90s when arm twisting by an AIPAC funded White House puppet led to cancellation of that longstanding UN resolution?

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2011, 09:26 PM
There's already a thread on this. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?336325-Gingrich-Palestinians-are-an-invented-people&highlight=Palestinians

moderate libertarian
12-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Excellent.

This nut needs to be exposed everywhere for his supremacist fascism. He seems like another facist douchebag who had said this not too long after 9/11:

Senior Republican calls on Israel to expel West Bank Arabs

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/may/04/israel3

ExPatPaki
12-09-2011, 09:40 PM

This must be an example of the "Christian love" I keep hearing about.

The Palestinians were the Jews of that land who converted to Christianity and Islam later on. Israel's first Prime Minister, Menachem Begin has said so.

Brian4Liberty
12-09-2011, 09:42 PM

Newt is articulate. A good speaker. A great pretender. He tells everybody what they want to hear, then he takes the same actions as Nancy Pelosi and Barrack Obama.

moderate libertarian
12-09-2011, 09:43 PM

He seems to speak from supremacist fascist beliefs rather than historic facts. Another facist douchenag like him had said this not too long after 9/11:

Senior Republican calls on Israel to expel West Bank Arabs

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/may/04/israel3

moderate libertarian
12-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Well, that's close, but I believe the order was to drive them out of the land. Also note what God told them would happen if they didn't.

http://deathby1000papercuts.com/headlines/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/we-stand-with-israel.jpg

God has been very clever lately in his plan's implementation as the photo on Drudge today shows.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/12/08/obama.dec9.jpg

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/09/obama-hosts-an-early-hannukah-reception/

Revolution9
12-09-2011, 10:14 PM
http://cdn7.fotosearch.com/bthumb/CSP/CSP594/k5944377.jpg

An invented people you could send a letter to in 1919.

'Nuff Said
Rev9

Revolution9
12-09-2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.christies.com/lotfinderimages/d20369/d2036975r.jpg

The People of Palestine were an invented people who spent real currency in 1929.

Rev9

SpiritOf1776_J4
12-10-2011, 01:23 AM
What a disgusting and historically inaccurate statement! Those Palestinians who lost their land and homes to the Zionists were Muslims and Christians…people who believe in One God, the God of Abraham and Moses. The Philistines of Joshua’s time were idol worshippers.

And sad to say, I saw someplace that a lot of palestinians may actually be jews who were forced to convert to Islam in 1000ad or so and did.

Ball
12-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Newt's arguments could just as well be used against Israel.

TomL
12-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Here is a map from 1878 with Palestine written on it. It is even for sale...this isn't some modified web image.

http://www.baumanrarebooks.com/rare-books/eilers-a-h-/map-of-palestine-old-testament-history/69781.aspx

Btw, I think Newt is playing a semantics game that there was no organized nation state amongst the Palestinians, hence the people living there had no say over the land. It's a rabidly statist worldview. People don't exist, only the state.

I have a Bible with a New Testament that was copyrighted in 1946. At the end of the book is a series of maps. One is "Palestine In New Testament Times."

TomL
12-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Newt got it wrong. If there is an invented people in this world, it's Israel. Israel is an invented nation of the United Nations. They are not the nation that was established by God through Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Moses. The nation of Israel that God established was destroyed in 70AD, and was never re-established by God.

Since 1948, countries like the United States has been masquerading Israel as God's chosen people. But when the temple was destroyed in 70AD Israel's connection to God was lost and a New Israel was formed, a spiritual Israel. This spiritual Israel was formed when Christ died on the cross and was raised from death by the power of God. The death of Christ on the cross and his subsequent resurrection brought to a conclusion or completion of the Old Testament ages, and ushered in the New Testament age. An eternal age that would never end, which we are in today. With the conclusion of the Old Testament ages and the establishment of the New Testament age there is no longer a physical nation-state of Israel.

Too correct the mistake made by the United Nations in 1948, Israel should be moved out of Palestine and allow the Palestinians to move back into their homes and businesses.

Someone is bound to ask, What do we do with the people who currently occupy the land of Palestine erroneously being called Israel? Of course, that is not how people will ask it, but you get the idea. My answer is, since American Christian leaders, like John Hagee and his ilk, are so fond of these people, they can be given U.S. citizenship, and they can be settled throughout the Country in places like San Antonio, Texas, where they can use Cornerstone Church for their Sabbath services on Saturday, while Cornerstone Church maintains their so called Christian services on Sunday.

Either way, Newt's statement that Palestine is invented people is wrong. And this guy wants to be President. The potential that Newt could be our next President scares me more than Mahmoud Achmadinejad having nuclear weapons.

Obviously, Newt Gingrich as President would probably spare no expense in support of Israel, even if it means starting World War Three. That should scare any sane and rational thinking American. But then, with the exception of Ron Paul, and maybe Jon Huntsman, all the Republican Candidates are big supporters of Israel, and would probably use the military in support of Israel. To be fair to Ron Paul and Jon Huntsman, I don't believe they are as radical as I in regards to Israel. But, at least I am confident that they would not use the military for flimsy pro-Israel reasons.

Whoever those people are that are occupying Palestine, they are not U.S. citizens, and as such are not entitled to the protections of our Constitution. They have no right to expect that if they attack Iran that the United States will come to their aid if they find themselves outmatched. And if the Republicans nominate anyone besides Ron Paul or Jon Huntsman, we will have no choice but to re-elect Obama and hope for the best till 2016.

Paulitics 2011
12-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Well guys, look at my new thread.

Later in the debate, he calls himself a Reaganite.

Reagan, however, disagrees. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?336829-Ronald-Reagan-quot-Legitimate-rights-of-the-Palestinians-quot-amp-quot-Peace-quot)

oyarde
12-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Techically , he could be right , somewhere between the 10th to the 7th centuries the Philistines were absorbed into other cultures . I have no idea what he really means .

erowe1
12-12-2011, 11:15 AM
All people groups are inventions: Palestinians, Israelis, white people, all of them.

pcosmar
12-12-2011, 11:34 AM
The real puzzle is,, Why the Khazars think they have a right to Palestine.

light200763
12-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Newt is wrong in my view.

TheDrakeMan
12-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Philistines don't have anything to do with Palestinians. Philistines were an Indo-European pagan group that had more in common with Greeks. Palestinians are a Semitic muslim people. I'm sure Palestinians have some philistian ancestry (so do Jews and many Arabs for that matter) but it isn't a continuation of their culture or ethnic group.

Zippyjuan
12-12-2011, 01:53 PM
The name may have been invented, but the people weren't.

unknown
12-12-2011, 03:52 PM
We should just stay out of it. Disturbs me to think that American politicians have to go into a room full of alleged Americans and talk about how they would support a foreign country.

james1906
12-12-2011, 09:41 PM
So are the Basques, Navajos, and Kurds invented for not having their own state? Are Americans, Canadians, Argentinians, Taiwanese, and Austrians invented for not having their own language?

Pauls' Revere
12-13-2011, 12:23 AM
since 1776 are Americans an invented people?

SpiritOf1776_J4
12-13-2011, 12:33 AM
since 1776 are Americans an invented people?

It boils down to that. I had a rabbi posting from Israel tell me that it was all Christians that were responsible for Jews being persecuted for 2,000 years. This despite the fact that Christians were persecuted at their beginning by a pagan Roman empire - and the Talmud reveres Nero the first persecutor as a converted Jew! (whether true or false).

Notice that that isn't Muslims. The same arguments being used against Muslims or Arabs are easily applied to Americans or Christians. Supporting injustice against anyone is wrong.

* search on talmud, nero
https://www.google.com/search?q=talmud+nero&rlz=1I7ACAW_enUS390US390&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7

Pauls' Revere
12-13-2011, 01:04 AM

+ rep

jmdrake
12-13-2011, 10:50 AM

:rolleyes: Pretty ignorant of you to confuse the land with the people living on it. Those living in Gaza now are semites and descendants of Abraham. And if you recall from Jesus time, the kingdom of Israel had already been split into Jews and Samaritans with the Jews hating their fellow Israeli Samaritans as badly as modern Jews hate Arabs and vice versa. The term "Palestine" came about after the Bar Kakhba revolt where a false messiah rebelled against Rome after the Roman emperor attempted to ban circumcision and turn the temple mount into a worship center for paganism.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Kokhba_revolt

Again, discord between Jews and Samaritans (the real Israelis) factored into this.

HOLLYWOOD
12-14-2011, 11:22 AM
That's it, suckup to your overlords, oh I forgot, those are just Democratic Party colors. But they do appear to be ready for "Dual Citizenship"
God has been very clever lately in his plan's implementation as the photo on Drudge today shows.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/12/08/obama.dec9.jpg

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/09/obama-hosts-an-early-hannukah-reception/

erowe1
12-14-2011, 11:28 AM

The individual persons weren't. But the group as a group was. Of course the same goes for every other people group.

bolil
12-15-2011, 12:36 AM
The individual persons weren't. But the group as a group was. Of course the same goes for every other people group.

Meh, Is a group so much invented as it is realized? The fact that groups are composed of individuals negates the idea that a group can be "invented" or "created" so much as it is "realized" "discovered" or "uncovered." I am part of the "American group" because I am an American individual. The group being composed of other American individuals is not invented by them, but is realized by them en masse. Unless you mean nominally, and in that case everything would be invented. Thus the laws of physics become an invention, they are not. They are an uncovered, discovered, or realized "group" of readily demonstrable facts. Is it that different with people? First removing the word fact and substituting similarities. Not to say a group is not subdivided and stratified any number of times and in any number of levels.