PDA

View Full Version : Our fate, to determine how we will be detained indefinitely, will be decided in secret.

Anti Federalist
12-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Color me unsurprised.

Outside of our small circle of refuseniks, does anybody even give a shit?

When will they?

Indefinite military detention for U.S. citizens now in the hands of a secretive conference committee

December 8, 2011 - by Donny Shaw

http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/2447-Indefinite-military-detention-for-U-S-citizens-now-in-the-hands-of-a-secretive-conference-committee-

If Congress does not pass a Department of Defense Authorization bill that Obama will sign by the end of the year, almost all of the U.S. military’s activities around the world would be jeopardized. At this point, the House and Senate have both passed their versions of the bill (H.R.1540 and S.1867), but they have disagreement on several provisions, including a provision opposed by the Obama Administration that would require the military to indefinitely detain terrorism suspects, including American citizens living in the U.S., without charge or trial.

With the House having voted 406-17 to “close” portions of the meetings and avoid public scrutiny, members from both chambers and both parties are meeting in a secretive conference committee to work on reconciling the differences between the House and Senate versions of the bill. On the military detention provision, their main task is going to be to find a solution that can pass both chambers (again) and not draw a veto from President Obama.

Contrary to popular perception, the Obama Administration is not strongly opposed to the provisions in the bills that would authorize indefinite military detentions for U.S. citizens. Here’s what the Administration had to say in a Statement of Administrative Policy on the Senate bill:

Section 1031 attempts to expressly codify the detention authority that exists under the Authorization for Use of Military Force (Public Law 107-40) (the “AUMF”). The authorities granted by the AUMF, including the detention authority, are essential to our ability to protect the American people from the threat posed by al-Qa’ida and its associated forces, and have enabled us to confront the full range of threats this country faces from those organizations and individuals. Because the authorities codified in this section already exist, the Administration does not believe codification is necessary and poses some risk. After a decade of settled jurisprudence on detention authority, Congress must be careful not to open a whole new series of legal questions that will distract from our efforts to protect the country. While the current language minimizes many of those risks, future legislative action must ensure that the codification in statute of express military detention authority does not carry unintended consequences that could compromise our ability to protect the American people.

In other words, they’ll take it and recommend that Congress passes clarifying legislation in the future, which, of course, will never happen. What they oppose is the provision that would mandate that power be used for all terrorism suspects besides U.S. citizens. From the same statement:

The Administration strongly objects to the military custody provision of section 1032, which would appear to mandate military custody for a certain class of terrorism suspects.

As you can read for yourself here, Section 1031, affirming the “authority of the armed forces of the United States to detain covered persons…” does not contain an exemption for U.S. citizens. Section 1032, mandating the military detention authority be used for terrorism suspects, does, but that is the section that the Obama Administration says must be removed or else he will veto. The Administration has been stressing the need for flexibility in their powers to collect information and incapacitate terrorists, which likely means that they want to retain the power to detain suspects outside the context of war and the Geneva Convention protections that would apply. The secretive conference committee may still be able to overcome Obama’s veto threat while also codifying the power to indefinitely detain U.S. citizens without having to charge them or give them a trial.

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Let me know your prisoner number if you get a chance. Maybe we'll get a chance to break rocks and wax eloquent about the good ol' days on the chain gang. ;) I'm hoping to get I-330, the same number as the anti-State rebellion leader in "We".

MelissaCato
12-09-2011, 12:27 PM
"class of terrorism suspects" ? Hummm, can I be in the Founding Father, Levi jeans, country music, Cowgirl boot, Liberty and Freedom class please ... LOL I wanna be worth a bullet ya know. :cool:

bunklocoempire
12-09-2011, 12:36 PM
:mad:

Congress must be careful not to open a whole new series of legal questions that will distract from our efforts to protect the country.

So why the hell even bother in a Constitutional Republic? :mad:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bunkloco

Anti Federalist
12-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Let me know your prisoner number if you get a chance. Maybe we'll get a chance to break rocks and wax eloquent about the good ol' days on the chain gang. ;) I'm hoping to get I-330, the same number as the anti-State rebellion leader in "We".

Da, Comrade.

I'll take THX 1138

Philhelm
12-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Da, Comrade.

I'll take THX 1138

I'd want TK-421, 666, or 1984.

Actually, screw that; my number will be 1776.

Actually, screw even that; I'll be dead.

Pericles
12-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Correction: The process by which the DoD will attempt to detain us has been defined.

Danke
12-09-2011, 01:40 PM

Da, Comrade.

I'll take THX 1138

I'll see to it you two get fair treatment.

bill1971
12-09-2011, 01:47 PM
It is such a scary idea, we need Ron Paul in there fast.

ninepointfive
12-09-2011, 01:55 PM

There is something called the law of attraction. I refuse to believe you or I will be in this situation.

Life or Death!

Anti Federalist
12-09-2011, 02:08 PM
I'll see to it you two get fair treatment.

Gee, what a pal.

Danke
12-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Gee, what a pal.

We may have an opening at the commissary, you'd like the folks there.

oyarde
12-09-2011, 02:44 PM
I'd want TK-421, 666, or 1984.

Actually, screw that; my number will be 1776.

Actually, screw even that; I'll be dead. Yeah Phil , we will be dead , but screw it .

pcosmar
12-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Correction: The process by which the DoD will attempt to detain us has been defined.
+Rep
A very good tactical distinction. And awareness.

:(

John F Kennedy III
12-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Color me unsurprised.

Outside of our small circle of refuseniks, does anybody even give a shit?

When will they?

Indefinite military detention for U.S. citizens now in the hands of a secretive conference committee

December 8, 2011 - by Donny Shaw

http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/2447-Indefinite-military-detention-for-U-S-citizens-now-in-the-hands-of-a-secretive-conference-committee-

If Congress does not pass a Department of Defense Authorization bill that Obama will sign by the end of the year, almost all of the U.S. military’s activities around the world would be jeopardized. At this point, the House and Senate have both passed their versions of the bill (H.R.1540 and S.1867), but they have disagreement on several provisions, including a provision opposed by the Obama Administration that would require the military to indefinitely detain terrorism suspects, including American citizens living in the U.S., without charge or trial.

With the House having voted 406-17 to “close” portions of the meetings and avoid public scrutiny, members from both chambers and both parties are meeting in a secretive conference committee to work on reconciling the differences between the House and Senate versions of the bill. On the military detention provision, their main task is going to be to find a solution that can pass both chambers (again) and not draw a veto from President Obama.

Contrary to popular perception, the Obama Administration is not strongly opposed to the provisions in the bills that would authorize indefinite military detentions for U.S. citizens. Here’s what the Administration had to say in a Statement of Administrative Policy on the Senate bill:

Section 1031 attempts to expressly codify the detention authority that exists under the Authorization for Use of Military Force (Public Law 107-40) (the “AUMF”). The authorities granted by the AUMF, including the detention authority, are essential to our ability to protect the American people from the threat posed by al-Qa’ida and its associated forces, and have enabled us to confront the full range of threats this country faces from those organizations and individuals. Because the authorities codified in this section already exist, the Administration does not believe codification is necessary and poses some risk. After a decade of settled jurisprudence on detention authority, Congress must be careful not to open a whole new series of legal questions that will distract from our efforts to protect the country. While the current language minimizes many of those risks, future legislative action must ensure that the codification in statute of express military detention authority does not carry unintended consequences that could compromise our ability to protect the American people.

In other words, they’ll take it and recommend that Congress passes clarifying legislation in the future, which, of course, will never happen. What they oppose is the provision that would mandate that power be used for all terrorism suspects besides U.S. citizens. From the same statement:

The Administration strongly objects to the military custody provision of section 1032, which would appear to mandate military custody for a certain class of terrorism suspects.

As you can read for yourself here, Section 1031, affirming the “authority of the armed forces of the United States to detain covered persons…” does not contain an exemption for U.S. citizens. Section 1032, mandating the military detention authority be used for terrorism suspects, does, but that is the section that the Obama Administration says must be removed or else he will veto. The Administration has been stressing the need for flexibility in their powers to collect information and incapacitate terrorists, which likely means that they want to retain the power to detain suspects outside the context of war and the Geneva Convention protections that would apply. The secretive conference committee may still be able to overcome Obama’s veto threat while also codifying the power to indefinitely detain U.S. citizens without having to charge them or give them a trial.

I'm convinced half of them won't give a shit even when we're all in FEMA camps. They'll still believe whatever the government is saying and of course they will walk into the showers naively joking about the funny smell...

seraphson
12-09-2011, 03:18 PM
What's the big seeecret ol' buddy ol' pals?!
I suppose we should use their logic; why would ya wanna hide something if ya ain't got nothin to hide?

Alas...how did that old saying go...Give me liberty or give me death!

Anti Federalist
12-09-2011, 03:27 PM
We may have an opening at the commissary, you'd like the folks there.

I googled "gay nazis" trying to come up with an appropriate flame pic back at ya.

DO NOT DO THIS, trust me...

So I'll have to settle for one of your girlfriend.

http://www.fireandreamitchell.com/wp-content/gallery/obama-corrupt-cabinet/janet_napolitano.jpg

BattleFlag1776
12-09-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm convinced half of them won't give a shit even when we're all in FEMA camps. They'll still believe whatever the government is saying and of course they will walk into the showers naively joking about the funny smell...

Don't worry about the FEMA camps. When you have legislation that allows for 12 random people in your town to be snatched off the street and be detained indefinitely, watch how fast the remaining townsfolk get in line and obey. I view this type of legislation as a cost saver for the govt because it essentially can turn a town into a self-run FEMA camp sans FEMA.

Noob
12-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Tell Congress: Say NO to Indefinite Detention and Endless Worldwide War

The Senate has passed a version of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that includes a dangerous provision authorizing the U.S. military to pick up and imprison civilians — including Americans — without charge or trial, anywhere in the world, including in your own backyard. The provisions were negotiated by a few senators — in secret — and without proper Congressional review. The House of Representatives earlier passed its own version of the NDAA that authorizes worldwide war, and worldwide indefinite detention, even within America itself. And now, the House and Senate are meeting in secret to write a final version and find a way to rush this outrageous affront to our constitutional rights to President Obama's desk.

Tell your members of Congress to vote NO on the NDAA if it contains indefinite detention without charge or trial or new worldwide war powers. Time is critical because these secret negotiators hope to jam the bill through Congress within a week or two.

https://secure.aclu.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3895&s_sbsrc=111205_AdvocacyNDAA_fixNDAAredirect

http://www.votervoice.net/core.aspx?AID=972&Screen=alert&IssueId=26757&APP=GAC&SiteID=-1&VV_CULTURE=en-us

Anti Federalist
12-09-2011, 04:05 PM

Why?

Congress ignores us.

John F Kennedy III
12-09-2011, 04:42 PM

Congress said YES. Maybe we should say NO harder.

heavenlyboy34
12-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Why?

Congress ignores us.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again."
damn! :(

mrsat_98
12-12-2011, 05:39 AM
The "Drug Cartels" will be the next terrorists and those who support them will get a free trip to Camp Fema.

Anti Federalist
12-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Don't worry about the FEMA camps. When you have legislation that allows for 12 random people in your town to be snatched off the street and be detained indefinitely, watch how fast the remaining townsfolk get in line and obey. I view this type of legislation as a cost saver for the govt because it essentially can turn a town into a self-run FEMA camp sans FEMA.

I missed that, good point.

According to Canadian historian Robert Gellately's analysis of the local offices established, the Gestapo was—for the most part—made up of bureaucrats and clerical workers who depended upon denunciations by citizens for their information. Gellately argued that it was because of the widespread willingness of Germans to inform on each other to the Gestapo that Germany between 1933 and 1945 was a prime example of Panopticism. Indeed, the Gestapo—at times—was overwhelmed with denunciations and most of its time was spent sorting out the credible from the less credible denunciations. Many of the local offices were understaffed and overworked, struggling with the paper load caused by so many denunciations. Gellately has also suggested that the Gestapo was "a reactive organization" that "...which was constructed within German society and whose functioning was structurally dependent on the continuing co-operation of German citizens".

Feeding the Abscess
12-12-2011, 01:03 PM
See something, say something!