PDA

View Full Version : Need to inform people that there are already laws out there for bad stuff

Elwar
12-09-2011, 08:24 AM
You always see people complaining about bad things that happen and then talk about how we need a law to stop it.

But just about every bad thing they want to stop is covered by a few simple laws already on the books:

murder
manslaughter
theft
fraud
assault

Let's use this thread to list grievances and categorize them in the actual high level laws that are already on the books.

Such as:
Drug War: excuse is that people do drugs and either steal to get more drugs or they could get behind the wheel and kill someone.
Already covered: theft and manslaughter

Drunk Driving: Someone who is drinking may get behind the wheel and kill someone in a car accident.
Already covered: assault, manslaughter

Driving with cell phone: Statistics showing people who talk on their cell phones or texting while driving getting into accidents, possibly killing someone.
Already covered: assault, manslaughter

War on Terror: the muslim radicals are out to get us...they might kill us...we are scared...
Already covered: murder

Dodd-Frank Act: Corporations are greedy and do bad things pulling the wool over the eyes of consumers
Already covered: fraud

Any others we can cover?

DamianTV
12-09-2011, 08:34 AM
There are two phrases you dont hear in this country any more:

#1 This is a Free Country.
#2 There ought to be a Law against that.

Revolution9
12-09-2011, 08:39 AM
There are two phrases you dont hear in this country any more:

#1 This is a Free Country.
#2 There ought to be a Law against that.

"Land of the brie and home of the crave"

Rev9

Dr.3D
12-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Laws don't keep people from doing anything they wouldn't do anyway. Lawmakers are confused if they think making a law against something is going to keep it from happening.

Philhelm
12-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Someone is driving while talking on a cell phone and gets into a vehicle collision with you.
Already covered.

Someone is driving while intoxicated and causes injury and property damage.
Already covered.

I'm sure we can go on and on about how stupid our laws are. Hell, our legal system doesn't even maintain any sort of internal logic. My favorite is that abortion is legal but murdering a pregnant woman counts as two murders...which is it, government? I also like the fact that drug dealers can get more jail time than a pedophile. If the cops walk in on a guy who is simultaneously smoking a joint and raping a young child, do the cops lead with, "Put down the drugs!!!"?

Really, we only need laws that protect the life, liberty, and property of others.

Pericles
12-09-2011, 09:29 AM
I think the OP has it covered.

Dutch
12-09-2011, 09:37 AM
"Land of the brie and home of the crave"

Rev9

"Land of the fee, home of the slave"?

Krugerrand
12-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Sale of raw milk is already covered under ...

oh wait ... there's not justification in that one.

vechorik
12-09-2011, 09:55 AM
hate crime laws weren't necessary either

Elwar
12-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Also, these are all state laws and should be handled at the state level...

Nothing the federal government should be involved in.