PDA

View Full Version : The Ron Paul effect: Texas congressman could spoil the GOP’s party

svobody
12-08-2011, 10:52 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2011/12/08/the-ron-paul-effect-texas-congressman-could-spoil-the-gops-party/

sailingaway
12-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I didn't post this because it was a 'he could run third party ' hit piece, and what is that nonsense Fein came up with about VP?

Ron won't run third party, but SOMEONE will, and the GOP will need Ron as nominee to keep the disaffected voting GOP.

CUnknown
12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
The GOP is doomed if they -don't- nominate Ron. Gingrich was destroy the party, Romney would destroy the party... I think it goes without saying that Santorum or Perry would pretty much destroy the party. Bachman might actually be the best bet, if your only goal is to keep the party together. But of course she would lose to Obama horribly.

svobody
12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I didn't post this because it was a 'he could run third party ' hit piece, and what is that nonsense Fein came up with about VP?

Ron won't run third party, but SOMEONE will, and the GOP will need Ron as nominee to keep the disaffected voting GOP.

I doubt it's nonsense if Fein said it. He sort of implied that the campaign expects a brokered convention... if that happens, they're going to need to be pragmatic and at least try to make a deal for some big appointments / some sort of concessions from the GOP. Ron of course holding the trump card of running 3rd party if not satisfied. I thought it was an interesting insight into what the endgame here is, outside of winning the nomination. Everybody needs a contingency plan.

sailingaway
12-08-2011, 11:01 PM
I doubt it's nonsense if Fein said it. He sort of implied that the campaign expects a brokered convention... if that happens, they're going to need to be pragmatic and at least try to make a deal for some big appointments / some sort of concessions from the GOP. Ron of course holding the trump card of running 3rd party if not satisfied. I thought it was an interesting insight into what the endgame here is, outside of winning the nomination. Everybody needs a contingency plan.

I'm sure it was pure speculation on Fein's part, from nowhere.

svobody
12-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm sure it was pure speculation on Fein's part, from nowhere.
Really, on the record, as somebody employed by the campaign? Weird. Seems out of place for somebody who's had such a long role in presidential electoral politics, but I guess.

Bruno
12-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Not spoil, but rather return it to its roots.

sailingaway
12-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Ron has, very recently, been asked about accepting VP and he laughed. It is not something he is considering at all. Remember when they asked if he'd accept VP from McCain and he said he couldn't because what if McCain invaded Iran? He said he'd have to resign.

Staff have absurd notions when it comes to Ron Paul.

LibertyEsq
12-08-2011, 11:08 PM
There's no reason not to be 100% in it to win it. If Gingrich falls, we could easily win Iowa, and by momentum, NH.

Disappointed in Fein

gls
12-08-2011, 11:13 PM
A Paul endorsement alone would probably be enough to screw over the GOP, if it was strong enough. It looks like Johnson is the favorite to win the LP nomination; the only real obstacle I see there is the abortion issue. Nevertheless it is way too early to even be discussing this -- we still have a decent chance to pull off a victory in the Republican primaries, this is not the time to get sidetracked.