PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Continues To Influence People With Anti-Christian Bigotry

bobbyw24
12-08-2011, 03:17 PM
by Mary Chastain

Here we go again. Prepare to be shocked, appalled — even offended! — by another attack on Christians, namely Catholics, by none other than pope hater Sinead O’Connor. I’m just kidding about being offended; it’s obvious she’s screaming for attention (killing the pope? bet it took her a few weeks to think up that one) and, unfortunately for her, this article won’t just be about her but all of Hollywood. Sorry, Sinead.

What the formerly relevant singer said is not surprising, but then again, it’s never surprising to hear a celebrity disparaging Christianity. Remember this gem from Rosie O’Donnell?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIoDTzvEdGw&feature=player_embedded

I have news for Hollywood. It’s not risque to attack Christians, and it’s long been a cliché even for our side to say it’s overdone. If you want to be risque, attack Islam, atheists, or agnostics. My husband is a cradle Catholic (meaning raised Catholic), and he says most of these attacks just roll off his back. Most don’t offend or bother him anymore because it’s simply become the norm. But that doesn’t mean it should be ignored or criticism should be spared for trite offense-mongering like Lady Gaga’s “Alejandro” video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niqrrmev4mA&feature=player_embedded

If you don’t want to watch the video, I understand. Lady Gaga is dressed in a blood red habit and swallows a rosary. This desecration of the rosary is offensive to Catholics because of our veneration (not worship) of Mary, mother of God. The director of the video claims Lady Gaga just wanted to take in the Holy. As a lifelong Catholic, Miss Gaga should know better than that, and if she wanted to “take in the Holy,” there are ways of doing it that won’t cause as many digestive problems, like attending Mass and taking Communion.

Anyway, this scene is interspersed with shots of her in a white robe with crosses on it, an obvious take on the Catholic Saint Joan of Arc. Her male dancers are all over her and she eventually can’t resist so she turns around, rips off the robe, and lets the men sexually devour her. Joan of Arc was a brave woman and has become a very popular and well-loved saint in the Catholic church. To use her imagery in this way is in inexcusably poor taste, not to mention completely unnecessary. There are no lyrics in the song to justify its video’s blatant disrespect for Catholicism.

Beyond the music world, Christian-bashing extends to television both on and offscreen. If you haven’t read Ben Shapiro’s book Primetime Propaganda, buy it now. In his chapter “The Clique,” he brings up Patricia Heaton, an incredibly talented actress who also happens to be conservative and a devout Christian. Mark Harris, a former executive editor of shows like “The Office,” expected to hate “The Middle” because Heaton was its star. Of course, since Ms. Heaton is a conservative, that means the show has to be conservative, right? Wrong! Mr. Shapiro also reveals that in 2006, Kathy Griffin did an interview with the National Enquirer (because when you want to be taken seriously that’s where you go for an interview) and said Ms. Heaton grosses her out because she says it’s not in the Bible gays should not be together, and “those are pieces of information I can’t forget about.” Mr. Shapiro correctly states Ms. Heaton has never said anything about gay marriage.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/mchastain/2011/10/10/hollywood-continues-to-make-friends-influence-people-with-anti-christian-bigotry/

ExPatPaki
12-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I don't know what this author is talking about. Hollywood has been attacking Islam for decades.

jkr
12-08-2011, 03:31 PM
BOTH Christianity AND Islam are attacked by "hollywood"

divide and conquer

Pericles
12-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Not surprising, as the libertine lifestyle seems centered there. Being offensive to Christians no longer carries any kind of social penalty. I would expect devout Muslims to be equally offended, and if there were any Islamic jihad type we hate the west terrorists out there, it would seem that Hollywood would be a tempting target for them.

James Madison
12-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't know what this author is talking about. Hollywood has been attacking Islam for decades.

Agreed.

Interesting that Judaism seems largely immune to these tactics.

Zippyjuan
12-08-2011, 03:43 PM
A collective "Hollywood" does not exist. There are many different people who work in the film and TV industry and they have many different viewpoints on things and movies and TV programs also present many different views. If you look you can find ones that project any view you want.

Johnny Appleseed
12-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I think a good christian should expect to be persecuted by the world

Sola_Fide
12-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Speaking as a Reformed Christian, I am just saddened by the fact that these people think that Popes, Mary worship, and rosary beads have anything to do with Christianity in the first place.

Philhelm
12-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Speaking as a Reformed Christian, I am just saddened by the fact that these people think that Popes, Mary worship, and rosary beads have anything to do with Christianity in the first place.

I don't think it's fair to say that Catholics worship Mary. I know that's been a common accusation since the Reformation, but I don't think it's historically accurate.

ExPatPaki
12-08-2011, 06:42 PM

What's the purpose of rosary beads anyways? Is it to count prayers like in Islam?

Johnny Appleseed
12-08-2011, 07:08 PM
They should praise Pauls mother not Jesus's, he came for the Jews, Paul is the gentiles Jesus.

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Always thought it was quite hilarious to see Jean of Arc canonized by the same Church which killed her. Talk about ironic.

Sola_Fide
12-08-2011, 07:10 PM
They should praise Pauls mother not Jesus's, he came for the Jews, Paul is the gentiles Jesus.

Huh?

Johnny Appleseed
12-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Mathew 15:27
And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.

And she saith, truth, Lord,.... She owns all that he had said to be true, that he was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel: that she was indeed but a dog, a poor sinful creature, and unworthy of any favour; and that it was not right and fitting that all the children's bread should be taken from them and given to dogs:

yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their master's table. The Syriac and Persic versions add "and live": thus she wisely lays hold upon and improves in a very beautiful manner, in her own favour, what seemed to be so much against her. It is observed (q) of the Syrophoenicians in general, that they have all, in their common talk, something "pleasant and graceful", as there is indeed in this smart reply of her's, who was one of that people. She suggests that though the Gentiles were but dogs, and she one of them; yet their common Lord and Master had a propriety in them, and they in him; and were to be maintained and fed, and ought to live, though not in such fulness of favours and blessings, as the Jews, the children of God: nor did she desire their affluence, only that a crumb of mercy might be given her, that her poor daughter might be healed; which was but a small favour, in comparison of the numerous ones he heaped upon the children, the Jews: nor would this be any more detrimental to them, than it is to the children, for the dogs, under the table, to eat of the crumbs that fall.

Echoes
12-08-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't think it's fair to say that Catholics worship Mary. I know that's been a common accusation since the Reformation, but I don't think it's historically accurate.

True.

Catholic myself and have never worshiped Mary. No one in my family does/has either. I dont personally know of anyone who does. It's mostly propaganda used as a tool by 'reformed' christians. The same way they invented the rapture two centuries ago and now its mainstream.

Ironically jehova witnesses and other sects label evangelicals as 'idol worshipers' for merely displaying a crucifix. they consider it an idol.

QueenB4Liberty
12-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah I don't know any Catholic who worships Mary. We pray the Hail Mary, that does not mean we worship her.

DamianTV
12-08-2011, 09:46 PM
As much as I am not a Christian, I think it is more important for Non Christians to stick up for the right of Christians to be Christians than to allow those in power to divide all of us based on different religious perspectives.

ExPatPaki
12-08-2011, 10:04 PM
As much as I am not a Christian, I think it is more important for Non Christians to stick up for the right of Christians to be Christians than to allow those in power to divide all of us based on different religious perspectives.

True. One thing that I noticed when I first came to this country was that there were no Christmas trees at all in the public schools. The school which I went to in Lebanon which mostly had a Christian administration had Christmas trees in every classroom. My class was all Muslim, the teacher was a Muslim, yet we had no problem decorating a tree and singing carols.

ryanmkeisling
12-08-2011, 10:41 PM
I have no problem with this, its entertainment to me.

The catholic church has more blood on its hands, historically than any other "church." It is also a cabal of sodomites, this cannot even be argued as more and more molested boys come forward every year, WORLDWIDE. The church government (especially the current pope) has been turning its head the other way for far to long, abandoning these children, in the name of GOD, its total sickness. Maybe they should get their own house in order before whining about being offended by hollywood?

I am offended by the catholic church, seriously.

DamianTV
12-09-2011, 02:13 AM
I have no problem with this, its entertainment to me.

The catholic church has more blood on its hands, historically than any other "church." It is also a cabal of sodomites, this cannot even be argued as more and more molested boys come forward every year, WORLDWIDE. The church government (especially the current pope) has been turning its head the other way for far to long, abandoning these children, in the name of GOD, its total sickness. Maybe they should get their own house in order before whining about being offended by hollywood?

I am offended by the catholic church, seriously.

It extends beyond just the part of the Entertainment Industry that you see, and most people are reasonable and fair in their treatment of other people of faiths different than their own. I do understand that one of the reasons that we dont see a lot of more religious material in the products of the media is to make a reasonable effort to try not to step on anyone elses toes that do have a different belief than a single one that might be portrayed in the content. Behind the scenes is quite a bit different, and not all are about religion. Most of the MSM is owned by the Jewish (accordingly). Now if we believe that, lets look deeper, and as always, follow the money. NBC, owned by G.E., one of the biggest Military Contractors for the US Govt. For them, promoting an Anti War would be bad for their bottom line. But instead, if they beat their war drums and rile up the public until the public wants more war, the US Govt responds with an increased need for Military related products produced by G.E.

This has nothing to do with religion. If we werent looking at attacking Iran, but instead say Canada, religion still wouldnt be an issue because NBC / G.E. would bang the war drums agains Canada just as quickly because any sort of Military action by the U.S. Govt is financially more profitable than promoting any form of peace. However, in order to accomplish their means, (their meaning G.E.), they need to be able to sell the idea of War to as many people as possible, and try to have people only Unite if it is good for their pocket books. And in order to do so, they need to target specific groups of people based on the way those people can be expected to respond. NBC is in the business of Marketing and Advertising. Does anyone think that they arent already fully aware of how to target specific groups of people in order to provoke a response that they would want?

What we need to realize is that the differences that separate us or unite us many times are for the Financial Benefit of the Corporate State. If we stand together, we need to stand together of our own free will, not because NBC ran a misleading news article. If we are divided, then we need to protect each others rights to disagree amongst ourselves by settling our disagreements amongst ourselves, even if that settling comes down to agreeing to remain in disagreement on a specific issue.

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-09-2011, 02:17 AM
Saw "the view" and paused it.

ryanmkeisling
12-09-2011, 02:29 AM
I don't even have a TV and haven't for years. I could care less what Hollywood says or thinks about anything. What I do dislike though is when people try to prop up the catholic church as some wonderful religious organization.

Hollywood is tame in comparison to the centuries of bloodlust and abuse the catholic church has been involved in. It is probably the most vile institution in any society and its own lengthy history is filled with more horrible things done in the name of God than good. The catholic church needs more than reform, in needs pure destitution and to cease to exist.

Those that continue to support it continue to support the horrible atrocities it has and continues to support. Pure evil.

Hollywood only makes plastic.

bill1971
12-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Freedom of speech. Sure to some its offensive but so are the things Michelle Bachman say, but I stand by their right to say it.

bobbyw24
12-12-2011, 09:40 AM
True.

Catholic myself and have never worshiped Mary. No one in my family does/has either. I dont personally know of anyone who does. It's mostly propaganda used as a tool by 'reformed' Christians.

I know right

Fredom101
12-12-2011, 10:11 AM
BOTH Christianity AND Islam are attacked by "hollywood"

divide and conquer

Stop with this. The most persecuted group in America pretty much are atheists. You're almost better off being a child molester in some parts of the country! ;)

bobbyw24
12-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Stop with this. The most persecuted group in America pretty much are atheists. You're almost better off being a child molester in some parts of the country! ;)

You need to start the AADL

specialkornflake
12-12-2011, 11:11 AM
A bunch of libertarians/conservatives are Christian, and a lot of libertarians are agnostic/atheist like myself. So basically the OP is wrong, lol, but this seems too divisive too bring up on here, expecting support.