PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul ahead of the curve: RNC Chair takes issue with Trump debate

Bruno
12-08-2011, 11:19 AM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/08/rnc-chair-takes-issue-with-trump-debate/

(CNN) -Reince Priebus said Thursday his role as Republican National Committee chairman requires him to raise questions about the debate moderated by businessman Donald Trump.

"I think it would be malpractice for me as an RNC chairman not to believe that's an issue," Priebus said.

Allowing that "candidates can do whatever they want to do," Priebus asserted his "concern of a moderator who is talking of running as an independent still being a moderator of a debate" in an interview on Fox News.

"I would have an issue with that and I would understand candidates who say, 'Look, I don't know if I want to avail myself where the moderator might be… still talking about potentially running as an independent candidate,'" Priebus said.

"I think that's a problem."

Trump, who flirted with a run for the 2012 GOP nomination for president, will moderate a presidential debate hosted by Newsmax scheduled for Dec. 27.

The real estate mogul has met with several GOP contenders ostensibly seeking his endorsement, including Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, and Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

Trump told CNN's Piers Morgan Wednesday, "I know a lot of the moderators and some are wonderful, and some aren't, but I know the issues better than the moderators" and touted ratings of his reality show as an additional incentive to participate.

Although the debate was also endorsed by 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, so far former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum and Gingrich are the only candidates who have agreed to attend. Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, Texas Rep. Ron Paul, and Romney declined to participate, while Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Bachmann are still on the fence.

"I think that having a successful businessman serving as a moderator has a lot of value but the issue here is whether the moderator should be a person who is still batting around the idea of running as an independent," Priebus said.

oyarde
12-08-2011, 11:24 AM
This Trump thing is a joke . Gop should be embarrassed this guy claims to be one . He says some outrageous things , nobody calls him on it . Reminds me of some dem congressmen .

robertwerden
12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
yet another good call by Ron