PDA

View Full Version : Possible new version of No to Newt, need feedback

tremendoustie
12-08-2011, 11:01 AM
So, here's the old version: http://www.notonewt.com

Here's the draft of the new version, put together by user scottnix.com: http://scottnix.com/test4/

Nirvikalpa
12-08-2011, 11:19 AM
God yes. No more blue links, easier to read... I don't know how I feel about the "Why say No?" though.

Up text by 1pt, easier to read still... especially since older conservatives may be interested in reading.

I really like it overall.

tremendoustie
12-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Bump -- I'd really like some more feedback before we go live with this.

milo10
12-08-2011, 01:04 PM
While the new version is definitely better, the most important thing is to reverse the order. You want the newest stuff up near the top, as it interests people the most.

teacherone
12-08-2011, 01:11 PM
new version is great!

second the reverse chronological order idea.

PauliticsPolitics
12-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Reverse chrono for sure.
No "why say no."

InTradePro
12-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Like the new layout. Moderating comments maybe not be fun unless you have delete control in which case it may also require some time to moderate.

tremendoustie
12-08-2011, 01:23 PM
My thought was that people are more likely to be already aware of the recent issues, and many of the older ones are more hard hitting -- creating dpt. of education, increasing debt limits, gun control, fairness doctrine, GATT, federal funding for abortions, etc.

If people are only going to read ten lines, I want it to be those.

tremendoustie
12-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Like the new layout. Moderating comments maybe not be fun unless you have delete control in which case it may also require some time to moderate.

I'll have delete control, but I won't be pre-approving comments.

PauliticsPolitics
12-08-2011, 01:26 PM
My thought was that people are more likely to be already aware of the recent issues, and many of the older ones are more hard hitting -- creating dpt. of education, increasing debt limits, gun control, fairness doctrine, GATT, federal funding for abortions, etc.

True enough.
Then maybe screw chronological order and list them by order of importance.

olehounddog
12-08-2011, 01:42 PM
this 1
http://scottnix.com/test4/

teacherone
12-08-2011, 01:43 PM
then order them however you want (most damaging on top) and have the dates at the end.

give the user the option of ordering chronologically.

squirekyle
12-08-2011, 03:02 PM
new one , of course!

scottnix.com
12-08-2011, 06:35 PM
give the user the option of ordering chronologically.

Uh oh, something like that would actually take some effort (PHP programming) ;P

TwoJ
12-08-2011, 06:38 PM
New one, what about adding the newt attack ad from RP somewhere on the page?

milo10
12-08-2011, 06:49 PM

I personally don't care much about what someone did 30 years ago. If it was a major scandal, yes. If it was just voting on a different position than what we expect from them today, no. I guarantee that everyone here who is old enough had many different views in 1980 than what they have today.

I would reverse chrono, and bold the most significant ones. The stuff that can't be explained away.

Edit: Btw, I didn't see what is possibly Newt's most extreme scandal, the $37 million pocketed by his think tank from the health care industry:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/18/1037723/-Newt-Gingrichs-firm-collected-at-least-$37-million-from-health-care-industry

tremendoustie
12-08-2011, 08:36 PM
I personally don't care much about what someone did 30 years ago. If it was a major scandal, yes. If it was just voting on a different position than what we expect from them today, no. I guarantee that everyone here who is old enough had many different views in 1980 than what they have today.

I would reverse chrono, and bold the most significant ones. The stuff that can't be explained away.

I feel that the ascending chronological order encourages people to keep reading until the end.

Also, many of his earlier positions lend credence to some of his more recent missteps -- e.g., he's been for widespread government environmental controls for a long time.

I really am concerned that if they're ordered the other way, many people will read the top few and skip the rest -- for just the reason you're stating. I've seen the website linked (or just the copied list) on many other forums and websites, and the responses have been terrific. It's already been shared 600+ times on facebook.

It's hard because so many here seem to favor descending order, but thinking it through, I strongly believe the site will have a greater impact as-is.

Here's another site, recently posted on RPF: http://www.newtexposed.com/

I think they do a great job, though it has a different feel -- perhaps they could be convinced to reverse the order -- or perhaps you could start another. Feel free to grab any content or graphics from my site which you'd like to use, of course.

(btw, Ron Paul's managed to be consistently pro-liberty for 30 years ;))

Edit: Btw, I didn't see what is possibly Newt's most extreme scandal, the $37 million pocketed by his think tank from the health care industry:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/18/1037723/-Newt-Gingrichs-firm-collected-at-least-$37-million-from-health-care-industry

Great suggestion, I'll add it (from the WP though, of course, not DK).

K, we'll go forward with the new one, remove the "Why say no", keep the subtitle black (though maybe change the font), and bump the text size up a point. Thanks for the feedback everyone -- sorry about my obstinance on the ordering issue. Any other feedback is still welcome.

tremendoustie
12-08-2011, 08:52 PM
New one, what about adding the newt attack ad from RP somewhere on the page?

I want to keep RP out of this, so that current Newt supporters have a better chance of coming over, and so supporters of other candidates feel that they can pass this around too, without endorsing Ron.