PDA

View Full Version : Americans leaving US in record numbers

qwerty
12-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Ever dream of leaving it all behind and heading out of America? You’re not the only one. A new study shows that more US citizens than ever before are living outside of the country.

According to statistics from the US State Department, around 6.4 million Americans are either working or studying overseas, which Gallup says is the largest number ever for such statistic.

The polling organization came across the number after conducting surveys in 135 outside nations and the information behind the numbers reveal that this isn’t exactly a longtime coming either — numbers have skyrocketed only in recent years. In the 24 months before polling began, the number of Americans between the ages of 25 and 34 living abroad managed to surge from barely 1 percent to over 5.1 percent. For those under the age span wishing to move overseas, the percentage has jumped in the same amount of time from 15 percent to 40.

http://rt.com/usa/news/leaving-us-america-country-289/

rp08orbust
12-08-2011, 07:32 AM
I've lived in Australia for eight years but went to my town's Thanksgiving party for local Americans for the first time. Apparently attendance doubled over last year. Ironic but sad. We are the new pilgrims.

Kelly.
12-08-2011, 10:07 AM
i would love to talk to (pm) people who are currently living overseas.

i have been researching this and i have some questions for people who have taken the plunge.
if anyone can put me in contact with liberty minded folks who have left the US, please let me know.

thanks.

Bosco Warden
12-08-2011, 10:33 AM
I've been looking into leaving for some time, I got it down to Costa Rica, or Ecuador, the later has cheap land and are "American" friendly.

But if you dont have a passport already, I am hearing that new passports carry a way to track and tax you anywhere you go, regardless. Now, this is rumor, I read this on Zero hedge awhile back.

jtstellar
12-08-2011, 11:02 AM
i believe if european union falls apart, europe will return to its renaissance,

where nations on a cramped continent create fierce competition on low taxes and friendly trade policies.. there's going to be another age of boom of industrial advances there.

we might even see another bright age of philosophy, like how john locke and others came about, who were directly responsible for much of our founding father's school of thought, james madison, for instance.

vechorik
12-08-2011, 11:13 AM
I've lived in Australia for eight years but went to my town's Thanksgiving party for local Americans for the first time. Apparently attendance doubled over last year. Ironic but sad. We are the new pilgrims.

Why in the world would an American prefer Australia to America? Australia is light-years ahead toward global government with their green president, cap and trade, etc. Did you jump from the kettle into the fire? Cigarettes $20 per pack there. Now about to tax the heck out of citizens to run digital wires to every home....I could go on.....but you live there and should know more than I know about the subject. What am I missing?

Revolution9
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
It seems that China is the place to go to start a new business. Learn Mandarin.

Rev9

Tiger35
12-08-2011, 11:34 AM
i believe if european union falls apart, europe will return to its renaissance where nations on a cramped continent create fierce competition on low taxes and friendly trade policies.. there's going to be another age of boom of industrial advances there. we might even see another bright age of philosophy, like how john locke and others came about, who were directly responsible for much of our founding father's school of thought, james madison, for instance. Let's hope they don't do the opposite and just start killing each other.

Diurdi
12-08-2011, 11:41 AM

Rev9 South-East asia maybe, but not China.

Eroberer
12-08-2011, 11:46 AM
I am one of those. Europe is nice, but it's not the same.

seyferjm
12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Bumping this becasue I'm curious about those who have lived outside of the US, mainly in Germany. I have relatives there and have though about living overseas for a little while if I ever got the chance to do so. (never would permanatly relocate though)

Kuthreck
12-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Where are these people going?

Elwar
12-13-2011, 12:12 PM
I've been looking into leaving for some time, I got it down to Costa Rica, or Ecuador, the later has cheap land and are "American" friendly.

Been looking at Costa Rica as well. Check out the eastern shore for cheap land, the Americans have pretty much taken over the west coast thanks to the great fishing and surfing and beautiful sunsets. But the carribean side is still relatively untouched.

Kelly.
12-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Where are these people going?
that is the $15,000,000,000,000 question.

i think it depends on why you want to leave as to what country you will end up in.
no country is perfect.

we are looking mainly at central america.

Aden
12-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Rev9

I have been looking into China for the past month. One of my siblings has lived there for a long time and has many connections. They are in the process of hooking me up with a job. I already got one offer but it was too low.

Believe it or not, I do not fear their government any more than ours. And in a lot of ways I'd be more free in China than the U.S. The biggest obstacle to living there is the pollution. I'm researching that right now. If I can find a way to get around the pollution, then I have no hesitations about fleeing this craphole country for that craphole country. The difference is that the former is closing down and on the decline, and the latter is opening up and on the incline.

Pericles
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Lived in Germany 4 years and residence in Switzerland since 1997. Ask whatever you want.

LibForestPaul
12-13-2011, 08:42 PM
It is very hard as a laborer to emigrant to another country. If you are retired with savings, pension, and soc sec, if you are starting your own business with your own funding, or are employed by an large international, then yes, you could leave. Good luck otherwise.

mtr1979
12-13-2011, 08:54 PM
I've looked at moving abroad and for me it would be quite difficult. From what I have read in my limited research in order to move to another country one must posses a critical skill, have a trade, be a doctor, etc. Here is a link to Australia's Skilled Occupation List:

http://www.visabureau.com/australia/sol.aspx

Warrior_of_Freedom
12-13-2011, 11:17 PM
you can live in thailand for $100 a month. Well, probably $150 now because of all the money being stolen via inflation.

seyferjm
12-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Lived in Germany 4 years and residence in Switzerland since 1997. Ask whatever you want.

Which did you prefer ultimately?

Pauls' Revere
12-13-2011, 11:28 PM

But if you dont have a passport already, I am hearing that new passports carry a way to track and tax you anywhere you go, regardless. Now, this is rumor, I read this on Zero hedge awhile back.

why not Belize? just curious.

http://sanctuarybelize.com/
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bh.html

Pericles
12-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Which did you prefer ultimately?

Switzerland is much more business friendly and for a liberty type, Switzerland is culturally more compatible. However, the legal systems are very different, and Switzerland can go the tyranny of the majority one better than the US. Example: if want to become a Swiss citizen, you jump through the legal hoops, and finally, the citizens in your community vote on whether or not they want to have you as a citizen.

RDM
12-13-2011, 11:59 PM
why not Belize? just curious.

http://sanctuarybelize.com/
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/bh.html

The Belize dollar is fixed to the U.S. Dollar. Dollar crashes so goes the Belize dollar buying power.

Adrian.Bisson
12-14-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm living in South Korea and I'm happy not to be paying US taxes to fund the American empire/drug war/bailouts/etc. and that I'm not earning a living in Federal Reserve Notes. It's not exactly a more free country, unfortunately.

I'll definitely move back to the US if Ron Paul wins!

Pauls' Revere
12-14-2011, 12:41 AM
The Belize dollar is fixed to the U.S. Dollar. Dollar crashes so goes the Belize dollar buying power.

Thanks.

:)

Echoes
12-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Honestly, where the hell can you go. It's tyrannical everywhere.

But i was wondering about Switzerland, do the states (cantons) have more power (pound for pound) then the states in america ?

Pericles
12-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Honestly, where the hell can you go. It's tyrannical everywhere.

But i was wondering about Switzerland, do the states (cantons) have more power (pound for pound) then the states in america ?

Yes, but just as in the US, Kanton power is being eroded by federal level lawmaking. Example in immigration - the feds set a max quota of immigration permits and there is a federal pool for "targeted skills". The Kantons can let in anybody they want, up to the quota. In any particular case, the Kantons want the federal pool to be used if possible (mine came from the federal pool) before using their quota. The advantage I had in a federal granting of immigration is that I could choose my Kanton of residence (which determines income tax rate, which is a combination of federal rate, the Kanton rate, and Community rate. When you have the ability to choose where you live (limited to Swiss citizens, foreigners with C permits, and foreigners with federal granted B permits). I got to choose where I wanted to live with the federal B, before I got the C (permanent resident).

Generally, the federal government handles foreign affairs, military, mail, autobahns and rail, constitutional law and rights. Just about everything else is Kanton / Community, and almost anything is subject to vote based on type of new law or initiative.

rolle
12-14-2011, 12:45 PM
So Ron's comment about building fences to keep us citizens in doesn't seem so crazy anymore.

seyferjm
12-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Switzerland is much more business friendly and for a liberty type, Switzerland is culturally more compatible. However, the legal systems are very different, and Switzerland can go the tyranny of the majority one better than the US. Example: if want to become a Swiss citizen, you jump through the legal hoops, and finally, the citizens in your community vote on whether or not they want to have you as a citizen.

I assumed that Switzerland would be more conservative/free. I've also heard that it's one of the hardest, if not the hardest, places to get citizenship. Last I saw, the right-wing SVP was gaining influence.

Pericles
12-14-2011, 01:26 PM
I assumed that Switzerland would be more conservative/free. I've also heard that it's one of the hardest, if not the hardest, places to get citizenship. Last I saw, the right-wing SVP was gaining influence.

To apply for citizenship, you have to be a permanent resident (unlimited B or C permit) for 14 years, the last 7 of which must be in the community in which you wish to apply. You go through an interview process to see if you have learned to fit into the Swiss lifestyle (language and culture), then your name goes on the next quarterly ballot in your community for a referendum on if the community wants to accept you as a citizen. If rejected, there is a time restriction on applying again.

The SVP is now the largest (plurality) party in Switzerland, and it is always a riot to get their literature in my mailbox ("The Truth About Foreigners").

Chieppa1
12-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Been looking at Costa Rica as well. Check out the eastern shore for cheap land, the Americans have pretty much taken over the west coast thanks to the great fishing and surfing and beautiful sunsets. But the carribean side is still relatively untouched.

From my father and I have been told from our visits to Costa Rica, (We own some condos and real estate on the west coast) the east is partly untouched because of the drug trade going up the cost line from South America and Jamaica.

devil21
12-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Costa Rica generally just wants your money to become a resident. $250k in a Costa Rican bank account or $50k invested in a tourism venture or maintain (or start) a multinational business and have an office there. Those sorts of things will get you in the door in CR.

The_Ruffneck
12-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Why in the world would an American prefer Australia to America? Australia is light-years ahead toward global government with their green president, cap and trade, etc.
They're way behind on the GM foods side though , waaaaay behind.
And the sodas have real sugar not corn syrup in!

heavenlyboy34
12-14-2011, 03:51 PM
South-East asia maybe, but not China.
This ^^ It might not be a bad idea to learn Mandarin, though. The Chinese regime could well become the new dominant market in the world in the next decade. Wasn't it Jim Rogers who predicted this will be "The Chinese Century"?

The Dude
12-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Anyone know how New Zealand is?

Kelly.
12-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Anyone know how New Zealand is?
depends on who you ask,
but it is pretty hard to get in there unless you are a highly skilled worked that is in demand.

amonasro
12-14-2011, 05:03 PM
If anyone is considering Ecuador, don't. I just spent a month there and while it is beautiful and land is cheap, there's also a lot more crime than we're used to. Everything has obnoxious alarms (houses, cars), people don't stop at red lights at night, gated communities are double-gated with multiple layers of security, and you generally don't go out alone at night. They also converted to the dollar a few years ago and many people lost a lot of money.

specialK
12-14-2011, 05:04 PM
From my father and I have been told from our visits to Costa Rica, (We own some condos and real estate on the west coast) the east is partly untouched because of the drug trade going up the cost line from South America and Jamaica.

East Coast town Limon, Costa Rica, was a very rough town, and rather scary for a lone backpacking young female when I was there - not my kinda place. I had just come from Guatemala during its civil war and felt safe there in comparison - machined-gunned soldiers on every street corner, military checkpoints and all.

Makes sense about the drug trade. East coast town Bluefields, Nicaragua is said to have a cocaine addiction problem as bales of it washes up on the beach lost in transport. Eastern Costa Rica probably has the same problems.

mello
12-14-2011, 05:27 PM
I was saw the Singapore episode of Anthony Bourdain's "The Layover" & that might be a good place to move to. The majority speaks english. Crime is very low. Great food. Just do not bring any drugs with you because Singapore is hardcore when it comes to illegal drugs.

Brick-in-the-Wall
12-14-2011, 05:56 PM
The thing I've loved about Switzerland is gun control. They have little of it.

apex
12-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I wonder if they took into consideration that population increases everyday therefore every year this actual number will most likely be going up. Not to mention every university and community college is reporting RECORD enrollment numbers every semester.

donnay
12-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I would refer those thinking about leaving to read this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?337871-Should-you-leave-the-USA-before-the-collapse-Words-of-wisdom-from-someone-who-tried

There is no where to run...

seyferjm
12-14-2011, 06:48 PM
The thing I've loved about Switzerland is gun control. They have little of it.

I think the Czech Republic has the loosest gun laws in Europe.

Pericles
12-14-2011, 07:17 PM
I think the Czech Republic has the loosest gun laws in Europe.

can't have automatic weapons or machine guns anymore :( Still have to have the form and background check done to buy.

Echoes
12-14-2011, 07:19 PM
The loosest gun laws are in Balkan countries like Montenegro and Albania. The latter i believe has 'no laws'.

The_Ruffneck
12-15-2011, 05:23 AM
If anyone is considering Ecuador, don't. I just spent a month there and while it is beautiful and land is cheap, there's also a lot more crime than we're used to. Everything has obnoxious alarms (houses, cars), people don't stop at red lights at night, gated communities are double-gated with multiple layers of security, and you generally don't go out alone at night. They also converted to the dollar a few years ago and many people lost a lot of money.
How is Uruguay and to a lesser extent Argentina?
I know at least as a white guy i won't stand out like a sore thumb as a "rich guy" like in South American countries that have a higher Hispanic skin colour makeup.