PDA

View Full Version : Bastiat's "The Law" has just passed Coulter's book on Amazon

sailingaway
12-07-2011, 08:46 PM
http://t.co/aSa9Gn1Y

:D

bluesc
12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
The power of Ron Paul > The power of that demon.

sailingaway
12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Well, she can be pretty funny.

bluesc
12-07-2011, 08:50 PM
While calling her a demon I didn't even notice the title of her book and the cover of it. Very fitting.

GreenBulldog
12-07-2011, 08:53 PM
All the other books lost to one that's GIVEN OUT FOR FREE (at mises.org).

VictorB
12-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Why is the price $6.66? That should be the price of Coulters book!

Original_Intent
12-07-2011, 09:09 PM
The Law is one of the greatest books ever written. However, there was a valid one star review on Amazon saying be sure to get the translation that is the one available at FEE and Mises. They quoted an excerpt from a different translation and then the same passage from the other translation, and it was frankly night and day - one was beautifully expressed, the other was clunky, inelegant, and frankly did not express the idea well. If I ahd gotten the wrong translation, I would not have fallen in love with it.

The translation matters - if you recommend it, be sure you get the right one. Seven Treasures Publications is the poor translation, the Dean Russel translation is incredible. Here is the example from the Amazon review:

(from the Feb 6, 2009 edition from Seven Treasures Publications):
"Existence, faculties, assimilation - in other words, personality, liberty, property - this is man. It is of these three things that it may be said, apart from all the demagogue subtlety, that they are anterior and superior to all human legislation."

(from the Dean Russell translation):
"Life, faculties, production - in other words, individuality, liberty, property - this is man. And in spite of the cunning of artful political leaders, these three gifts from God precede all human legislation, and are superior to it."

joshnorris14
12-07-2011, 09:10 PM
People should be buying from the LvMI

cucucachu0000
12-07-2011, 09:30 PM
its 55 on politics. i just bought a copy today ive never read it and would like to read a few by bastiat.

VoluntaryAmerican
12-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Cool :) I helped propel it to #1... I bought it right after I heard Dr. Paul mentioned it, waiting for it to come in the mail.

iGGz
12-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Wow cool, Ron Paul is da shit

anaconda
12-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Price of the book on Amazon is $6.66....that can't be good...

specsaregood
12-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Price of the book on Amazon is $6.66....that can't be good...

mises.org had it for $3 yesterday.

Beorn
12-07-2011, 11:24 PM
its 55 on politics. i just bought a copy today ive never read it and would like to read a few by bastiat.

Up to 19 in Politics now.

LibertyEagle
12-07-2011, 11:25 PM
mises.org had it for $3 yesterday.

That would be an interesting comment to make on a review on Amazon. :)

specsaregood
12-07-2011, 11:29 PM
That would be an interesting comment to make on a review on Amazon. :)

yeah, but i just checked and they upped it to $6 now. :( guess they had a short term rp mention sale that ended last night.

Zarn Solen
12-08-2011, 12:46 AM
yeah, but i just checked and they upped it to $6 now. :( guess they had a short term rp mention sale that ended last night.

It's still worth the buy.

Perry
12-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Now the real question is, since Ron Pauls #1 recommended book is actually the bible(which he stated on the same tv show) how many of you who have never read it are going to go out and get it? :D

american.swan
12-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Would you like the MP3s? http://j.mp/syeNrQ

Feeding the Abscess
12-08-2011, 01:24 AM
Now the real question is, since Ron Pauls #1 recommended book is actually the bible(which he stated on the same tv show) how many of you who have never read it are going to go out and get it? :D

He said "something not religiously oriented, right?"

If he intended on saying "something other than the Bible," I'm guessing he would have said that.

He was clarifying the question. The Florida AG who asked the question responded with "it could be that if you want it to," and Ron answered with The Law.

AlexG
12-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Everything Oprah touches turns into gold? pfft screw that! Everything Ron touches turns to gold!

Perry
12-08-2011, 01:35 AM
He said "something not religiously oriented, right?"

If he intended on saying "something other than the Bible," I'm guessing he would have said that.

He was clarifying the question. The Florida AG who asked the question responded with "it could be that if you want it to," and Ron answered with The Law.

Lol... He said; "You mean, besides a particular religious book?"

All the panelists knew EXACTLY what he meant and I promise you if Ron Paul could only convince you to read ONE book it would be the bible. Believe it.

12-08-2011, 01:51 AM
That's unbelievable! #520 out of ALL BOOKS on AMAZON is nothing to sneeze at!

Wow, Ron!

Feeding the Abscess
12-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Lol... He said; "You mean, besides a particular religious book?"

All the panelists knew EXACTLY what he meant and I promise you if Ron Paul could only convince you to read ONE book it would be the bible. Believe it.

Exact transcript:

Ron - ... excluding something religiously oriented ...
AG - Could be, it could be
Ron - Well, I think that to simplify things, to get the message out... since we're talking about politics and the law... people, if they want to read a short book to really wake them up on what the law should be, they should read a book called The Law.

He probably would recommend people read the Bible (1 Samuel 1:8, for instance, or "Blessed are the Peacemakers"), but he didn't here.

LibertyEagle
12-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Ron Paul is a devout Christian. Of course, the Bible is very important to him.

Perry
12-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Exact transcript:

He probably would recommend people read the Bible (1 Samuel 1:8, for instance, or "Blessed are the Peacemakers"), but he didn't here.

As I said the panel knew EXACTLY what he was saying. Deny it if that makes you feel better but some people might think it important that Ron Paul believes the bible to be the single most important book in existence.

iGGz
12-08-2011, 04:40 PM

No way

CaptainAmerica
12-08-2011, 04:42 PM
okay so the price of the book is 6.66?really?seriously amazon???

Deborah K
12-08-2011, 04:45 PM
The Law is one of the greatest books ever written. However, there was a valid one star review on Amazon saying be sure to get the translation that is the one available at FEE and Mises. They quoted an excerpt from a different translation and then the same passage from the other translation, and it was frankly night and day - one was beautifully expressed, the other was clunky, inelegant, and frankly did not express the idea well. If I ahd gotten the wrong translation, I would not have fallen in love with it.

The translation matters - if you recommend it, be sure you get the right one. Seven Treasures Publications is the poor translation, the Dean Russel translation is incredible. Here is the example from the Amazon review:

The one from Mises uses the Seven Treasures Publications apparently: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

mczerone
12-08-2011, 05:09 PM
The one from Mises uses the Seven Treasures Publications apparently: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

That does appear to be the case: FEE published the Dean Russel translation in 1998; Mises.org uses the 7T translation for their .pdf. Has anyone ordered a copy of the book from Mises.org to see what translation it is?

After comparing a couple of sections, the .pdf isn't bad, but the Russel is better (I have a hard copy from IEA).

RabbitMan
12-08-2011, 05:10 PM

Yeah, I noticed that too. The other translation can be found for free as well, I view it as just another reason to pick it up again! Really does sum up Ron's philosophy quite well.

specsaregood
12-08-2011, 05:17 PM
That does appear to be the case: FEE published the Dean Russel translation in 1998; Mises.org uses the 7T translation for their .pdf. Has anyone ordered a copy of the book from Mises.org to see what translation it is?

I have, I'll let you know when it arrives and I'm able to check.

Crotale
12-08-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm studying French. I can't wait 'till I'm of a sufficient standard to start reading the texts of Bastiat, Say and other great classical liberals of the French liberal school. Will be VERY enriching. :D

Jingles
12-08-2011, 05:43 PM
This really demonstrates how powerful Ron Paul's words are. What other candidate could suggest a book and it suddenly hits like #1 on amazon?

Austrian Econ Disciple
12-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm studying French. I can't wait 'till I'm of a sufficient standard to start reading the texts of Bastiat, Say and other great classical liberals of the French liberal school. Will be VERY enriching. :D

Dunoyer and Comte are great. So are all the earlier contemporary liberals.

cucucachu0000
12-08-2011, 05:53 PM
it went down today in politics from 55 to 72 try pushing it i would like it atleast to be in the top 40

roho76
12-08-2011, 06:38 PM
He mentioned Alexis De Tocqueville in his Concord Monitor interview and it's #2.

Anybody read this? Is it for/against it?

olehounddog
12-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Just ordered 10 for 6.00 ea. from Mises bookstore. Plus 4.64 s&h.

Bern
12-08-2011, 06:46 PM
amazon has the Dean Russel translation too, but it's slightly more expensive at ~$78:

http://www.amazon.com/Law-Frederic-Bastiat/dp/1572460202

... Is this the entire book?

http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

Looks like it might be:

http://fee.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/thelaw-2008.pdf

airborne373
12-08-2011, 06:48 PM
great.

brandon
12-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Cool I just bought it. Also ordered Road to serfdom...haven't read that one yet. :cool:

josiahkeller
12-08-2011, 08:37 PM

(from the Feb 6, 2009 edition from Seven Treasures Publications):
"Existence, faculties, assimilation - in other words, personality, liberty, property - this is man. It is of these three things that it may be said, apart from all the demagogue subtlety, that they are anterior and superior to all human legislation."

(from the Dean Russell translation):
"Life, faculties, production - in other words, individuality, liberty, property - this is man. And in spite of the cunning of artful political leaders, these three gifts from God precede all human legislation, and are superior to it."
The Seven Treasures Publications one sounds like Ayn Rand's writing. :P

american.swan
12-08-2011, 08:45 PM
This Korean province blocks "fee.org" #facepalm

No Free Beer
12-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Wow cool, Ron Paul is da shit

hahahahha

KEEF
12-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Bought three copies, Christmas is coming up.

Dreamofunity
12-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Wtf, how can Tocqueville be only 99 cents?

I need to get a kindle.

specsaregood
12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
After comparing a couple of sections, the .pdf isn't bad, but the Russel is better (I have a hard copy from IEA).

I have, I'll let you know when it arrives and I'm able to check.

The print version from Mises.org is the 7T translation.

TRIGRHAPPY
12-13-2011, 03:57 PM
I bought it tonight. I also bought "Economics in one lesson" which is another book the good Dr has recommended in the past. I chose to purchase the hardbacks because I plan on passing them on to my children. Both can be downloaded for free and mises.org.

Tax the Fed
12-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Bastiat's masterpiece and Ron Paul's A Foreign Policy of Freedom are two books by two geniuses -

and only the latter is alive and can be POTUS !

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/fpfronpaul.jpg

heavenlyboy34
12-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Everything Oprah touches turns into gold? pfft screw that! Everything Ron touches turns to gold!
Henceforth, all mentions of The Midas Touch shall be stricken and replaced with The Ron Paul Touch. ;)

sailingaway
12-21-2011, 09:11 PM

ok this is a bummer, I can't find FEE to buy it there, can't tell if the hard back version at amazon is the right translation, and mises has a red line through the security thing at the order processing page.

And now, of course, only the right translation will do....