PDA

View Full Version : The Doomsday Industrial Complex

Rael
12-07-2011, 06:15 PM
It's about time we had a discussion about what I like to call the "Doomsday Industrial Complex". There is money to be made off of Ron Paul supporters. Too many sites and companies have popped up who use hype and fear to sell us products. It's not the products I mind (in fact, I use many of them), its the fear used to sell them.

Ironically, they use the same tactics the government uses, ones we despise. The government exaggerates or creates problems to sell their solutions to us, just like the Doomsday Industrial Complex.

Alex Jones is a great example. He will take anything that could even remotely be construed as conspiratorial, and blow it way out of proportion. Then, when you are sufficiently scared, you can conveniently buy from the many sponsors on his page, who get their best sales from people who are scared, such as companies who sell: gold, overpriced food and food storage, seeds, water filters, etc.

Alex Jones is not the only one, there are many others. Maybe you haven't noticed it because you use an adblocker of some sort. Disable your adblocker and take a look at the many "end of world" sites devoted to espousing the idea that economic collapse is imminent. They are chock full of advertisers for end of the world products.

No doubt some of you will simply attack me and say I am naive, and that I don't believe we have problems. Well, I do believe we have problems, and I have made preparations of my own. However, when someone is selling you something, their data is immediately suspect, as they are not impartial and have a vested interest in making you feel a certain way to buy their product.

The second part of this I wish to address are the many posters on this forum who are really no more than spammers for these sites. At first glance, you wouldn't know it. But look a little closer. Lots of folks around here post nothing of real substance. Most of what they post are articles from these end of the world sites, and articles full of pseudoscientific garbage used to sell dubious dietary supplements. They may have links in their signature to websites that masquerade as a legitimate news source, but are really nothing more than fancy advertisements.

There are plenty of real problems out there, and this conspiratorial crap does nothing but depress people and distract them from doing the real work that needs to be done.

AuH20
12-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Sure, there are unsavory predators profiting from the unstable environment, but to think that the present course can be continued without serious pain is foolhardy. Something has to give. This transfer of wealth via reckless fiat creation and the consolidation of wealth opportunities makes the situation untenable.

Rael
12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Sure, there are unsavory predators profiting from the unstable environment, but to think that the present course can be continued without serious pain is foolhardy. Something has to give. This transfer of wealth via reckless fiat creation and the consolidation of wealth opportunities makes the situation untenable.

I agree with you that our present course is unsustainable. I just want people to think critically and dig deeper before jumping to conclusions about these issues.

PastaRocket848
12-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Alex Jones is a great example. He will take anything that could even remotely be construed as conspiratorial, and blow it way out of proportion. Then, when you are sufficiently scared, you can conveniently buy from the many sponsors on his page, who get their best sales from people who are scared, such as companies who sell: gold, overpriced food and food storage, seeds, water filters, etc.

Finally... Someone else gets it. A real american hero, this guy...

bluesc
12-07-2011, 06:28 PM
I see this thread quicky becoming an Alex Jones bashing circlejerk.

Danke
12-07-2011, 07:42 PM
I wish I didn't listen to his types a decade ago.

I feel so bad.

http://www.kitco.com/LFgif/ag95-pres.gif

Original_Intent
12-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I wish I didn't listen to his types a decade ago.

I feel so bad.

http://www.kitco.com/LFgif/ag95-pres.gif

:D XD Well played!

pcosmar
12-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I agree with you that our present course is unsustainable. I just want people to think critically and dig deeper before jumping to conclusions about these issues.

Jumping to Conclusions?
What about years of observation and research? And coming to a logical conclusion despite wishes otherwise.?

:(

Miss Annie
12-07-2011, 08:36 PM
I really don't understand this conversation looking at the bill that the senate just pushed through the house last week. We have eyes and ears and are putting 2 and 2 together with and without Alex Jones.

donnay
12-08-2011, 12:04 AM
"We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth. For my part, I am willing to know the whole truth, to know the worst, and to prepare for it." ~Patrick Henry

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable" ~H.L.Mencken

“Let it not be said that we did nothing.” ~Ron Paul

Working Poor
12-08-2011, 03:47 AM
I don't like fear mongering no matter who is doing it. that is how we came to be so involved in wars I hate it.

John F Kennedy III
12-08-2011, 03:53 AM
I see this thread quicky becoming an Alex Jones bashing circlejerk.

Alex haters do love their circlejerks.

A Son of Liberty
12-08-2011, 04:42 AM
I don't care about Alex Jones one way or another. I listen to his show, and generally enjoy it, but he tends to over-hype things. None of his advertisers have made a penny off of me, but I have been preparing for difficult times (to put it mildly ;) ). I buy metals, but only from my local coin shop. I've bought canned/dried goods, but from my local grocery store. I bought a piece of land, but I've always wanted one anyway and would have regardless. 80 years ago, this sort of thing was common-place - preparing for "a rainy day".

I don't know for certain what's coming down the road - none of us do. I consider it possible but extremely unlikely that I could end up in some FEMA camp; I consider it a better-than-even chance that a major economic dislocation is on it's way; I consider it a better-than-even chance that government and industry ("the powers that be") would seek out a war, in that event. These are the typical things Jones hypes as inevitable, certain, and imminent.

"In the aggregate" (as Jones likes to say :) ), I'd say he's well-intentioned, if not overly enthusiastic. I think his tendency to make a "conspiracy" out of EVERYTHING is a little annoying, and distracting to those who take him as gospel.

Only one occasion have I found him to be deceitful: he runs an ad during his show where he's talking about "the Info War" "we" are engaged in with "the globalists"... he says something like, "recently, globalist insider Hillary Clinton admitted... 'we are in an Info War, and we are losing...'", as though Clinton was talking about intentionally misleading the Western public. In fact, she was referring to the campaign to win "hearts and minds" in the middle east, and that Western governments were losing that battle to al Qaeda. That was pretty clearly misleading, if not fairly harmless in my opinion, but it does make me call into question some of his methods and conclusions.

As far as people being drawn in by advertisements, well, that's a decision for each individual to make, and to bear the consequences. It's natural for "doomsday" companies to advertise on a site like Jones', both for practical AND economic reasons.

Revolution9
12-08-2011, 07:54 AM
My business partner was a typical money grubbing democrat into high flying bimbos, godless in world view and into status symbols like Rolex watches and Lexus cars etc. When he came into a wad of cash I told him to get it out of fiat currencies and into gold and silver.. He finally got the message and in investing and reading he came across all the info he ignored and would cut me off prior if I tried to speak about it. One week the light bulb went on and he sold his Lexus and bought a four wheel drive, gave away all his fancy shoes and suits and got him some Ariat stable boots and similar gear, got an AR15 and trimmed it out to the max with aftermarket parts, military solar backpack, 3 years worth of food, bought a cabin in the mountains and we moved our business up here and he reads the Bible and other spiritual works daily.

I am glad there were people giving fair warning.

Rev9

WilliamC
12-08-2011, 08:12 AM
While I agree that using fear to market products is not my idea of a good business strategy, and of course it is never right to use fear/emotion to rip people off with overpriced goods, it still might end up being a net good for more people to have some food and survival preps and to the extent that Alex Jones and Glenn Beck cause people to prepare I am for them.

I can't begin to describe how f$#@ed up my life has now become and it isn't relevant to my input here at RPFs, but at least I am grateful that I am not completely broke and in debt on top of my other problems. Had I not gotten a bit scared myself back in 2007 before the markets crashed I might be in a lot poorer financial state than I currently find myself.

donnay
12-08-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't care about Alex Jones one way or another. I listen to his show, and generally enjoy it, but he tends to over-hype things. None of his advertisers have made a penny off of me, but I have been preparing for difficult times (to put it mildly ;) ). I buy metals, but only from my local coin shop. I've bought canned/dried goods, but from my local grocery store. I bought a piece of land, but I've always wanted one anyway and would have regardless. 80 years ago, this sort of thing was common-place - preparing for "a rainy day".

I don't know for certain what's coming down the road - none of us do. I consider it possible but extremely unlikely that I could end up in some FEMA camp; I consider it a better-than-even chance that a major economic dislocation is on it's way; I consider it a better-than-even chance that government and industry ("the powers that be") would seek out a war, in that event. These are the typical things Jones hypes as inevitable, certain, and imminent.

"In the aggregate" (as Jones likes to say :) ), I'd say he's well-intentioned, if not overly enthusiastic. I think his tendency to make a "conspiracy" out of EVERYTHING is a little annoying, and distracting to those who take him as gospel.

Only one occasion have I found him to be deceitful: he runs an ad during his show where he's talking about "the Info War" "we" are engaged in with "the globalists"... he says something like, "recently, globalist insider Hillary Clinton admitted... 'we are in an Info War, and we are losing...'", as though Clinton was talking about intentionally misleading the Western public. In fact, she was referring to the campaign to win "hearts and minds" in the middle east, and that Western governments were losing that battle to al Qaeda. That was pretty clearly misleading, if not fairly harmless in my opinion, but it does make me call into question some of his methods and conclusions.

As far as people being drawn in by advertisements, well, that's a decision for each individual to make, and to bear the consequences. It's natural for "doomsday" companies to advertise on a site like Jones', both for practical AND economic reasons.

Hillary Clinton: “We Are Losing The Infowar”
Paul Joseph Watson
Infowars.com
March 3, 2011

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made a tacit admission during a U.S. Foreign Policy Priorities committee meeting yesterday, arguing that the State Department needs more money because the US military-industrial complex is “losing the information war” to the likes of Russia Today and Al Jazeera due to the US corporate media having completely abandoned “real news”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej01b46pqqc&feature=player_embedded

“We are in an information war and we are losing that war,” warned Clinton, in a bid to rustle up more money to fund propaganda to compete with foreign news media, sending a clear message that stations such as Russia Today, which regularly provides a platform to the likes of Alex Jones, Max Keiser, Wayne Madsen, Paul Craig Roberts and Webster Tarpley, are winning the infowar against the globalists.

An example of how frightened the establishment is of Russia Today occurred when adverts for the network encouraging viewers think about both sides of a story were banned by US airports last year. (http://current.com/141614c)

Clinton noted that, “The Russians have opened up an English language network. I’ve seen it in a couple of countries and it’s quite instructive,” referring to Russia Today, which is now seen all over the world and is a trailblazer in reporting hardcore subjects that the castrated US media dare not touch, such as 9/11 truth, the Bilderberg Group meetings, as well as globalist involvement in hijacking the wave of revolutions currently sweeping across the Middle East and North Africa.

While the US media remains obsessed with polarizing left-right talking head nonsense, the likes of Al Jazeera, China’s CCTV and Russia Today are “winning” and attracting more viewers because they concentrate on reporting “real news,” according to Clinton.

“You may not agree with it, but you feel like you’re getting real news around the clock instead of a million commercials and arguments between talking heads and the kind of stuff that we do on our news which is not particularly informative,” said the former First Lady.

“Al Jazeera has been the leader in literally changing people’s minds and attitudes. And like it or hate it, it is really effective,” added Clinton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mRLqlkRsMn8

“I remember having an Afghan general tell me that the only thing he thought about Americans is that all the men wrestled and the women walked around in bikinis because the only TV he ever saw was Baywatch and World Wide Wrestling,” said Clinton, acknowledging the fact that American television is now so dumbed down that it is negatively shaping international perceptions of the United States.

“Our private media, particularly cultural programming often works at counter purposes to what we truly are as Americans,” said Clinton, alluding to the fact that US television has now reached such a lowest common denominator level that it is harming the very fabric of society.

Of course, Clinton, a CFR member and a leading globalist, couldn’t care less about harming the fabric of society, but she is obviously panicked about the fact that the US corporate media is now so distrusted and disparaged that it is rapidly losing its value to the US military-industrial complex as a vehicle through which to sell wars and hoodwink the public into swallowing official explanations behind staged crises that are used to eviscerate their freedoms and livelihoods.

That’s why Clinton is railing against Republican efforts to cut the State Department budget in half, as well as using Twitter and other social media to spread US military-industrial complex propaganda via twitter feeds in Arabic and Farsi. In addition, according to a recent report by Computerworld (http://current.com/141614c), “The U.S. government contracted HBGary Federal for the development of software which could create multiple fake social media profiles to manipulate and sway public opinion on controversial issues by promoting propaganda.”

Paul Joseph Watson is the editor and writer for Prison Planet.com. He is the author of Order Out Of Chaos. Watson is also a fill-in host for The Alex Jones Show. Watson has been interviewed by many publications and radio shows, including Vanity Fair and Coast to Coast AM, America’s most listened to late night talk show.

A Son of Liberty
12-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Like I said, the commercial is misleading because it leads the listener to think that Clinton was talking about intentionally misleading the Western public...

donnay
12-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Like I said, the commercial is misleading because it leads the listener to think that Clinton was talking about intentionally misleading the Western public...

In all actuality she was-- Our media is controlled and the foreigners are not buying it. That's why Al Jazeera and Russia Today are gaining more viewers all the time.

A Son of Liberty
12-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Typically, politicians do not come right out and say, "heh, yeah, we're really trying to deceive you, but it's just not working..." right in front of a camera. I mean, it's pretty apparent that they do wish to deceive us, but deception is usually best implemented, you know, if you don't openly tell the people you're trying to deceive that you're trying to deceive them...

But I agree that RT, al Jazeera, and other alternate outlets are growing because people know the MSM is crap.

I also think Clinton's comments were a thinly veiled admission of a desire for an openly state run media outlet.

gls
12-09-2011, 03:59 AM
I agree people should always be sure to shop around. For example food storage is prudent in these times, but you're much better off going to Costco than through a website like efoodsdirect. But then again you're much better off going through efoodsdirect than not storing any food at all. So in that sense it's all relative.

Echoes
12-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Military on the streets, Fast and Furious, airport molestation, tsa patroling highways, fema camps nationwide, fiat madness, bank takeovers, corruption at every level imaginable.

but...

MOVE ALONG SHEEP, EVERYTHING's OK.

Someone should start a thread - the Willfully Ignorant Industrial Complex...starring Rael.

Echoes
12-09-2011, 04:44 AM
Oh yea, Ron Paul is a Doomsdayer too. You know, with all that dollar crisis and economic collapse talk. What a fear monger !

Rael
12-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I agree people should always be sure to shop around. For example food storage is prudent in these times, but you're much better off going to Costco than through a website like efoodsdirect. But then again you're much better off going through efoodsdirect than not storing any food at all. So in that sense it's all relative.

Exactly. Food storage should not be expensive. These food storage companies are a joke. You can stock up at costco or even walmart at a fraction of the cost of these places.

A Son of Liberty
12-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Exactly. Food storage should not be expensive. These food storage companies are a joke. You can stock up at costco or even walmart at a fraction of the cost of these places.

Careful now, Rael. The Jones fanboi's are out in force, handing out the neg-reps for daring to question - or in my case, to even insinuate hyperbole on the behalf of - Alex. ;)

Danke
12-09-2011, 08:23 PM

I have not found that to be the case on a lot of long term food storage products, like the freeze dried stuff.

Rael
12-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I have not found that to be the case on a lot of long term food storage products, like the freeze dried stuff.

Yes but why bother much with freeze dried? Canned food and dry goods can last years with proper storage. If you need something beyond that time frame, you better have a way of growing your own food instead of relying on freeze dried food.