PDA

View Full Version : Democrat says GOP trying to deny blacks the right to vote

Miss Annie
12-07-2011, 02:10 PM
What I REALLY don't understand about this is - it seems strange to accuse the GOP of targeting this particular demographic because the voter ID would likely only affect illegals. Most people already have to have a photo ID.

Democrat says GOP trying to deny blacks the right to vote
By Pete Kasperowicz - 12/07/11 12:05 PM ET
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/197809-rep-lee-says-gop-has-racist-motives-with-voter-id-laws?page=5#comments

A Democratic lawmaker said Wednesday on the House floor that Republican legislators around the country are purposefully trying to deny blacks the right to vote by pushing for voter identification laws.

“It’s no coincidence that a disproportionate number of these affected voters come from communities of color as well as the poor, the elderly and students,” said Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.), a former chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus.

“Having been born and raised in Texas, this certainly looks like a poll tax to me, which those of us remember as a way to prevent African Americans from voting. These voter ID laws have a partisan agenda: seeking to disenfranchise and deny specific populations of voters before they have the opportunity to elect their representatives in government.”

She also said the laws are meant to change election outcomes by “turning the clock back to the days of Jim Crow.”

Lee is the latest Democrat to charge that laws requiring people to show a valid ID to vote are aimed at suppressing the black vote to get better results for Republicans in the 2012 elections. Republicans including Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) have said ID laws are needed because there are several examples of voter fraud, such as the discovery that ACORN was registering non-legal voters.

Last month, Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz openly accused Republicans of trying to rig the 2012 elections by passing voter ID laws.

On Wednesday, Lee charged that the ID laws would prevent 1 in 4 blacks from voting, and 1 in 5 Hispanics and Asian Americans. She also said the laws are a return to the voter suppression that was seen in the controversial 2000 presidential election.

“I came to this floor years ago, after the stolen presidential elections in Florida and Ohio, to protest the results of those two elections that were filled with voter suppression,” she said. “It worked for Republicans before, and so legislators in 42 states in this map of shame have doubled down on these strategies to make it harder for certain communities to vote.”

Keith and stuff
12-07-2011, 04:02 PM
These laws are pretty popular with Democratic voters.

Lucille
12-07-2011, 04:43 PM
GMAFB. If I were black, I'd be pretty pissed off about the way pols and the leftist elites constantly cast black people as helpless victims. Aren't they sick of it yet?! I know at least Kevin Jackson (http://theblacksphere.net/racist-garofalo-to-the-rescue/) is:

As a black man, I love it when ignorant white women like Janeane Garofalo speak for all blacks. It’s thrilling to me that Janeane would take time out of her busy Hollyweird life to protect me and my peeps — the downtrodden, the oppressed…the lowly Negro.

For her efforts, I thank Garofalo, and anoint her Janeane Garofalo: White Chick Protector of the Lowly Negro.
[...]
I am always amazed at how well Democrats argue the tenets of racism…against themselves. The party that founded the Ku Klux Klan has the nerve to proselytize to Republicans about racism. Democrats have done nothing, repeat nothing for blacks, except to exploit blacks for Democrats’ own racist agendas.
[...]
Black people should be up in arms over the idea that Garofalo thinks we are so weak, that we cannot defend ourselves. A group of people who survived slavery and the institutionalized racism of the Democratic Party, but we need the “White Chick Protector of the Lowly Negro.”

Further we should be offended that she is meddling not for us, but for her own benefit. She thinks we are stupid enough to support her lame attempt to exploit us. Are there not real black issues on which Garofalo could have been working in the black community that could have positive impact? I doubt it, since five decades of blacks voting Democrat have fixed all of the black community’s problems.

Finally, and perhaps most absurd of all is Garofalo actually proves herself to be not only a racist, but the worst kind of racist…an ignorant racist. She obviously knows nothing about the overwhelmingly racist history of her own party, and its decimation of black people.

Black people, wake up. What you have here is a no talent racist hack arguing for you, when there is no real issue. And it doesn’t take a genius to connect the dots on this one.

Garofalo is the prototypical elitist, who believes blacks to be weak and stupid. With those perceptions of blacks, she is the perfect representative of the racist, elitist Democrat Party. How did we survive without them?

nobody's_hero
12-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm kicking myself for never having heard of Kevin Jackson. That article you posted was epic.

Pericles
12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
OTOH, Democrats seem perfectly happy with dead people voting.

J-Reg
12-07-2011, 09:57 PM
OTOH, Democrats seem perfectly happy with dead people voting. Ah! The Zombie vote! That's another demographic that Ron needs to work on getting!

kylejack
12-07-2011, 10:02 PM
What I REALLY don't understand about this is - it seems strange to accuse the GOP of targeting this particular demographic because the voter ID would likely only affect illegals. Most people already have to have a photo ID.
I don't. People who use public transportation to get to work, shop, etc. don't need a driver's license, unless they want to fly or something. There's a lot of poor Americans that don't have a car, and voter ID is ridiculous.

ShaneEnochs
12-08-2011, 08:48 AM
So what's the alternative? Showing your social security card?

Revolution9
12-08-2011, 08:59 AM

USC says it is not to be used as identification.

Rev9

Revolution9
12-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I don't. People who use public transportation to get to work, shop, etc. don't need a driver's license, unless they want to fly or something. There's a lot of poor Americans that don't have a car, and voter ID is ridiculous.

How do you cash cheques?

Rev9

juleswin
12-08-2011, 09:08 AM

I would tend to agree with u except that we have quite large illegal immigrant population in this country and with close elections, those immigrants might give the democrats just enough votes to win. Again not trying to say the republicans are the good guys but seeing things from their perspective, its easy to see why they are worried

Finally, I find the whole idea that blacks are unable or need assistance to obtain a state ID card very racist, I am black and have many black friends and I dont think any of them are without a state ID. Furthermore, if they think there is a systemic problem making it difficult for blacks to obtain an ID, then work on resolving it. Also anyone else notice how there are no statistics for the number of whites voter ID laws prevent from voting

kylejack
12-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Currently I can just show my voter registration card. Starting next year I have to show an unexpired state-issued ID. I'll have to pay to vote.

kylejack
12-08-2011, 09:09 AM
How do you cash cheques?

Well, I needed ID when I opened my bank account, but that was ten years ago. I still have an expired ID, but they won't accept that to vote.