PDA

View Full Version : December 7th Pearl Harbor 70 years ago

CaptainAmerica
12-07-2011, 01:19 PM
PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii (AP) — About 120 survivors of the Dec. 7, 1941, bombing of Pearl Harbor observed a moment of silence to commemorate the Japanese attack and the thousands who lost their lives that day 70 years ago Wednesday.

The moment of silence came just before 8 a.m., when the first Japanese planes launched their attack. The survivors were joined by Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, military leaders and civilians at a ceremony in Pearl Harbor.

Altogether 3,000 people attended the event at a site overlooking the sunken USS Arizona and the white memorial that straddles the battleship.

President Barack Obama hailed veterans of the bombing in a statement proclaiming Wednesday as "National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day."

"Their tenacity helped define the Greatest Generation and their valor fortified all who served during World War II​. As a nation, we look to December 7, 1941​, to draw strength from the example set by these patriots and to honor all who have sacrificed for our freedoms," he said.

Also this week, five ash scattering and interment ceremonies are being held for five survivors whose cremated remains are returning to Pearl Harbor after their deaths.

On Tuesday, an urn containing the ashes of Lee Soucy was placed on his battleship, the USS Utah, which is lying on its side near the place where it sank. The ashes of Vernon Olsen, who was on the Arizona during the attack, will be placed on his ship late Wednesday.

The U.S. lost 12 vessels that day, but the Arizona and the Utah are the only ones still sitting in the harbor. The attack brought the United States into World War II.

The ashes of three other survivors will be scattered in the water in separate ceremonies this week.

USS Utah survivor Gilbert Meyer said he comes back each year to see his shipmates entombed in the battleship which rests not far from where it sank off Ford Island.

Meyer, 88, recalled his ship rolling over after being hit by a torpedo and seeing Japanese planes dropping bombs. When the planes began showing machine gun fire, he knew it was time to move.

"That really got my attention so I got in the water and swam ashore," he said.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19489075

acptulsa
12-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Kind of a misnomer to call the Utah a battleship. She had been by then demoted to gunnery training ship. Certainly doesn't diminish the sacrifices made by her crew, of course.

I'm kind of glad the Oklahoma slipped her tether and sank in the deep while being towed to Diego for scrapping. Yeah, we could have used the metal about then, but the briny deep seems a more fitting end for this revolutionary battleship and her brave and unfortunate crew.

acptulsa
12-07-2011, 06:59 PM
USS Arizona, BB39. About 27,000 tons, twelve fourteen inch guns.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h57000/h57663.jpg

USS Oklahoma, BB37. About 26,000 tons, ten fourteen inch guns.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h77000/h77076.jpg

phill4paul
12-07-2011, 07:08 PM
USS Arizona, BB39. About 27,000 tons, twelve fourteen inch guns.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h57000/h57663.jpg

USS Oklahoma, BB37. About 26,000 tons, ten fourteen inch guns.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h77000/h77076.jpg

That was a 'Big Stick' ship!

acptulsa
12-07-2011, 07:19 PM
That was a 'Big Stick' ship!

They'd've sunk anything afloat--if only they could have caught it! At 22 knots, however...

Their sisters and half sisters did manage to sink an equally old Japanese dreadnought in the Surigao Straits during Leyte one night. But mostly these things were just outstanding at leveling coastal cities and enemy positions. Absolutely devastating in that role.

They wound up earning their keep.

ShaneEnochs
12-07-2011, 07:26 PM
I remember watching on the History Channel about some gigantic Japanese warship. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

awake
12-07-2011, 07:31 PM
What I find sickening about the idea of Pearl Harbor is the fact that those men who died were left like dangling bait in a larger strategy to get America into war by all means. Today legions of idiots pray for another one so that their agenda can finally be realized. Sick.

Case in point: I read an article by a fanatical environmentalist today stating very clearly that the only thing preventing their rise to power was that they did not have an 'Environmental Pearl Harbor'... and should start thinking about how to bring one about.

If the truth was told about this event the world would know these men were sacrificed for the ego and ambitions of a shallow man. Fast forward to present day and you will see the same "sacrifices" for the same kind of "men".

acptulsa
12-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I remember watching on the History Channel about some gigantic Japanese warship. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Probably the IJN Yamato and Musashi. 63,000 tons and nine 18.1" guns apiece. Awesome.

The Yamato sank a destroyer or two during Leyte. The Musashi managed to down a few aircraft. Mostly they were a waste of resources. But they were damned impressive nonetheless.

Pericles
12-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.
The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its Government and its Emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific. Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese Ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.
It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time the Japanese Government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.
The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian Islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. Very many American lives have been lost. In addition American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.
Yesterday the Japanese Government also launched an attack against Malaya. Last night Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong. Last night Japanese forces attacked Guam. Last night Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands. Last night the Japanese attacked Wake Island. This morning the Japanese attacked Midway Island.
Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.
As Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.
Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.
I believe I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again.
Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.
With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounded determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.
I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December seventh, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire."

ZanZibar
12-07-2011, 09:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6tzy-_2c-A&feature=player_embedded

ZanZibar
12-07-2011, 09:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6tzy-_2c-A&feature=player_embedded