PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a "primer" on Presidential Elections

Jamesiv1
12-06-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm 51 years old, and in my entire adult life there has been one presidential candidate that inspired me - that was H. Ross Perot. I volunteered for Ross in the very early days, and had the most fun in my life. And then, well.... things got messy.

Don't think I've even voted in maybe two or three other presidential elections... because they all just suck so bad.

But now I've got a new hero. Signed up for Phone-from-Home, got my 1st pack of RP *gear* in the mail today, went to my first meet-up, and talking to every person that will listen.

What I'm looking for is kind of a "primer" on presidential elections. What is a "caucus", a "straw poll".... what are the key states and why.... that sort of thing.

Is such a thing available?

"U.S. Politics for Dummies" might be a good title :)

Thanks!

James

P.S. a book would be nice... website would be better :)

Indiana4Paul
12-06-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm 51 years old, and in my entire adult life there has been one presidential candidate that inspired me - that was H. Ross Perot. I volunteered for Ross in the very early days, and had the most fun in my life. And then, well.... things got messy.

Don't think I've even voted in maybe two or three other presidential elections... because they all just suck so bad.

But now I've got a new hero. Signed up for Phone-from-Home, got my 1st pack of RP *gear* in the mail today, went to my first meet-up, and talking to every person that will listen.

What I'm looking for is kind of a "primer" on presidential elections. What is a "caucus", a "straw poll".... what are the key states and why.... that sort of thing.

Is such a thing available?

"U.S. Politics for Dummies" might be a good title :)

Thanks!

James

P.S. a book would be nice... website would be better :)

This is an awesome story.

I too supported Perot, but was 17 on election night.

I have voted since then, in 2008 I wrote Ron Paul's name in.

Check out this primer:
http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30527.pdf

Cheers.

12-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Welcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2012

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/

acptulsa
12-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Welcome. Good to have you aboard.

Dig around here and, perhaps on meetup.com for a local Ron Paul group, and please register Republican and get involved with your local party. This thing could come down to the convention, and we'll need you helping choose the delegates for it. Nothing like a little 'hands on' education.

Fascinating times, no?

Jamesiv1
12-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Awesome!!!

Thanks a bunch, guys. Exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers!

James

silk30
12-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I was not old enough to vote for Perot' either, but he definitely would have had my vote at the time. He was the only reason I paid attention to politics at that time and I remember being amazed at how the media treated him.

Grats on your RP gear! I just got mine in the mail today too. I bought a hoodie, a beanie, a long sleeve shirt, and a RP zippo type lighter. Love all of them, especially the beanie and hoodie. RP is the only politician ever that has inspired me to get off my butt and do something. These are exciting times! :)