PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

georgiaboy
12-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Users active in the past 24 hours
16268 Users have visited the forum. 1615 members and 14653 guests

Kluge
12-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Yep. Lots of guests during campaign season. The forum's actually source material for a lot of folks (savory or otherwise), whether they're reading articles, opinions, or snooping around.

Hard to believe we still haven't come very close to the member traffic we had last cycle.

Good to keep in mind that for every one member, there're 9 or so others quietly reading.

tremendoustie
12-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Yep. Lots of guests during campaign season. The forum's actually source material for a lot of folks (savory or otherwise), whether they're reading articles, opinions, or snooping around.

Hard to believe we still haven't come very close to the member traffic we had last cycle.

No way, as I remember it, it was only on debate or primary nights that the numbers were over 200 or so last time around. Perhaps I don't remember correctly ... but it seems to me having 450 people on here at one time in grassroots central on an average night has got to be record breaking stuff.

Kluge
12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
No way, as I remember it, it was only on debate or primary nights that the numbers were over 100 or so last time around. Perhaps I don't remember correctly ... but it seems to me having 350 people on here in grassroots central on an average night has got to be record breaking stuff.
Whoops -- meant to say "we still haven't broken the record for most members online at once from '08" :o

tremendoustie
12-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Whoops -- meant to say "we still haven't broken the record for most members online at once from '08" :o

We'll easily break that the night of the Iowa caucuses, I predict.

sailingaway
12-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Lately it has been about 15,000 but a month ago that would have been a debate day or a money bomb day. It is possible some of it has to do with Ron sending out the fundraising message.

bluesc
12-06-2011, 09:33 PM
No way, as I remember it, it was only on debate or primary nights that the numbers were over 200 or so last time around. Perhaps I don't remember correctly ... but it seems to me having 450 people on here at one time in grassroots central on an average night has got to be record breaking stuff.

Over 4000 people online on the night of the Iowa caucuses in '08. We will beat it this time.

1stAmendguy
12-06-2011, 09:34 PM
It's the new norm here.

Kluge
12-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Fun fact: RPFs derives a solid chunk of guest traffic from folks searching "best place to buy silver" on Google.

Matthew Zak
12-06-2011, 09:39 PM

Give it about 9 days and a couple hours. ;)

1stAmendguy
12-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Fun fact: RPFs derives a solid chunk of guest traffic from folks searching "best place to buy silver" on Google.

Wow I just googled that, "best place to buy silver" and two hits from the RP grassroots community are on the first page of the results. A DP post and a RPF post.

Kluge
12-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Wow I just googled that, "best place to buy silver" and two hits from the RP grassroots community are on the first page of the results. A DP post and a RPF post.
May sound convoluted, but one of the best ways to grow this site could be to turn it into an "everything" site instead of just a political site dedicated to RP. It makes every post about Ron Paul that much more powerful, as RPFs becomes more favored in Google search results, and folks come to RPFs for unrelated matters.

It's why RPFs is a fantastic place to talk about local candidates rather than a local forum. It's easy for an RPFs thread to become the first result for information on local candidates and why I think it'd be a great tool we should be more seriously considering. If a local candidate has no web presence, a post on RPFs about him or the election in general becomes the web presence. It could be very powerful.

Eleutheros
12-06-2011, 10:46 PM
May sound convoluted, but one of the best ways to grow this site could be to turn it into an "everything" site instead of just a political site dedicated to RP. It makes every post about Ron Paul that much more powerful, as RPFs becomes more favored in Google search results, and folks come to RPFs for unrelated matters.

It's why RPFs is a fantastic place to talk about local candidates rather than a local forum. It's easy for an RPFs thread to become the first result for information on local candidates and why I think it'd be a great tool we should be more seriously considering. If a local candidate has no web presence, a post on RPFs about him or the election in general becomes the web presence. It could be very powerful.

+rep for the great suggestion

You should run your suggestion by the forum mods/administrators. Back in '08 it was decided that whether Ron wins or loses the primary/general election, that the site would remain to discuss issues relating to Ron Paul's principles which is why the subname for the forum is called "Liberty Forest".

So if you need someone to "sponsor" your suggestion, I'll be glad to do it.

tremendoustie
12-06-2011, 10:52 PM

Good idea! (for after the election of course)

Just as the site became liberty forest after the last election, I think this is a great direction to go.

Perry
12-06-2011, 10:55 PM
I remember I used to complain to the mods about the servers during the moneybombs.:D Not only was it a fantastic amount of traffic but everyone was constantly refreshing the server and doing searches so those had to be closed down constantly. Moneybombs are not what they once were but Just wait until Iowa and New Hampshire.

seraphson
12-06-2011, 10:58 PM

Silver is actually what linked me into RP and inevitably these forums as well.

Fermli
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM

Yes, this is a great idea. The same thing happened at the twoplustwo forums (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com)(the most popular poker forum). It kept growing and it morphed into a site that has discussions on all aspects of poker, as well as everything else under the sun (current events, politics, business, sports, etc). It's now in the top 30 most popular forums (http://rankings.big-boards.com/?p=all) on the internet. It's still mostly focused on poker, but poker players enjoy discussing other topics with similar minded people. The same thing will happen as the liberty movement grows.

Kluge
12-06-2011, 11:43 PM
Another way of looking at it is that we're all content creators. In many sites, that created content is so important, they pay a decent sum of money for their writers. The quality of our content, and the popularity of our subject is important to consider, and it may be worth someone's time to think about and write specifically to attract people to RPFs who wouldn't otherwise interested.

Aside from the thread on where to buy silver, the thread on home-made weapons is exceptionally popular with non-members and brings in a lot of guest traffic. Coincidentally, people who like guns, critical thinking, and DIY projects tend to be receptive to Ron Paul's message. That thread on home-made weapons is an incredible asset to this forum, Ron Paul, liberty, as well as all users here and their messages.

... I think the Off Topic subforum should be made public. If there's something questionable, just shove it on over to Hot Topics. I think that'd be very favorable for RPFs and everything/everyone else I've mentioned.

bluesc
12-06-2011, 11:46 PM

I approve of this idea. The more local the candidates are, and the bigger this site is, the more significance we have in the process. Once Ron is in the White House, we will need local liberty lovers too..

georgiaboy
12-07-2011, 10:57 AM

case in point - RPF's own Glen Bradley.

I definitely agree with this. I want to be an informed voter, and I've realized the need to not only know the top of the ticket, but all the way down ballot as well, and the local candidates are very difficult to vet due to lack of readily available information.

GunnyFreedom
12-07-2011, 11:02 AM

I am convinced that RPF's is the reason why I pwn the 1st page of Google on a name search.