PDA

View Full Version : VICTORY: Face to Face, Door to Door

InTheoryTV
11-07-2007, 10:46 AM
This is important:

I have a suggestion. Don't wait for the media to make Ron Paul their darling. We can't be ignored, but don't count on the MSM to get the whole story right. Move forward and get people together and go and knock on your neighbors' doors.

I went out this past Saturday for 5 hours and went door to door. I had some voter data registration information (extra room on the page to capture data), a pen, a list of my questions. I would knock on the door and if no one was home I would leave a Slim Jim that had a hole punched in it and was connected to a rubber band. Each Slim Jim I had was stapled with a piece of paper that had a Ron Paul supporter's contact information on it. This supporter lived in the precinct in which we were canvasing. If a person answered, I said my name and that I was a neighbor, and I was asking questions about the 2008 Presidential race, and the primaries that proceed it. I didn't say I was for Ron Paul straight up. What I was doing with some others was looking for potential Ron Paul voters. I live in live in Colorado which is a caucus state.

I confirmed their information, and first asked them who they would vote for today. I then asked next what 3 issues are important to them. Finally I asked if they were for or against the US war in Iraq.

With that information I decided on whether to mention Ron Paul to them and give a slim jim. If they are pro war Guilana types, I would thank them for their time and move on. You don't want to motivate your direct competition. If they were democrats, I would give them a slim jim and the pitch - if they are Democrats and are not going to switch then they can't hurt you in the primary. Some states you don't need to be registered to vote in the primaries, so vary your strategies accordingly.

Almost everyone was friendly and it was a fun and positive experience. I got 6 good leads who said it was ok for me to email and call them before the caucus and that they were now going to be supporting Ron Paul. Of those 6, 3 were registered as Democrats and asked to have someone come to their house to chance affiliation. I say a party isn't a tattoo, it's like a badge, that you are not stuck with forever.

Typically in my town in the past only 15 people show up in each precinct at the Republican caucus. So getting 6 good leads is good for that precinct. Most people haven't heard of Ron Paul, and those that have, don't have all the correct information.

Now we donated our money, now is the time to donate our time.

It is out of one's comfort zone to knock on doors. It was hard for me. But once I did it, I found it was fun, and I could see that I was making a difference.

However I have a problem and I suspect others who are trying this now to do. Of the 90 people in the meetup group I'm in, only 3 people went out last Saturday. This isn't going to cut it.

I know its important to get face to face with people, but I don't know how to motivate other Ron Paul supporters to do the same. Any advice from those that have had success? Let's post some good ideas here to get people motivated. If you have had success on canvasing, please share!

As Ron Paul wrote today in an email to us , "What momentum we have! Please help me keep it up. As you and I know, and our opponents are only suspecting, we have Success on our minds, and in our hearts."

Hope
11-07-2007, 10:52 AM
If you thought they might be receptive to RP, how did you make the transition from "I'm just here to ask a few questions about polling data" to "Here's the candidate I think you should vote for"? I'm trying to figure out how to do this effectively, myself!

Brinck Slattery
11-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Face to Face is the way to convert people. Signs are good for piquing interest, but knocking on doors is what really educates people, and puts a friendly face on a nebulous and, to some people scary, campaign.

newmedia4ron
11-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Pitching Ron Paul 101 (http://bhday.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/pitching-ron-paul/)

InTheoryTV
11-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Hope:

If you thought they might be receptive to RP, how did you make the transition from "I'm just here to ask a few questions about polling data" to "Here's the candidate I think you should vote for"? I'm trying to figure out how to do this effectively, myself!

First off:

At the beginning of the conversation I would smile and say "Hi, my name is ______. I'm helping out your neighbor (whoever your Meetup Group's RP fan who lives in the precinct) gather some information about the 2008 Presidential Race and the primaries that precede it." Now I thought that many people would ask why I was doing it, but they didn't. I was asked by two people out of the 40 plus people I talked to that day, why I wanted the information, and to those I said that I was supporting a particular candidate and was gathering data for the upcoming primary race, only one asked who I was supporting and I said Ron Paul, and proceeded at that point with the RP pitch. Now I wasn't acting like I didn't want to answer their questions all sneaky like. I just didn't volunteer the information.

As to the transition from gathering to Ron Paul:

If I determined that I wasn't going to pitch Ron Paul, I would smile and thank them for their time and move on.

If I decided to pitch Ron Paul. I would reach back into my back pocket in my jeans and grab a Ron Paul slim jim and hand it to them as I said, "Well the candidate that I like is Ron Paul..." I would introduce him and that he was running as a Republican, and pitch Ron Paul's ideas first that match what the person told me was important to them: war, immigration, taxes, etc.

I had many people beyond the 6 I mentioned in my first post, who were interested, but were not committed enough to give me the ok to contact them again and say they were going to support Ron Paul. It was fun seeing people's mind's work as we talked about how the two party system and lobbyist have been taking us for a ride.

After every contact I would rate the person on a scale of 1 to 5. 1 being the lowest, 3 being some what receptive of Ron Paul, a 4 is someone who wants to research more and said it was ok to contact and will probably vote with you, and a 5 being a person you think that will join you in actively promoting Paul. We are keeping this info to recontact the 4 and 5s.

Ozwest
11-07-2007, 11:18 AM
You are a Champion for Ron Paul! Thank you for your effort.

InTheoryTV
11-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Anybody have success stories? About converting their Meetup group members into canvasing Ron Paul walkers?

Hope
11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Pitching Ron Paul 101 (http://bhday.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/pitching-ron-paul/)

Hey! I was at the NC State Fair and saw their booth. :) Cool stuff, thanks for the link.

me3
11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
If you have 3 people in your MeetUp (for example) who have done this work and are willing to go out again, schedule a MeetUp event, and pair them with a new canvasser. It's always easier to be led the first time out, and in a couple weeks, you should be able to expand the program as more people are experienced.

Think incrementally.

Hope
11-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Hope:
First off:

At the beginning of the conversation I would smile and say "Hi, my name is ______. I'm helping out your neighbor (whoever your Meetup Group's RP fan who lives in the precinct) gather some information about the 2008 Presidential Race and the primaries that precede it." Now I thought that many people would ask why I was doing it, but they didn't. I was asked by two people out of the 40 plus people I talked to that day, why I wanted the information, and to those I said that I was supporting a particular candidate and was gathering data for the upcoming primary race, only one asked who I was supporting and I said Ron Paul, and proceeded at that point with the RP pitch. Now I wasn't acting like I didn't want to answer their questions all sneaky like. I just didn't volunteer the information.

As to the transition from gathering to Ron Paul:

If I determined that I wasn't going to pitch Ron Paul, I would smile and thank them for their time and move on.

If I decided to pitch Ron Paul. I would reach back into my back pocket in my jeans and grab a Ron Paul slim jim and hand it to them as I said, "Well the candidate that I like is Ron Paul..." I would introduce him and that he was running as a Republican, and pitch Ron Paul's ideas first that match what the person told me was important to them: war, immigration, taxes, etc.

I had many people beyond the 6 I mentioned in my first post, who were interested, but were not committed enough to give me the ok to contact them again and say they were going to support Ron Paul. It was fun seeing people's mind's work as we talked about how the two party system and lobbyist have been taking us for a ride.

After every contact I would rate the person on a scale of 1 to 5. 1 being the lowest, 3 being some what receptive of Ron Paul, a 4 is someone who wants to research more and said it was ok to contact and will probably vote with you, and a 5 being a person you think that will join you in actively promoting Paul. We are keeping this info to recontact the 4 and 5s.

Thanks! That's really helpful. I'd also like to ask, if people answered that their three top issues were, say... "Healthcare, immigration and abortion," did you ask them to be more specific so that you'd know whether they wanted universal healthcare, whether they wanted amnesty or were against illegal immigration, and whether they were pro-life or pro-choice, etc.?

Hope
11-07-2007, 01:27 PM
bumped or importance

ronpaulfan
11-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I've been pimping the "go door to door with your laptop" thing. Almost all of my videos has something in there about it :)

InTheoryTV
11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Hope:

Thanks! That's really helpful. I'd also like to ask, if people answered that their three top issues were, say... "Healthcare, immigration and abortion," did you ask them to be more specific so that you'd know whether they wanted universal healthcare, whether they wanted amnesty or were against illegal immigration, and whether they were pro-life or pro-choice, etc.?

No I didn't ask. I kind of judged them by how they said what was important, but I think I should of asked more details. I will do it next time I go out (soon). I just got a pocket PC with excel on it. I'm going to use that next time I go canvasing and I'll load up some video and speeches on it to share with people if they are interested.

katao
11-07-2007, 02:02 PM
This is SO important for Ron Paul to win. Please go out and do this in your precinct, and take along other Meetup members to see how easy it is once you get the hang of it.

InTheoryTV
11-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Another point. Don't go out wearing your Ron Paul shirt (no matter how cool it is).

jake
11-07-2007, 02:50 PM
I've been pimping the "go door to door with your laptop" thing. Almost all of my videos has something in there about it :)

good idea, you could create separate folders for videos on particular issues (ie: a health care folder, social security, foreign policy, taxes, etc. etc.) it would also probably be wise to show them the "Ron Paul: A New Hope" video BEFORE showing the 3 specific "issues of their choice" videos.

jake
11-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Another point. Don't go out wearing your Ron Paul shirt (no matter how cool it is).

:) this important. just dress casually and be honest and sincere. people do not appreciate "fanatics" of any kind

InTheoryTV
11-07-2007, 03:29 PM
I like the different folder bit for the videos. I think a New Hope is too long for this though. Maybe on the 5s it would be worth it.

But time is also an issue. We were trying to spend 5 minutes on everybody because time is so short and we have only a few people trying to cover so much.

InTheoryTV
11-07-2007, 06:06 PM
bump

ronpaulfan
11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
bump

ronpaulfan
11-07-2007, 07:10 PM
This Saturday is the BEST day to go door to door! You can tell them about how much money was raised on Monday and gauge how many people heard about it!!!

Don't forget to order Slim Jims if you don't have any!! http://www.ronpaul2008store.com/servlet/Categories?category=Slim+Jims

RobS
11-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I was running into the same problem with "my" Meetup group. We had 3-4 dedicated people. We had supplies. We had coordination. We just needed more people to go door to door.

For this past Saturday I sent out an email on Thursday urging people to come out and help, that it would be a fun experience, and that we would pair people up so you wouldn't feel like a loner. I stressed how important it was to get literature into people's hands.

We ended up getting 13-14 people to come out! We ended up canvassing over 1,000 houses, it was impressive and very up lifting for me to see.

Now that we have a solid base down of people who are willing to go door to door, we are getting the slim jims and literature ready to go and giving it to anyone who is willing to go door to door in their own community. We have had 8 people sign up for that already.

Oh, one thing I forgot, I stressed for people to at least go to the Meetup site and RSVP yes OR no, I think this made people feel bad and guilt tripped them into RSVPing yes : )

jpa
11-07-2007, 07:55 PM
this is the key to victory.. Not the MSM and soundbites, but grassroots door to door campaigning!

Hope
11-07-2007, 09:06 PM
This is all really good to hear. We'll have to try this stuff out here!

Nefertiti
11-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Agreed-Here's why for the unconvinced:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=33806

InTheoryTV
11-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey RobS I like the idea about asking people to RSVP yes or no.

In fact I like all the ideas about motivating Ron Paul fans to get out of their comfort zone and knock on doors. On Friday I will take the ideas in this thread and put it all together in a blog post at www.intheory.tv . So keep the ideas a coming!

newmedia4ron
11-14-2007, 11:26 PM

Tidewise
11-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks InTheory - this is one of the best, most substantive and motivating posts I have seen on RPF for awhile. I am not a shy guy at all, but I am really hesitant to go knocking on doors. Your post showed the way; plus I am sure it will be fun!

vertesc
11-15-2007, 12:14 AM
this sort of face to face work is VITAL. It seems out of the comfort zone for a lot of people, but once you try it you realize how easy it really is. Last week was election day in cincinnati. I went to a polling place, and handed out 40 hand printed leaflets about Paul (couldn't afford to print more!)... And talked to lots of voters. This stuff is actually quite easy once you try it - as long as you bring a warm set of mittens for a cold day!

krott5333
11-15-2007, 12:29 AM
thank you for this thread.

I bookmarked it, I'll be going out door to door on saturday!

newmedia4ron
12-11-2007, 05:20 AM
bump

Hope
12-11-2007, 05:49 AM
I created a Voter Evaluation Form to use for my area based on the feedback from this thread! You can download the PDF here (http://files.meetup.com/549818/Voter%20Evaluation.pdf). Let me know if you want a copy with your state's information at the bottom.

This method really, really works. I don't spend more than fifteen seconds with people who wouldn't be receptive to the message, and I have enough info on the people who are on the fence with RP that I can go back later and push RP a second time!

Hope
12-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Oh, and I've been printing the sheets out in black and white to save ink. D'oh.

InTheoryTV
12-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks Hope. I downloaded the PDF and will bring it to our meetup tomorrow.

Also I live in Colorado and the temperature has been around 10 degrees as of late. Have been focusing on calling Republicans in my precinct to find Ron Paul supporters to show up to the February 5th caucus here.