PDA

View Full Version : China to Cancel College Majors That Don’t Pay

RonPaulFanInGA
12-06-2011, 10:08 AM
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2011/11/23/china-to-cancel-college-majors-that-dont-pay/

Much like the U.S., China is aiming to address a problematic demographic that has recently emerged: a generation of jobless graduates. China’s solution to that problem, however, has some in the country scratching their heads.

China’s Ministry of Education announced this week plans to phase out majors producing unemployable graduates, according to state-run media Xinhua. The government will soon start evaluating college majors by their employment rates, downsizing or cutting those studies in which the employment rate for graduates falls below 60% for two consecutive years.

Philhelm
12-06-2011, 10:42 AM
I suspect that a Bachelor of Arts in Infantry will be one of the top majors, only slightly behind a Masters in Toycraft.

jtstellar
12-06-2011, 10:54 AM
doesn't that exacerbate problems in an economy desperate for structural transformations? you're basically encouraging work force dumping additional people into the market in an industry that may very well be in the process of being phased out itself.. in a competitive market you're going to put someone through education for 4 to 6 years and guarantee the industry is unchanged by the time of graduation? reason i been saying this again and again.. china has zilch culture nor history of free market and they will fall faster than they climbed.. when economics start catching up, once one leg of the stool falls they will break the other two with their own hands

youngbuck
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Yet the government’s decision to curb majors is facing resistance. Many university professors in China are unhappy with the Ministry of Education’s move, as it will likely shrink the talent pool needed for various subjects, such as biology, that are critical to the country’s aim of becoming a leader in science and technology but do not currently have a strong market demand, a report in the state-run China Daily report said.

Now I can understand the desire to graduate more engineers, mathematicians, chemists, etc., but biology is a fairly critical field IMO. How about instead getting rid of sociologists, lawyers, etc.?

libertybrewcity
12-06-2011, 02:58 PM
China is smart. If the market was allowed to work in America this would have happened voluntarily in the best interests of most universities already.

dannno
12-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Now I can understand the desire to graduate more engineers, mathematicians, chemists, etc., but biology is a fairly critical field IMO. How about instead getting rid of sociologists, lawyers, etc.?

The government employs sociologists and lawyers.

eduardo89
12-06-2011, 03:08 PM
As long as they don't touch transgender studies they should be fine.

eduardo89
12-06-2011, 03:09 PM
They're cutting biology? Rick Perry should have studied in china ;)

AFPVet
12-06-2011, 03:15 PM
China is smart. If the market was allowed to work in America this would have happened voluntarily in the best interests of most universities already.

This has been happening for awhile in some universities. Medical majors have taken over at a lot of universities which leaves a lot of programs with open slots for people who have the GIBILL and simply want to study.

VBRonPaulFan
12-06-2011, 04:00 PM
They're cutting biology? Rick Perry should have studied in china ;)

I'LL TELL YOU RIGHT NOW 3 DEGREES THAT RICK PERRY WOULD CUT. THE DEGREE OF EDUCATION, THE DEGREE OF COMMERCE, AND UHHHHHHHHHHH.....

AFPVet
12-06-2011, 04:44 PM
I'LL TELL YOU RIGHT NOW 3 DEGREES THAT RICK PERRY WOULD CUT. THE DEGREE OF EDUCATION, THE DEGREE OF COMMERCE, AND UHHHHHHHHHHH.....

LMAO +REP!

youngbuck
12-06-2011, 05:31 PM
The government employs sociologists and lawyers. Oh yea, I forgot. In that case, subsidize those degrees to no end! /s