PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like Dr. Paul is Starting to Get Covered

sifupaul
06-15-2007, 09:03 PM
The Washington Post wrote a pretty decent piece on Dr. Paul here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/15/AR2007061502428.html

angrydragon
06-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Yup. Good stuff.

CurtisLow
06-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Nice! Glad to see him in a positive light from a "Main Media" outlet.

DrStrabismus
06-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Wow, that is possibly the best article I've seen on him other than alternative media. Hopefully other widely read places will give him similar treatment.

propanes
06-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Good coverage from a newspaper that previously overlooked RP. The front of the Politics / Election section features RP too...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/politics/elections/index.html

jd603
06-15-2007, 10:02 PM
not too bad, he must have raised more than that though, he even raised $2m in his congressional run ... so I'm sure he'll raise much more.

dspectre
06-15-2007, 10:14 PM
It shows the separation of where the media is. It also shows how slow they can be to pick out trends. Yes, the Old Media is influenced by special interest. But some of the reason there is a black out is because they are just unaware of what is happening on the internet.

RebelYell
06-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Here's an e-mail trail (you can't see the first note because it was typed into the Washington Post web site directly). I'm sure he got lots of e-mails from all you good folks too, but it feels good that I might have made a small difference. :cool:

Jose,

Thank you for responding so professionally and quickly.

You might also want to check Alexa's staistics for web site hits in addition
to your other sources where it appears that Ron Paul has recently overtaken
all three of the top democratic candidates :-)

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?site0=www.hillaryclinton.com&site1=www.barackobama.com&site2=www.johnedwards.com&site3=&site4=&y=r&z=1&h=300&w=610&range=6m&size=Medium&url=www.hillaryclinton.com

I eagerly await your article on Ron Paul who is a true conservative, a
quality that the current cast of "neocons" seems to have lost.

Regards,
xxxxx
----- Original Message -----
To: "xxxxx xxxxx" <deleted>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: Message via washingtonpost.com: GOP on the internet

> Mr. Xxxxx--
>
> Thanks very much for reading the piece -- and for your note.
>
> Of course I looked at Rep. Ron Paul's numbers, but I had to think about
> the
> whole article and couldn't possibly write about all the candidates. And
> when it comes to YouTube popularity, for example, I wasn't just looking at
> the number of subscribers but also the number of views. TechPresident, a
> bipartisan group blog, has been an incredible source for me. Check this
> out: http://www.techpresident.com/youtube
>
> And, as a measure, I also looked at online fundraising numbers, in
> addition
> to the most recent data from Nielsen/Net Ratings, where Dr. Paul's
> official
> site didn't meet minimum sample-size requirements for Nielsen's analysis.
>
> I will tell you, however, that I've thinking about doing a focused piece
> on
> Dr. Paul and the Web.
>
> Please feel free to forward any other Web-related ideas my way.
>
> Regards, and again thanks,
> Jose
>
>
> Jose Antonio Vargas | Politics
> The Washington Post
> 1150 15th Street NW
> Washington, D.C. 20071
> o | 202-334-4686
> c | 202-271-6602
> http://www.joseantoniovargas.com
>

angrydragon
06-15-2007, 11:20 PM
If Jose needs more material, he can look here at this forum. He seems to be fair, that's always good.

UCFGavin
06-15-2007, 11:39 PM
email sent

LizF
06-16-2007, 01:21 AM
Yay...some positive coverage from the MSM! :)

Give me liberty
06-16-2007, 01:28 AM
that was fair and nice :)
very decent job of Washington Post.

USAFCapt
06-16-2007, 06:28 AM
thanks sent to Jose.

winston84
06-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Wow this is real surprise coming from the Washingtonpost. This is a good MSM article.

My favorite line is this
Matt Lewis, a blogger and director of operations at Townhall, a popular conservative site. "But if you think about it, the number one issue in the country today is Iraq. If you're a conservative who supports the president's war, you have nine candidates to choose from. But if you're a conservative who believes that going into Iraq was a mistake, Ron Paul is the only game in town."

angelatc
06-16-2007, 01:17 PM
It's the coverage that will get him attention. I went to about 20 bookstores to find a copy of the "American Conservative" that featured him. If the papers here would feature an piece on him, I would buy it.

The Nielson system is outdated, and "Jericho" illustrates that. This campaign also supports the theory that the old folks running the traditional media haven't figured out how to integrate all this technology. I doubt that Rudy has supporters devoted to scrounging out soundbites of every word the man utters.

When publishers figure out that printing Ron Paul articles drives sales, then they will print Ron Paul articles. Bloggers were pretty quick to discover that mentioning his name brought flocks of traffic to their site.

*edited to add: I also have "Ron Paul" searches set up on Google and Yahoo news. If the media know that we're searching for news on Ron Paul, eventually they'll provide it, because their primary obligations is to the shareholders to drive revenue from advertisers. Revenue is driven by the viewers they can attract.

angelatc
06-16-2007, 01:26 PM
The culprits: Paul's growing number of supporters, some of whom posted Anuzis's e-mail address and office phone number on their blogs.

Culprits? That information was on the party's website.

ADGettis
06-16-2007, 06:43 PM
If the media know that we're searching for news on Ron Paul, eventually they'll provide it, because their primary obligations is to the shareholders to drive revenue from advertisers. Revenue is driven by the viewers they can attract.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile for each of us to click on a few ads every time we read a Ron Paul article. Does anybody know if they keep track of ad clicks per article? If the media saw that an article mentioning Ron Paul was more profitable than one without, it could entice them to drop his name more often.

LibertyCzar
06-16-2007, 08:59 PM
How many other candidates were on the Colbert Report, Tucker Carlson, and ITT, and had articles done by USA TODAY and the Washington Post? Not many, if at all. It appears Ron Paul is getting attention. But just wait until the second quarter numbers are made public. Because we all know that money talks.

Have you noticed that everyone that interviews Ron Paul now seems to admire him? It's amazing. :D

DrStrabismus
06-16-2007, 09:22 PM
guerrilla admin bump.

cujothekitten
06-16-2007, 09:30 PM
I wonder if it would be worthwhile for each of us to click on a few ads every time we read a Ron Paul article. Does anybody know if they keep track of ad clicks per article? If the media saw that an article mentioning Ron Paul was more profitable than one without, it could entice them to drop his name more often.

Yeah it would be great to do that. The way advertising is on the net they could be getting money per impression (just from people clicking on the page that has an ad), per click of the ad, and a commission of sales if one is made from the click. Just viewing a page with advertising will make the person a little money clicking an ad is even better.