PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Hagel says U.S. draft may be unavoidable

johngr
11-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Sen. Hagel says U.S. draft may be unavoidable
LESLIE REED
OMAHA WORLD-HERALD
Wednesday November 7, 2007
LINCOLN — Sen. Chuck Hagel, speaking to audience of Lincoln High School students, warned Tuesday that the nation may need to turn to compulsory military service "or some kind of draft" to support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Questioned after his speech, Hagel, R-Neb., said he is not calling for reinstatement of the military draft.
But he said the growing difficulty of maintaining an adequate volunteer military force is "a reality."
"I'm just stating the obvious. At some point we're going to have to make a decision on how to attract a quality force," he said.

Hagel, a Vietnam veteran and Purple Heart recipient, spoke to more than 120 government and history students as part of a project to have veterans speak to students about their experiences.
The U.S. military draft ended in 1973, part of the bitter reaction to the Vietnam War.

Full article here. (http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10177959)

Richie
11-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Good luck putting that in place. Support for the war in Iraq is now a minority. There would be some serious blowback to forcing us overseas... I hope.

pcosmar
11-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Didn't he try this a few years ago, only to vote against it when a vote was forced.
I'll see if I can find it, it seems familiar.

klamath
11-07-2007, 10:57 AM
As much as I hate the draft, I wish they would do it. Right now the politicians pushing this war are intentionally keeping the burden of fighting it on one small group of families. If they are making only 1/2% of of the population fight it that is no risk to them politically. When all of the average voters are worried about when their kids or grandkids will get sucked into the war machine they might pay attention to the one candidate that means it when he says he will get out us out of the middle east.

Meatwasp
11-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Come on you younguns ,work ,work on your age group that can vote . Tell those about a supposed draft. That should get them moving.

pcosmar
11-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Yup 2004, this is nothing new.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38139

olehounddog
11-07-2007, 11:04 AM
They just don't get it. If this was a just war, the recruitment offices would be mobbed by patriotic Americans trying to join up.
The only thing left to do is to just march right back out

james1906
11-07-2007, 11:20 AM
They just don't get it. If this was a just war, the recruitment offices would be mobbed by patriotic Americans trying to join up.
The only thing left to do is to just march right back out

Right, in WWII, teenagers were lying about their age to enlist. A just war will have volunteers.

freelance
11-07-2007, 11:24 AM
GOOD! I'm glad they're talking about a draft. That ought to wake up some people--REAL QUICK LIKE! Oh my, draft candidates on one side, RP on the other. It can only help the campaign.

richard1984
11-07-2007, 11:36 AM
GOOD! I'm glad they're talking about a draft. That ought to wake up some people--REAL QUICK LIKE! Oh my, draft candidates on one side, RP on the other. It can only help the campaign.

True.

Ha. Yeah...I dare them to try to draft me. I have my own ideas of what it means to protect our country, and it definitely doesn't involve leaving it. I'll protect my loved ones to the death, and if I think that they are threatened I'll be the first one to start fighting. But today our biggest threat is the government.
Besides, I really don't see how they could have a draft for this war. I mean good Lord...the vast majority of Americans that they would try to draft do not support this war, so how in the world do they think they'd get us to go fight in it?! :mad:

Idiots....
I dare them to try it.... :rolleyes:

Mortikhi
11-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Start the draft and you will start a war in this country.
This generation isnt a bunch of peacenik flower-loving hippies.

johngr
11-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Talking up the draft plays right into Ron Paul's hand. I wonder if that's what Hagel's trying to do here. I think we need more such talk. The staunchest "fight them Islamofascists over there..." idiot neocon parrot will change his tune when it's his son they want for cannon fodder.

Marshall
11-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Talking up the draft plays right into Ron Paul's hand. I wonder if that's what Hagel's trying to do here. I think we need more such talk. The staunchest "fight them Islamofascists over there..." idiot neocon parrot will change his tune when it's his son they want for cannon fodder.

Or conversely, when they start drafting all the chickenhawk young republican club types.

Dorfsmith
11-07-2007, 01:26 PM

Out of curiosity, has Hagel endorsed anybody?

fluoridatedbrainsoup
11-07-2007, 03:18 PM
A draft would be the best thing we could hope for - there would be immense blow back and I bet it would be plenty enough to end these insane wars.

cindy25
11-08-2007, 11:51 PM
it could easily pass the House in 2009; I predict the next speaker will be Rahm Emmanuel, and its in his book that his plan for America includes a draft.
HRC has long supported universal national service.

it will only be a RP veto that can stop a draft

Pete
11-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Why draft when you can print money and hire Blackwater goons?

seapilot
11-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Right on Pete! We can draft the diehard neocons first and bring the volunteers back, Cheny is good with a shotgun!

american.swan
11-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Good luck putting that in place. Support for the war in Iraq is now a minority. There would be some serious blowback to forcing us overseas... I hope.

+1

cindy25
11-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Chaney is only good with a shotgun with innocent ducks. he has never shot at anything that fires back

wisconsinite
11-09-2007, 03:45 AM
Why do they need a draft?

There's tens of thousands of available soldiers in Japan, Korea, Germany etc. who aren't doing anything of critical importance at the moment.

Electric Church
11-09-2007, 03:47 AM
Why draft when you can print money and hire Blackwater goons?

Soon they may have to pay Blackwater in euros

enjerth
11-09-2007, 08:12 AM
I am perpetually disgusted with my senator Chuck Hagel. I believe many here feel that way.

Rest assured, he will not be reelected.