PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Game Could Impact GOP in Iowa

12-05-2011, 11:31 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/bowl-game-could-impact-gop-iowa-190136557.html

As if college football doesn't already generate enough controversy - between arguments about who should play in the championship bowl game to the recent child sexual abuse scandal at Penn State - it may impact the GOP presidential election. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich's supporters are more likely to be college football fans than those of rivals Mitt Romney or Ron Paul, according to the latest NBC/Marist poll. Overall, about half of likely Iowa Republican caucus-goers say they avidly watch college football.

Strategists have long argued the key to winning Iowa is turning out supporters, so while the scheduling of the Sugar Bowl for Jan 3 on the same night as the Iowa caucus may only affect a few Iowans' decision on whether or not to participate, it could still make a difference.

This might be worth something. Ron supporters are way more hardcore. Those who answered for others in the polls might stay home and watch football especially if the weather is bad.

Stupified
12-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Personally I'm hoping there's a damn blizzard.

Fermli
12-05-2011, 11:36 PM
not a big issue unless I'm missing something.

The bowl game on Jan 3 is Michigan vs Virginia Tech in New Orleans on ESPN. Only hardcore football fans in Iowa will be watching.

12-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Anything that might draw from the others support is good.

A blizzard is a win.

DavidScott
12-05-2011, 11:41 PM
If there is a blizzard during the caucus and Ron wins, the media will discount his victory. I can see it already:
"Paul's rabid fans endure blizzard in order to stuff Iowa ballot boxes"

Son of Detroit
This won't matter one bit.

Iowa has no stake in the game, it's Michigan (my school, go blue!) Vs. Virginia Tech. And the game is at 8:00 PM, when the voting will already be done.

It'll create an interesting night for me though. I'll be dividing my attention between the game and Iowa results. I think my butt will be firmly planted in my chair from 8:00 until I go to bed. Following results on my laptop, watching the game on TV.

pauladin

the blizzard is going to be us!

Agorism
12-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Young college voters are our base though.

joshnorris14
12-05-2011, 11:44 PM
I'll be watching the Sugar Bowl, but it's not that big of a game this year.

opinionatedfool
12-05-2011, 11:46 PM

"Lord please let there be a huge blizzard and a really close bowl game."

VoluntaryAmerican
12-05-2011, 11:47 PM

Annual Weather Summary: November 2011 to October 2012
Winter temperatures will be above normal, on average, with below-normal precipitation and snowfall. The coldest periods will be in mid- and late December, mid-January, and mid-February. The snowiest periods will be in mid-December, late February, and early March.

http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/region/us/10

Son of Detroit
12-05-2011, 11:47 PM
I'll be watching the Sugar Bowl, but it's not that big of a game this year.

Bite your tongue!

:)

opinionatedfool
12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
not a big issue unless I'm missing something.

The bowl game on Jan 3 is Michigan vs Virginia Tech in New Orleans on ESPN. Only hardcore football fans in Iowa will be watching.

Gosh darn it! And I had my hopes up!

Aratus
12-05-2011, 11:50 PM
"Lord please let there be a huge blizzard and a really close bowl game." this

freefromchains
12-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Who will watch the Sugar Bowl? More like the Fraud Bowl. An undeserving Michigan team versus the most undeserving BCS team in the history Virginia Tech. BCS is a fraud.