PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever unknowningly "converted" someone?

Jingles
12-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I apparently did. I don't really like to use the term "converted", but convinced someone to support the ideas of liberty and etc... takes to long to say/type.

So a couple of months ago someone I knew (not very well) from highschool posted on facebook something about how the great depression was ended by World war II (it stemmed from some general rant about politics he posted, but I don't remember what it was. It was typical Republican viewpoints). So I began refuting his points and posting links to articles from mises.org and lewrockwell.com on the subject and etc... but it didn't really go anywhere considering he didn't end up agreeing. I never really talked to him much in the first place and didn't really talk to him after that.

A couple of days ago I suddenly see him posting all these videos criticizing the fed, our foreign policy, and that senate amendment Rand Paul fought against arguing our case. About an hour ago he messaged me asking me for all my viewpoints on what is going on politically and agreeing with everything I was saying, asking for more information, and said he was now supporting Ron Paul for president. He told me about how he read the articles and became more interested in the sites and continued reading on them and things went from there =]

I wasn't really even trying to convince him of our cause originally months ago. I was simply trying to refute that annoying point of "war cures economic problems". Unbeknownst to me I apparently planted the seed of liberty in his mind and tonight I saw the plant grow and bloom.

Ah, its a good feeling. I'll sleep well tonight. :)

affa
12-05-2011, 09:34 PM
planting seeds is, by far, the best way to change minds. goes hand in hand with leading by example.

Chibioz
12-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Great story. Sounds like he was a pretty cool guy if we was willing to read through the articles you linked for him and do some personal investigation on the subject.