PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Ad Bomb?

rpwasright
12-05-2011, 05:51 PM
I was just watching the new Big Dog ad and was thinking it would make a fantastic ad for an NFL game, then the light went on. The Super Bowl is Feb 3 this year about a month before Super Tuesday. It would be awesome to run that ad or one similar during it. A 30-second ad runs around 3 million so its not cheap but there is no bigger audience all year and I think a 2 day bomb could bring in that much.

Given it is about 2 months away we could have some kind of vote on which ad makes the cut. I think this could be huge as I know a lot of NFL fans that know next to nothing about politics and rarely even vote in the primary. What do you guys think?

zerosdontcount
12-05-2011, 05:52 PM
That would be incredible, maybe if the campaign gets a huge boost soon.

Napolitanic Wars
12-05-2011, 05:53 PM
I like it! But what do I know. Great thing to plan ahead of time but maybe we shouldn't peer too far in the future.

Okie RP fan
12-05-2011, 05:57 PM
This has been discussed.

Personally, I think it is a waste of money. While it is the most watched event in America, fans will NOT want to be seeing political ads during the game. I can't see it having very much of a positive effect, if anything. But, that is my opinion.

rpwasright
12-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Maybe even have it where user created ads could be part of the voting and in order to get a vote you have to donate a min of $20. If we don't raise enough to get a SB ad it could always just go to the campaign but I think 3 million is attainable. The SB is only after 4 primaries (IA, NH, FL, SC) so if he is still in the top tier this could put him over the top for Super Tuesday. There is no single bigger audience in TV Land then the SB so it could be huge.

trey4sports
12-05-2011, 06:01 PM
waste of money. The cost makes any political ad being run during the super bowl cost inefficient. It's a cool idea but cost is too big of a factor. Secondly, FOX wont sell national airtime during the superbowl for political ads.

CaseyJones
12-05-2011, 06:02 PM
iirc political ads are not allowed during the game anyway

Gage
12-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Is this the 30th or 40th thread about a Super Bowl ad? I forget.

rpwasright
12-05-2011, 06:03 PM
This has been discussed.

Personally, I think it is a waste of money. While it is the most watched event in America, fans will NOT want to be seeing political ads during the game. I can't see it having very much of a positive effect, if anything. But, that is my opinion.

It could. People forget what it did for Apple back in the day. It needs to be a funny ad that grabs peoples attention and makes them remember it. To much substance and a SB audiences' eyes will glaze over.

rpwasright
12-05-2011, 06:04 PM
iirc political ads are not allowed during the game anyway

Ah. Nevermind then.

Gage
12-05-2011, 06:05 PM
http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/01/fox_wont_sell_super_bowl_ads_t.php "Fox Won’t Sell Super Bowl Ads to Candidates"

lucent
12-05-2011, 06:05 PM
They should advertise before and after the game.

Okie RP fan
12-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Fox had the Super Bowl last year. I think it's NBC this year, if I am not mistaken.

Edit: Yes, NBC is hosting Super Bowl XLVI.