PDA

View Full Version : The 2 Numbers that Convert for Ron Paul

Jordan
12-05-2011, 10:41 AM
There are only two numbers you need to know to convert the electorate to Ron Paul's foreign policy.

According to a 2007 CBO report, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will cost $2.4 trillion in direct war expenses plus interest by 2017. This works out to

$7,814 for every man, woman, and child in the United States

$14,749 for US Federal Income Taxpayer

I've been using this talking point with great success.

http://i.imgur.com/OfYIr.png

Start putting this number in perspective. People lack perspective when it comes to multi-trillion dollar tallies. Here's a few suggestions:

$7,814 is enough for a family to put a child through community college.

$14,749 is a very sizable down payment on a home in many parts of the country. It's enough to buy a new car.

The amount of money we've spent on these wars could pay off American credit card debt three times over.

We need to frame the debate in terms that the American people understand. The above numbers are a great way to do just that.

We're wasting away American wealth for the national security of other countries during a time of great hardship for a great many Americans. You cannot be a fiscal conservative without supporting a reduction in our military involvement overseas.

I hope Ron Paul starts putting these numbers in perspective in the next few debates. When the American people see their "war bill," they'll be quickly converted to his foreign policy.

LibertyIn08
12-05-2011, 10:51 AM
There are only two numbers you need to know to convert the electorate to Ron Paul's foreign policy.

According to a 2007 CBO report, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will cost $2.4 trillion in direct war expenses plus interest by 2017. This works out to

$7,814 for every man, woman, and child in the United States

$14,749 for US Federal Income Taxpayer

I've been using this talking point with great success.

http://i.imgur.com/OfYIr.png

Start putting this number in perspective. People lack perspective when it comes to multi-trillion dollar tallies. Here's a few suggestions:

$7,814 is enough for a family to put a child through community college.

$14,749 is a very sizable down payment on a home in many parts of the country. It's enough to buy a new car.

The amount of money we've spent on these wars could pay off American credit card debt three times over.

We need to frame the debate in terms that the American people understand. The above numbers are a great way to do just that.

We're wasting away American wealth for the national security of other countries during a time of great hardship for a great many Americans. You cannot be a fiscal conservative without supporting a reduction in our military involvement overseas.

I hope Ron Paul starts putting these numbers in perspective in the next few debates. When the American people see their "war bill," they'll be quickly converted to his foreign policy.

Jordan is the 3rd smartest guy I know. Listen to him.

helmuth_hubener
12-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Thank you, very nice. If you believe in Big Military, you believe in Big Government. If you want small government, you have to realize that means you have to give up Big Military. You can't have a big military, which is a part of the federal government, and at the same time have a small and limited federal government. In fact, the military is the branch most equipped to break through and destroy any limits you attempt to set on its power and budget. If you were to shrink the rest of the federal government down to virtually nothing, but leave a trillion-dollar-a-year military budget, as many of the right-wingers I talk to seem to want to do, such that now 95% of the budget is going to the military, you absolutely invite a military coup. The military at that point has all the power, all the weapons, all the training, and all the money. What will stop the top general from just taking over? Will he then be obligated to follow the Constitution, or exercise *any* kind of restraint? Or will he just rule with martial law?

Sorry, I don't want to be a third-word banana republic. I don't want to have a military coup in America. Shrink the military down to a smaller, reasonable size, as you do the same to the rest of the government. Keep our freedom.

Jordan
12-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Bump. Used this today. Still works.

LibertyIn08
12-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Bump. Used this today. Still works.

I thought it had an expiry date of last week.