PDA

View Full Version : Paul should have better fundraising in California

LibertarianPoint
12-04-2011, 07:32 PM
With all the movements in California to legalize marijuana in the state, why is Paul not leading the field in Cali fundraising? Romney leads Republicans in fundraising there, and he is one of the most anti-marijuana guys out there. With a Romney administration a hope for California state sovereignty on the issue would be nonexistent. Is Paul afraid with big time donors like NORML and/or MPP that would really hurt him with social conservatives in other states? What's your thoughts?

trey4sports
12-04-2011, 07:36 PM
because a lot of big business is located in California. Most big business supports corporate candidates. The marijuana industry and other fringe movements are but a mere drop in the bucket in total money in the state. I believe Ron does raise most of his money from California though.

LibertarianPoint
12-04-2011, 07:38 PM
They may be fringe, but their ability to raise money is just as good as Pauls.

Tina
12-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I heard on the news today that he was third in fund raising there.

trey4sports
12-04-2011, 07:41 PM
They may be fringe, but their ability to raise money is just as good as Pauls.

its nothing against the movement, but the amount of money in the marijuana movement is nothing compared to the various business interests in California.

sailingaway
12-04-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm in California and I donate to Ron and marijuana figures into it not at all. You have a strange stereotype there.

ryanmkeisling
12-04-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm in California and I donate to Ron and marijuana figures into it not at all. You have a strange stereotype there.

This^ I think Romney's numbers are also due to the number of Mormons here and the fact he is a corporate shill. I think over all Paul has good support from the republicans in this state. Lets not forget the economy and unemployment play a major role in the amount of money people are able to throw around as well. Marijuana is not the major motivation of voters here...

klamath
12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
The growers do NOT want it legalized and proved it by voting against the last inititive. They like nothing better than having the government artificially hold a high sales price. They sure a hell don't want to work like a normal farmer and barely make ends meet. They want to make 100 grand tax free on a few plants a season.

ryanmkeisling
12-04-2011, 08:24 PM
The growers do NOT want it legalized and proved it by voting against the last inititive. They like nothing better than having the government artificially hold a high sales price. They sure a hell don't want to work like a normal farmer and barely make ends meet. They want to make 100 grand tax free on a few plants a season.

This is very true as I have many friends who take advantage of the black market and the outrageous pricing. I always get asked why I don't do it and my answer is always that I would rather make my money the honest way by working the land, not by taking advantage of the black market the Federal laws provide. If it were legalized the price would go from around $300/oz. to $12/oz. Klamath is right there is huge incentive to continue prohibition. It makes me sick. +rep for pointing this out.

kuckfeynes
12-04-2011, 08:26 PM
I think it's the stoners that are getting stereotyped here. Everyone assumes pot is their #1 issue.

Besides the fact that those profiting off a black market are never for legalization, for obvious reasons... There are probably just a lot of lefties.

Steppenwolf6
12-04-2011, 10:45 PM
I am in California,I donated..when i see the marijuana leaf i cringe.
The idea of drugs and hyppies personally makes me puke ,or at best gives me the goose bumps.
If I happen to walk in Venice Beach by mistake then I have to go home and take a shower as quick as i can..

My personal opinion is that for marketing/position purposes ,in regards to these primaries, we should leave the drugs issue on the side,where it belongs for now.

But that's me,just me.