PDA

View Full Version : Finalized Delegation Numbers for GOP National Convention

foofighter20x
11-07-2007, 07:22 AM
AL - 48 | CO - 46 | HI - 20 | KS - 39 | MA - 43 | MT - 24 | NM - 32 | OK - 41 | SD - 27 | VA - 63
AK - 29 | CT - 20 | ID - 32 | KY - 45 | MI - 31 | NE - 33 | NY - 101 | OR - 30 | TN - 55 | WA - 40
AZ - 53 | DE - 18 | IL - 70 | LA - 47 | MN - 41 | NV - 34 | NC - 69 | PA - 74 | TX - 140 | WV - 30
AR - 36 | FL - 57 | IN - 57 | ME - 21 | MS - 39 | NH - 12 | ND - 26 | RI - 20 | UT - 36 | WI - 40
CA - 173 | GA - 72 | IA - 40 | MD - 37 | MO - 57 | NJ - 52 | OH - 88 | SC - 24 | VT - 17 | WY - 14

DC - 19 | Federal Territories - 59

Total Delegation - 2381
Needed to Win Nomination - 1191

Bolded states have had delegations cut in half (50%, rounded up) for primary election date violation in accordance with GOP national rules.

walt
11-07-2007, 07:59 AM
why did NH get a cut?

Bradley in DC
11-07-2007, 08:04 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=296575#poststop

RULE NO. 16
Enforcement of Rules
(a) If any state or state party violates the Rules of the Republican Party relating to the timing of the selection process resulting in the election of delegates or alternate delegates to the next national convention, such state shall suffer a loss of its delegates and alternate delegates to that national convention as follows:

(1) If a state or state party violates the Rules of the Republican Party relating to the timing of the selection process resulting in the election of delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention before the call to the national convention is issued, then the number of delegates to the national convention from that state shall be reduced by fifty percent (50%), and the corresponding alternated delegates shall also be reduced.

foofighter20x
11-07-2007, 08:12 AM
why did NH get a cut?

Rule 15 (b) (http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4&Section=16)

terlinguatx
11-07-2007, 08:43 AM

Bradley in DC
11-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Because Giuliani is lagging in the polls there. It was optional really. Obviously he's the national party's choice.

Cut the conspiracy crap. The rules were explicitly set in 2004 with clearly explicit enforcement mechanisms as Foo and I have posted. NH, etc., broke the timing rule and suffered the consequences. No one is manipulating the rules to favor anyone here. Can you back up your "optional really" statement? Rudy is the clear frontrunner in FL which loses the most delegates...

AgentPaul001
11-07-2007, 11:48 AM
What really gets me is that my home state NC has a significacnt 67 delegates, but we come so late in the process we'll have very little says in whose nominated.

Perhaps with such a tight race this year we'll actually see a battle till the end.

free.alive
11-07-2007, 12:33 PM
I live in WA and we are supposed to have 49 delegates, but this says we only have 38. How can this be?

Another example is PA and OH. PA hs a greater population, yet OH has more delegates. This doesn't make any sense. What are these numbers and other changes based on? In fact, you haven't posted a link where you goth this info. Where did this come from?

Bradley in DC
11-07-2007, 12:39 PM
I live in WA and we are supposed to have 49 delegates, but this says we only have 38. How can this be?

Another example is PA and OH. PA hs a greater population, yet OH has more delegates. This doesn't make any sense. What are these numbers and other changes based on? In fact, you haven't posted a link where you got this info. Where did this come from?

There is a good thread here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=27066

Especially the rule i this post here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=296575#poststop

In it I posted the relevant RNC by-laws which are available online. And yes, Foo and I did post links.

surf
11-07-2007, 12:55 PM

we thought we'd have 40: 3 appointed, 19 primary and 18 caucus or vice-versa.
Guess we'll only deliver around 35 for Ron...

Free.alive - have you become a PCO yet? Deadline is 12/15 and we need to get the process started before then (like now). PM me if you need help here.

free.alive
11-07-2007, 01:45 PM
(Lakewood, Ft. Lewis, etc.), and only about 5-10 precincts (not mine) are open, most of which are industrial or military. My PCO is actually the leg. district leader. We live here in the the most active republican district in the state, so there is activity and plenty of resistance. I tried to become precinct captain in an adjacent precinct which was open up until recently, but after I mentioned it they must have found one of theirs to fill it.

If you are right, than even our County Councilman and the county party are wrong, because they are the ones who have put out the 49 number, 3 of which were appointed from state party leaders.

All I'm saying is that this is strange news, and I'm still not seeing the official source of these numbers.

Pete

Surf, contact me if you want

Diana
11-07-2007, 03:24 PM
I believe the number for WY is 14, not 13, with 12 of those chosen in January. I've been in touch with the GOP here, and after their meeting on Saturday they'll get back to me with the most current information. I'll update WY's info in the state section of the forums as soon as I have that.

surf
11-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Washington has 40 delegates.

3 party leaders, the National Committeeman, the National Committeewoman, and the chairman of the Washington's Republican Party, will attend the convention as unpledged delegates by virtue of their position.
37 (27 district and 10 at-large) delegates are elected by the Primary and the Caucuses.
51% (37 × 0.51 = 18.87, round to 19) of these delegates are elected by Primary.
49% (37 × 0.49 = 18.13, round to 18) of these delegates are elected by Caucus.
i posted this on the Washington thread http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=27209

free.alive - drag neighbors. the consensus seems to be that i will take as few as 2 folks, but i'd encourage rounding up 10-15. they won't know what hit 'em

foofighter20x
11-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Oh... looks like I misread part 2 of Rule 13...

Fixing it!

free.alive
11-07-2007, 04:15 PM
So Foofighter, are you making this up on your own based on existing information and a formula that the Republicans will likely use?

If so, while that's an impressive show of initiative on your part, you should really say this up front. If you are not, please cite your source.

Thanks,

Pete

foofighter20x
11-07-2007, 04:31 PM

Another example is PA and OH. PA hs a greater population, yet OH has more delegates. This doesn't make any sense. What are these numbers and other changes based on? In fact, you haven't posted a link where you goth this info. Where did this come from?

Each state gets
10 At-large
3 for state's Nat'l Committeeman and woman, and the state party chair
3x the Number of Congressional districts, (each being bound to their district)
Rules 5, 6, and 7 are based on GOP held offices, which WA doesn't qualify for any...

So:

10 + 3 + (3 x 9) = 13 + 27 = 40

foofighter20x
11-07-2007, 04:33 PM
So Foofighter, are you making this up on your own based on existing information and a formula that the Republicans will likely use?

If so, while that's an impressive show of initiative on your part, you should really say this up front. If you are not, please cite your source.

Thanks,

Pete

As said above... See the party rules, in particular Rule 13 (http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4&Section=16).

foofighter20x
11-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Can someone verify Nebraska's number for me? Their unicameral legislature is messing with my head.

malibu
11-09-2007, 11:24 AM
What really gets me is that my home state NC has a significacnt 67 delegates, but we come so late in the process we'll have very little says in whose nominated.

Perhaps with such a tight race this year we'll actually see a battle till the end.

And as a former Duke University professional staff, I say GO NC with your 67 delegates !

I think the pundits will be wrong that this is over early - it may get split up enough.

And the later states would be in a political fervor with huge importance the farther we are from a first ballot/ automatic nomination.

And don't forget, Iowa's 40 delegates - up because of a narrow Bush43 win over Kerry in the state in '04 - still designates delegates at the very end of the primary season, in early June ( and they all are un-committed delegates anyway ).

I think the later states will become even more important and could be the deciding factor if it gets split up enough early.

foofighter20x
11-09-2007, 10:01 PM
And as a former Duke University professional staff, I say GO NC with your 67 delegates !

I think the pundits will be wrong that this is over early - it may get split up enough.

And the later states would be in a political fervor with huge importance the farther we are from a first ballot/ automatic nomination.

And don't forget, Iowa's 40 delegates - up because of a narrow Bush43 win over Kerry in the state in '04 - still designates delegates at the very end of the primary season, in early June ( and they all are un-committed delegates anyway ).

I think the later states will become even more important and could be the deciding factor if it gets split up enough early.

You guys get 69 delegates :p

Wyurm
11-10-2007, 04:43 AM
Because Giuliani is lagging in the polls there. It was optional really. Obviously he's the national party's choice.

Nonsense, the DNC gave Florida the penalty of taking all their delegates away if I'm not mistaken. There is a price for these states that insist on being first.

Furis
11-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Ok guys, I know I'm new, but I've been hoping for 8 years that Ron Paul would run for President. However, I think know that the elitists that will block his nomination anyway they can if he gets serious support.

That said there is one guaranteed way for him to be the RNCs nomination. Even if he does win the states primaries the delegates ARE NOT required to vote for him, I say we do our best to get people that we know are supporters of Dr. No to be the delegates sent. If enough do get sent he can get the nomination regardless.

I know its cheap and slightly dirty (and hopefully it won't come to that) but it is legal and politics is dirty.

tsetsefly
11-10-2007, 06:42 PM
crap, I wanted to become a Texas delegate but you must be voted in and I will be an absentee voter so I cant be at the town meeting(or whatever its called) to be voted in...

Ethek
11-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Wow, KY with 45 Delegates

JosephTheLibertarian
11-11-2007, 08:17 PM
why are we so focused on NH when there's only 15 delegates?

bbachtung
11-11-2007, 08:21 PM
why are we so focused on NH when there's only 15 delegates?

Momentum-building based on timing.

foofighter20x
11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Wow, KY with 45 Delegates

Having GOP members holding state offices and having the state's electoral vote go to the party's Pres nominee gives ya a boost. :)

american.swan
11-11-2007, 11:32 PM
What was the date cut line? Did Nevada loose delegates?

AL - 48 | CO - 46 | HI - 20 | KS - 39 | MA - 43 | MT - 24 | NM - 32 | OK - 41 | SD - 27 | VA - 63
AK - 29 | CT - 20 | ID - 32 | KY - 45 | MI - 31 | NE - 33 | NY - 101 | OR - 30 | TN - 55 | WA - 40
AZ - 53 | DE - 18 | IL - 70 | LA - 47 | MN - 41 | NV - 34 | NC - 69 | PA - 74 | TX - 140 | WV - 30
AR - 36 | FL - 57 | IN - 57 | ME - 21 | MS - 39 | NH - 12 | ND - 26 | RI - 20 | UT - 36 | WI - 40
CA - 173 | GA - 72 | IA - 40 | MD - 37 | MO - 57 | NJ - 52 | OH - 88 | SC - 24 | VT - 17 | WY - 14

Total Delegation - 2381

Bolded states have had delegations cut in half (50%, rounded up) for primary election date violation in accordance with GOP national rules.

foofighter20x
11-11-2007, 11:37 PM
What was the date cut line? Did Nevada loose delegates?

Anyone holding a binding contest (one that selects actual delegates to the convention) before the first Tuesday in February (Super Tuesday) gets their delegation cut in half, remainders rounded up.

Nevada didn't lose delegates because it is only having a non-binding caucus before Super Tuesday... They won't have their binding delegate primary until later.

USPatriot36
11-12-2007, 12:13 AM

This is the delegates for the Republican party, not the general election. The party gives Ohio more delegates since they are a more republican state than Pennsylvania. People in Republican leaning states have more influence on selecting the Republican nominee than Democratic leaning states.

foofighter20x
11-12-2007, 12:25 AM

This is the delegates for the Republican party, not the general election. The party gives Ohio more delegates since they are a more republican state than Pennsylvania. People in Republican leaning states have more influence on selecting the Republican nominee than Democratic leaning states.

Like I said...

If you want to know how the numbers were determined,
See Rule 13! (http://www.gop.com/About/AboutRead.aspx?AboutType=4&Section=16)

Perry
11-12-2007, 01:02 AM
Strange. I thought Iowa was penalized to 50% as well.

foofighter20x
11-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Strange. I thought Iowa was penalized to 50% as well.

Nope... What they are having on Jan 3rd is a non-binding Caucus. Since no delegates to the convention are selected, no penalty is imposed.

denvervoipguru
11-12-2007, 01:25 AM
We really need a new website/campaign to encourage a "DELEGATE RACE".

It would be great if it could track the names of new Precinct camptains and delegates to encourage others to get moving!

foofighter20x
11-12-2007, 02:07 AM
That'd be a pretty daunting task!! :eek: Good luck with that!

justinc.1089
11-12-2007, 08:17 PM
I think that would be a good idea.

phixonpolitics
11-12-2007, 09:34 PM
I think many of us are uninitiated and unfamiliar with all this delegate stuff. The jargon, jockeying, etc. is incomprehensible to me. Why can't anyone tell us uninitiated, in easy to understand terms, what it takes to be a delegate, at what point does the campaign chose their delegate slate (what does that mean, anyway?), why delegates need to be voted for if 10% in a district guarantees a delegate, what does delegate at large mean v other types, and do we have to kiss any ass in this process, and if so, whose ass? Does each delegate have to be a citizen of his/her congressional district? What if my district has 100 eligible delegates, but the others in my state have zero? Why was I never taught this in civics class? I am 42 years old, and I didn't know there was essentially a primary electoral collage (or maybe it's even worse than that).

If it hasn't become clear yet, I'm confused and as such can be no help to RP's campaign when they ask us to please be delegates because I don't know enough to answer the call. And telling me that each state is different is not helpful. There's got to be some things that are across-the-board true.

foofighter20x
11-13-2007, 12:36 AM
I think many of us are uninitiated and unfamiliar with all this delegate stuff. The jargon, jockeying, etc. is incomprehensible to me. [1] Why can't anyone tell us uninitiated, in easy to understand terms, what it takes to be a delegate, [2] at what point does the campaign chose their delegate slate (what does that mean, anyway?), [3] why delegates need to be voted for if 10% in a district guarantees a delegate, [4] what does delegate at large mean v other types, and do we have to kiss any ass in this process, and if so, whose ass? [5] Does each delegate have to be a citizen of his/her congressional district? [6] What if my district has 100 eligible delegates, but the others in my state have zero? [7] Why was I never taught this in civics class? [8] I am 42 years old, and I didn't know there was essentially a primary electoral collage (or maybe it's even worse than that).

If it hasn't become clear yet, I'm confused and as such can be no help to RP's campaign when they ask us to please be delegates because I don't know enough to answer the call. And telling me that each state is different is not helpful. There's got to be some things that are across-the-board true.

1. The delegate selection process is usually determined by party, most typically the through the use of elections. Since it can vary so widely from state to state, the best way to find out is to contact your local GOP and get involved!

2. Candidates don't select their slates. The individual State Parties do.

3. That's not a standard rule... You might want to look into that for your state and verify if it is or not. My feeling is that it's not.

4. District delegate are bound to the election results of their Congressional districts. At-large delegate are typically bound to the state-wide election returns. And the only butt you have to kiss in these elections are those of the people voting for you.

5. State laws typically require that you are a resident of the district/state you are elected in. Again, it varies, so get involved and find out!

6. It's highly unlikely that is the case at all.

7. Because this deals the with internal funtions of political parties and not of actual government. I'm pretty sure it'd be frowned upon by almost everyone if time and tax money was spent teaching the internal functions of political parties. Which parties would be taught? Only the main two large parties? Would third parties be included? Which party rules gets taught first? What happens if the curriculum runs long and the school year ends before each party is taught?

8. I've never heard of a primary electoral college either. I'm pretty sure that one doesn't exist! :D What we are talking about here is a nominating convention, which is strictly a function of political parties and not of government.

VoteRonPaul2008
11-13-2007, 08:03 AM
on paul's website on primary info it describes the process.. does anyone know the number of delegates for Paul yet..?

foofighter20x
11-13-2007, 08:22 AM
on paul's website on primary info it describes the process.. does anyone know the number of delegates for Paul yet..?

Zero. None. Zlich. Nada.

Primaries and Caucuses for delegate selection don't start until January. :p

But, now is the time to be getting ballot petitions for delegate candidates and what not signed.

Call your local elections office (the same place you register to vote) and ask them how the GOP primaries in your state work.

VoteRonPaul2008
11-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Zero. None. Zlich. Nada.

Primaries and Caucuses for delegate selection don't start until January. :p

But, now is the time to be getting ballot petitions for delegate candidates and what not signed.

Call your local elections office (the same place you register to vote) and ask them how the GOP primaries in your state work.

Oh I see, yes we need as many delegates as possible.. thanks for the info.. I'll get started

Omnis
11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Is there a minimum age to be a delegate?

Also, should you even bother to become a delegate if you can't go to Minneapolis for the RNC?

Furis
11-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Is there a minimum age to be a delegate?

Also, should you even bother to become a delegate if you can't go to Minneapolis for the RNC?

I don't think so but it may depend on state rules.

EDIT>>>>> and by I don't think so I mean 18 (able to vote)

Edit 2>>>>> If you become an unbound delegate and support RP you damn well better be able to go the RNC, MAKE A WAY!

alien
11-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't think so but it may depend on state rules.

EDIT>>>>> and by I don't think so I mean 18 (able to vote)

Edit 2>>>>> If you become an unbound delegate and support RP you damn well better be able to go the RNC, MAKE A WAY!

What if you become a bound delegate? Do you have to travel as well?

And how can you find out how many delegates are still needed for your state, an accurate count?

malibu
11-26-2007, 11:09 AM
What if you become a bound delegate? Do you have to travel as well?

Regardless of the state, the bound/committed delegates at the nominating convention are only bound to vote for that particular candidate
on the first ballot.

If no candidate gets the nomination then everyone is "unbound" on the second and subsequent ballots.

So if you are a delegate, you are definitely gonna want to be there.

sharedvoice
11-26-2007, 10:50 PM

Total Delegation - 2381

I though 1,230 was needed to win?

malibu
11-27-2007, 10:28 AM
I though 1,230 was needed to win?

It is just a simple majority of delegates to get the nomination, so the loss of some delegates changed that 50% + 1 number to 1191.

If no one gets to that magic number on the first ( committed ) ballot, then all delegates are uncommitted to any particular candidate on subsequent ballots.

vegetarianrpfan
11-28-2007, 03:00 PM

If someone wants to be a Ron Paul delegate and can't afford to go to Minneapolis, please try to be one anyway, and I'm sure people will be carpooling/chipping in/helping anyone get there who will put in a vote for Ron Paul at the convention.

--------------------------------------
Libertarian Girl
http://www.libertariangirl.com

hawkeyenick
12-07-2007, 06:03 PM
It is just a simple majority of delegates to get the nomination, so the loss of some delegates changed that 50% + 1 number to 1191.

If no one gets to that magic number on the first ( committed ) ballot, then all delegates are uncommitted to any particular candidate on subsequent ballots.

Wait, so we have room to filibuster the other candidates and force an either/or vote?

fortilite
12-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Wait, so we have room to filibuster the other candidates and force an either/or vote?

We lose an either or vote!

libertygrl
12-07-2007, 06:50 PM
If someone wants to be a Ron Paul delegate and can't afford to go to Minneapolis, please try to be one anyway, and I'm sure people will be carpooling/chipping in/helping anyone get there who will put in a vote for Ron Paul at the convention.

--------------------------------------
Libertarian Girl
http://www.libertariangirl.com

I know that's probably why most people are hesitant about becoming a delegate - the possible expense! Maybe a poll should be started to ask how many people would committ themselves in becoming a delegate if they only had the financial means. Once we have that number, maybe the meetup groups could sponsor some people by donating money. But they have to make a pledge to become a delegate first. Although, I'm not sure how we could protect ourselves if someone wanted to take advantage of this. I guess we would just have to rely on the honor system - so far it's worked with other donations. Any thoughts?

Bradley in DC
12-08-2007, 09:46 AM
http://www.gop.com/images/2008_Call_FINAL.pdf

Thunderbolt
12-09-2007, 01:08 AM
I know that's probably why most people are hesitant about becoming a delegate - the possible expense! Maybe a poll should be started to ask how many people would committ themselves in becoming a delegate if they only had the financial means. Once we have that number, maybe the meetup groups could sponsor some people by donating money. But they have to make a pledge to become a delegate first. Although, I'm not sure how we could protect ourselves if someone wanted to take advantage of this. I guess we would just have to rely on the honor system - so far it's worked with other donations. Any thoughts?

I really like this idea. We have donations for so many things right now but I can't get a single person to agree to become a delegate because of the cost. It is around 1-3 thousand dollars a person depending on where you live. You have to pay for hotels for 5 days, airfare to and from, meals, taxis, rental cars, time off work, etc. It adds up very quickly.

I know we are doing something to get folks to NH, but what about getting them to the RNC? Can we get some houses to rent there? I am sure folks would be willing to sleep on cots. We could get 40 people or more to a 4 bedroom house.

Then there are chip-ins. Can we develop a fund for delegates? Buy their airline tickets for them?

Develop a ride-sharing board like we had back in college?

Find folks who live in the area who are willing to cook meals for delegates?

Is it too late already? In most place people had to sign petitions by certain dates to become eligible to be delegates. Do we still have time?

Can we have a phone bank where we offer all this stuff to potential delegates?

Can we have a delegate help section where we can put up chip ins, put up the ride share board, the food share board, the room share board?

bbachtung
12-09-2007, 01:41 AM
1191 to win.

foofighter20x
12-14-2007, 02:09 AM

Not all the delegates, just some.

A few states require delegates to be bound for anyhwere from the first 2 to 5 ballots.

Other states require that the delegates be bound until the candidate releases them from their obligation to vote for him.

foofighter20x
12-14-2007, 02:20 AM
AK - 29 | CT - 20 | ID - 32 | KY - 45 | MI - 30 | NE - 33 | NY - 101 | OR - 30 | TN - 55 | WA - 40

Total Delegation - 2380

http://www.gop.com/images/2008_Call_FINAL.pdf

I was wrong on Michigan. They get one less than I thought. Doesn't change the number needed to win, though...

Bradley in DC
12-14-2007, 07:15 AM

No, that's not true. The rules "binding" delegates vary greatly by state. Some are never bound, some of the first ballot only, some on the first few, some until released.