PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't Cuba invaded Guantanamo Bay?

james1906
12-03-2011, 11:32 AM
They're sick of it being there, the world is sick of it being there.

RonPaulFanInGA
12-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Because the U.S. military is there, and attacking them would mean a war they'd subsequently lose? Castro hasn't stayed in power for over fifty years by being an idiot.

ZanZibar
12-03-2011, 11:51 AM
There is a 100 year "lease" on it. Besides the Cuban military would be unable to do that, they would be crushed.

Kludge
12-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Cuba should consider quietly invading during our invasion of Iran. Right at the start, when deployments are going down and plans finalized. The Gitmo Invasion brief could be lost in the pile as Iran invasion meetings take full days.

pcosmar
12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Why do some people continually think that all that Marxists and Trotskyites in our government are opposed to communism?

Cuba serves it's purposes.

james1906
12-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Wouldn't the amount of military power just at Gitmo not be enough to repel Cuba's army? This would then require us to launch an external attack onto Cuba which would be condemned internationally, including by most members of NATO.

Even with those in Cuba opposed to Castro, I doubt having a foreign nation's 'POW' camp in their country is popular with them.

libertybrewcity
12-03-2011, 01:37 PM
There is a 100 year "lease" on it. Besides the Cuban military would be unable to do that, they would be crushed.

I believe the lease is indefinite, not 100 years. It was signed in 1903, and we still remain there. I haven't found any sources about 100 years, either.

ctb619
12-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Wouldn't the amount of military power just at Gitmo not be enough to repel Cuba's army? This would then require us to launch an external attack onto Cuba which would be condemned internationally, including by most members of NATO.

Even with those in Cuba opposed to Castro, I doubt having a foreign nation's 'POW' camp in their country is popular with them.

Sure, if the United States military took no action to reinforce the base or bring in additional assets to repel an attack, Cuban forces could probably overrun the base. But Cuba mobilizing its forces and massing them in preparation for an invasion of the Guantanamo Naval Base wouldn't go unnoticed.

It's a short flight to Cuba from the multiple Air Force bases in Florida. And do you really think "most members of NATO" would condemn the United States for repelling an attack on its naval base?

Lafayette
12-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Galloway: Tell your friend not to get cute down there. The Marines at Gitmo are fanatical.
Weinberg: Fanatical about what?
Galloway: About being Marines.

- A Few Good Men

^ this