PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Campaign Rejects Trump Iowa Debate

Pages : [1] 2

Matt Collins
12-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Ron Paul Campaign Rejects Trump Iowa Debate

Trump’s participation will contribute to circus-like
atmosphere and is odd considering his slight to RPI

ANKENY, Iowa – The Ron Paul 2012 Presidential campaign released the following statement concerning the selection of Donald Trump as moderator for the December 27th Republican debate to be held in Iowa. Below please find comments from Ron Paul 2012 National Campaign Chairman Jesse Benton

“The Ron Paul 2012 Presidential Campaign Committee rejects the selection of Donald Trump as moderator for the Republican presidential debate to be held on December 27th

“We have conferred with our Iowa campaign chairman Drew Ivers and vice-chairmen David Fischer and A.J. Spiker who are all RPI State Central Committee Members, and they concur with this decision.

“The selection of a reality television personality to host a presidential debate that voters nationwide will be watching is beneath the office of the Presidency and flies in the face of that office’s history and dignity. Mr. Trump’s participation as moderator will distract from questions and answers concerning important issues such as the national economy, crushing federal government debt, the role of the federal government, foreign policy, and the like. To be sure, Mr. Trump’s participation will contribute to an unwanted circus-like atmosphere.

“Mr. Trump’s selection is also wildly inappropriate because of his record of toying with the serious decision of whether to compete for our nation’s highest office, a decision he appeared to make frivolously. The short-lived elevation of Mr. Trump’s stature as a candidate put him on the radar of many organizations and we recall that last spring he was invited to keynote the Republican Party of Iowa’s annual Reagan Dinner, yet at the last minute he left RPI holding the bag by canceling. In turn, RPI canceled its biggest fundraising gala of the year and suffered embarrassment and in addition RPI was required to engage in refunding measures. Our candidate will not even consider participating in the late-December debate until Mr. Trump publicly apologizes to Iowa party leaders and rectifies in full the situation.

“Therefore our candidate Ron Paul, the champion of the Constitution, has advised he will not attend.”

LinuxJedi
12-03-2011, 10:23 AM
That does it, Perry won't have someone to ask for help now...

robertwerden
12-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Like a boss

IDefendThePlatform
Bravo. Good decision.

Sola_Fide
Hmmm. I can see the good and the bad in this.

wgadget
AWESOME. I love how the press release pre-disqualifies Trump for the office of President, should he decide to run (again).
It also simultaneously gives the Iowa Republicans credibility, and makes Ron sound like a SERIOUS candidate for the non-frivolous job of President of the USA.

ChrisDixon
12-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Nice. Great quotes! Benton strikes again!

bluesc
12-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Awesome :). Good to see the campaign making inroads with the Republican Party in Iowa and completely trashing this garbage "debate".

We'll see you when you run as an independent next year, Trump.

Tina
12-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Good. It's a bunch of crap anyway. Donald Trump is a scum sucker.

jkob
12-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Don't like this. Shouldn't be pulling out of debates and now we'll have Trump talking junk about Ron having no chance anyways.

Student Of Paulism
12-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Eh...i think its a mistake. Ron needs all the exposure he can get and he is snuffed much too much as it is. Sure, yes, this is a complete media fluff circus and to advertise the trump name and give him 'presidential exposure', but Ron still needs to be there to get himself noticed and voiced as much as possible. Take for instance, the Iowa Family Leader. He never should have attended as he had no chance of being endorsed based on the atmosphere and the type of voters, but still, he made himself known and was able to get his message out there. It is also going to lead to more Trump bashing on Ron now...baah.

wgadget
12-03-2011, 10:32 AM
They could've made it briefer by Ron just saying to Trump, "You're fired!" :D

Sola_Fide
12-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah, that's the bad part I see about it. Circus or not, there are going to be a lot of people watching Trump moderate anything.

wgadget
12-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Eh...i think its a mistake. Ron needs all the exposure he can get and he is snuffed much too much as it is. Sure, yes, this is a complete media fluff circus and to advertise the trump name and give him 'presidential exposure', but Ron still needs to be there to get himself noticed and voiced as much as possible. Take for instance, the Iowa Family Leader. He never should have attended as he had no chance of being endorsed based on the atmosphere and the type of voters, but still, he made himself known and was able to get his message out there. It is also going to lead to more Trump bashing on Ron now...baah.

Who cares about Trump? Trump has proven he has no class.

odamn
(imo) Great decision!
This was going to be a hatchet job, anyway ...

sailingaway
Thank you, Ron!!!

I just posted it but I'll delete that one. I am SO glad.

jonhowe
12-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Less than a week before the caucus??? What??!!

Tina
12-03-2011, 10:34 AM

I disagree. It's a joke to have Trump as a moderator. More candidates may follow Paul and Huntsman.

sailingaway
12-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Don't like this. Shouldn't be pulling out of debates and now we'll have Trump talking junk about Ron having no chance anyways.

who cares what Trump says? He's going to 'announce his endorsement' right after the debate, Apprentice style, and anyone there will look like they are pandering for it. Picking him was a revolting idea.

wgadget
Paul/Huntsman 2012?

Carehn
Like a boss is right!

mwkaufman
12-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Ugh, just go, hate missing the only debate the final two weeks before the election. If Santorum/Newt/Romney/Bachmann/Perry have a debate, it makes Paul not look like a serious contender for Iowa.

jsingh1022
Trump or no Trump... it is the last debate before the Iowa Caucus. Many people may make their final decision based on this debate.

Student Of Paulism
Who cares about Trump? Trump has proven he has no class.

Of course, not disputing that, but he DOES have his followers, and as we know, there are all too many sheep out there who will buy into any of his flaming on Ron. I just don't believe it's a good idea to snuff yourself out like that. As Aqua said, A LOT of people will be watching this, and who knows, they see Ron, may agree with him, research him, and boom, they get converted. Hell, that is how most of us became believers.

No Free Beer
12-03-2011, 10:37 AM
That's not the point. Someone needs to make a stand to this nonsense. Everything in the news these days can be defined by one word: sensationalism. I am sick of it and I commend the campaign on ending this garbage. Think about this for a second.

Greta invited Sarah Palin to give advice to the other Republican candidates on what they should do. This comes from the lady that left her office in middle of her term. This is the lady that lost her VP bid in 2008. Who is she to give advice to anyone?

Hannity has Sarah Palin on to discuss the GOP nomination on who is good and who isn't. Again, who is she to decide this?

The media outlets talk about Herman Cain more than they talk about the issues.

This has to end and I think the campaign is putting a line in the sand. Enough with this garbage. Donald Trump? Who the hell is he to become a moderator? What the hell has he done in the world of politics or journalism? Give me a break...

sailingaway
Trump or no Trump... it is the last debate before the Iowa Caucus. Many people may make their final decision based on this debate.
The Des Moines Register debate should be the last before the caucus. This one was presumptuous to begin with.

dante
I doubt many people will watch this debate - and i'm hoping more candidates will follow Huntsman and Paul's lead. Plus Paul will probably get a ton of positive IA press for this. Trump is a buffoon and I'm glad Dr. Paul isn't putting up with him.

ShaneEnochs
12-03-2011, 10:38 AM
IN YOUR FACE DONALD!

jsingh1022
12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
The Des Moines Register debate should be the last before the caucus. This one was presumptuous to begin with.

http://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/2012-debate-schedule/2011-2012-primary-debate-schedule/

The DM Register date was scheduled for 12/19 and has been merged with ABC's 12/10 debate. Trump's 12/27 is actually the last debate before 1/3.

I agreed with Dante though, many people may not watch. It is airing on Newsmax and Ion TV... Does anyone even have those channels? Is it an Iowa thing?

wgadget
That's not the point. Someone needs to make a stand to this nonsense. Everything in the news these days can be defined by one word: sensationalism. I am sick of it and I commend the campaign on ending this garbage. Think about this for a second.

Greta invited Sarah Palin to give advice to the other Republican candidates on what they should do. This comes from the lady that left her office in middle of her term. This is the lady that lost her VP bid in 2008. Who is she to give advice to anyone?

Hannity has Sarah Palin on to discuss the GOP nomination on who is good and who isn't. Again, who is she to decide this?

This has to end and I think the campaign is putting a line in the sand. Enough with this garbage. Donald Trump? Who the hell is he to become a moderator? What the hell has he done in the world of politics or journalism? Give me a break...

You are SO RIGHT. The whole process has become cheapened and dumbed-down. I salute Ron for drawing the line and trying to keep some semblance of integrity in the process. To me, the worst part is where Trump says he'll determine who he's voting for from his debate...UGH.

No Free Beer
Did you guys forget about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOoj96dv4uI

Student Of Paulism
12-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Exactly, that is an excellent point. If this was May or June, it would be meaningless, but yea, being the last one, it is more 'impressionable'. I dunno, i just feel with how Ron is already silenced so much as it is, bringing more upon yourself is just not good. Don't get me wrong, i agree with the fact that Trump is a joke and i know about the true meaning of this debate and what its all geared toward, but still....

Paulitics 2011
12-03-2011, 10:41 AM
This is good. Huntsman has said the same, and I think a few other candidates and pundits have called this thing a joke - as it is.

erowe1
12-03-2011, 10:41 AM
This statement implies that the usual debate moderators should be taken seriously, which is a compliment they don't deserve, and leaves me wondering what the real reason for skipping this one is.

freejack
12-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Ron has exposed Trump for the joke that he is. Love how Ron is starting to show his tough side. Hope the msm picks up on this.

jkob
12-03-2011, 10:43 AM
This debate will get a lot of attention between being the last debate before Iowa and Trump moderating. Hopefully we're well into position to win this thing by then or this could be a huge mistake. Trump will say Ron has no chance and trash him for not participating, the Fox News watchers will eat that up. Unless Newt or Romney drop out of this, it's a mistake.

freejack
12-03-2011, 10:44 AM
This statement implies that the usual debate moderators should be taken seriously, which is a complement they don't deserve, and leaves me wondering what the real reason for skipping this on is.

The other moderates are established media pundits and reporters whereas Trump is a reality tv host like the press release says.

UtahApocalypse
12-03-2011, 10:45 AM
As a supporter I love this.

As an average voter in Iowa I would never hear this entire statement though. Don't be surprised if what the Media, and Trump say about Paul not being there is NOTHING from his Press Release. They will use this against us as far as anyone watching the debate. Unfortunately following a core value means you lose.

The only way this can become a win-win is if other candidates also drop.

Agreed --->

This debate will get a lot of attention between being the last debate before Iowa and Trump moderating. Hopefully we're well into position to win this thing by then or this could be a huge mistake. Trump will say Ron has no chance and trash him for not participating, the Fox News watchers will eat that up. Unless Newt or Romney drop out of this, it's a mistake.

bluesc
Some coverage: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/03/paul-campaign-calls-trump-debate-wildly-inappropriate/

Sucks that they leave out the part where the campaign say if Trump apologizes to the Iowa Republican leaders, Ron may reconsider. Most of the other candidates will attend because they are kneeling before Trump as if he's actually important.

Okie RP fan
Hmm, don't know which way to digest this.

On one hand, I think this explanation is right on and absolutely true.

On the other, it was more air time for Dr. Paul to be seen by a wide audience, and Trump could hold resentment towards Ron now.

wgadget
12-03-2011, 10:48 AM

On the other, it was more air time for Dr. Paul to be seen by a wide audience, and Trump could hold resentment towards Ron now.

AND ANOTHER THING....All these other candidates meeting with Trump...What that all about???

Seems fishy to me.

Tina
12-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Rove said on fox today that 40 people would be watching this debate on Ion.

fc2008
This is New Hampshire 2008 all over again. Very effective strategy having Trump moderate knowing RP wouldn't attend.

freejack

The media loves this kind of stuff. It may ultimately buy more attention than he would've received from the debate.

flightlesskiwi
http://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/2012-debate-schedule/2011-2012-primary-debate-schedule/

The DM Register date was scheduled for 12/19 and has been merged with ABC's 12/10 debate. Trump's 12/27 is actually the last debate before 1/3.

I agreed with Dante though, many people may not watch. It is airing on Newsmax and Ion TV... Does anyone even have those channels? Is it an Iowa thing?

i have ION... it's a satellite station. it's basically a station that carries rerun shows and movies in syndicate. no original programming that i know of.

fatjohn
12-03-2011, 10:52 AM
why is perry still going. He finally has an excuse for not going to a debate where he would perform horribly as always anyway.

MRoCkEd
12-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Looks like a strategic move to gain favor with the Iowa GOP.

trey4sports
12-03-2011, 10:53 AM
(In my best Captain Hook voice) Bad form Jack, bad form.

Don't think it is a good decision but oh well.

Student Of Paulism
12-03-2011, 10:54 AM

Yep. I mean, cmon, it is obvious how Donald will respond this to make Ron look bad.

Reporter: How do you feel about Dr Paul boycotting the debate?
Trump: Well, hey, Ron is a smart man and definitely a great candidate (etc, etc, some more credibility pandering crap), but hey, serious issues are on the table here and you are running for president, so this tells me Ron isn't that serious about it. Personal differences need to be put aside and everyone needs to do their part to get Obama out of office, you know!?

:rolleyes:

TC95
12-03-2011, 10:55 AM

With Trump moderating, Ron would be lucky to get 2 minutes in that debate. We don't need that loser.

georgiaboy
12-03-2011, 10:56 AM
This bold and courageous move by Ron Paul and his campaign stirs the deep moral recesses in my soul.

This is so right. Consequences will be what they will be, but this is so right, and it therefore cannot be wrong.

For the faithful among us, God doesn't expect Ron to try and control outcomes. God expects Ron to do the next right thing. Outcomes are in God's hands, not in Ron's and not in the Donald's. Ron not only calls us to a higher political realm, but a higher moral one as well. God bless him.

R3volutionJedi
12-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Ron Paul should host an alternate event with him either making a speech or answering questions

Badger Paul
"Bravo. Good decision. "

Yes it is a good decision. This debate was a trap we just avoided. We're not going to be Trump's bitch and we're not going to be his conduit so he can still be in the game.

After a whole year of debate (with two more coming up and even more in January and February) why in the hell do we need another? What purpose does it serve? Nothing! Other than some man's ego.

erowe1
This bold and courageous move by Ron Paul and his campaign stirs the deep moral recesses in my soul.

This is so right. Consequences will be what they will be, but this is so right, and it therefore cannot be wrong.

For the faithful among us, God doesn't expect Ron to try and control outcomes. God expects Ron to do the next right thing. Outcomes are in God's hands, not in Ron's and not in the Donald's. Ron not only calls us to a higher political realm, but a higher moral one as well. God bless him.

What is it about this that makes it right?

jkob
12-03-2011, 11:00 AM

Guarantee that the media will do a 180 and give this debate a ton of attention and say stuff along the lines "finally the field is narrowing so we can know what the real candidates think"

erowe1
12-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Ron Paul should host an alternate event with him either making a speech or answering questions

Or debating the other candidates who also opt not to attend.

jasonxe
12-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Probably a good thing. Everyone watching will realize how each of the candidates are the same.

Badger Paul
12-03-2011, 11:02 AM
"a lot of people watching Trump moderate anything. "

Actually it isn't. It's going to be broadcast on some unknown cable channel available in only 90 million homes.

Sola_Fide
12-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Actually it isn't. It's going to be broadcast on some unknown cable channel available in only 90 million homes.

Yeah, I just read that. It makes me feel a little better.

JohnGalt23g
12-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Well decided Dr. Paul, and well done Jesse Benton!

In the Jersey vernacular, Trump is a fugazi. You, Dr. Paul, are a pezzonovante. Tell him to go get his f**king shinebox!!

robmpreston
12-03-2011, 11:05 AM
This is a terrible idea, IMO...

ZanZibar
12-03-2011, 11:05 AM
If it gets down to essentially be Newt vs Romney attending this debate, watch for Romney to drop because he doesn't want to go one-on-one with Newt.

wgadget
12-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Ron has exposed Trump for the joke that he is. Love how Ron is starting to show his tough side. Hope the msm picks up on this.

Drudged.

Sola_Fide
12-03-2011, 11:08 AM
If it gets down to essentially be Newt vs Romney attending this debate, watch for Romney to drop because he doesn't want to go one-on-one with Newt.

Why not? There is nothing to debate of substance, but Mitt's campaign could have a heyday with Newt's morality.

Edit: oh I see you are talking strictly about this debate.

bluesc
12-03-2011, 11:08 AM

And presumably on newsmax.com, which has 8,000,000 monthly unique visitors, and it will be heavily promoted on that site for the next month.

thehungarian
12-03-2011, 11:09 AM
This is a great decision. I was just thinking last night that he should drop out of this.

hueylong
12-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Solid strategic call. There is every reason (political and non-political) to reject a debate moderated by Trump. Good job by the campaign.

LBennett76
12-03-2011, 11:10 AM
nm

georgiaboy
12-03-2011, 11:11 AM
What is it about this that makes it right?

Making a decision to attend based on more than just the conventional wisdom of "of course you attend everything you're invited to if it gives you a chance to get in front of the voters".

The things mentioned in the OP matter.

thehungarian
12-03-2011, 11:12 AM
More candidates are going to drop out of this, imo. They will have to drop Trump.

LibertyEagle
12-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Paul/Huntsman 2012?

You betcha. If you want a Rothschild-backed candidate as the number 2 man. Personally, I'd rather not.

PaulStandsTall
12-03-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm glad he dropped out. I really doubt Newt, Bachmann, Perry, or Romney will decline considering their recent pilgrimages to Trump Tower...

TC95
12-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Does anybody remember this? This debate would have been rigged against Ron. I'm glad that he refuses to bow before The Donald.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGz92kaZUrc

speciallyblend
12-03-2011, 11:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz26fcmq3S8<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz26fcmq3S8">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz26fcmq3S8

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz26fcmq3S8)who wants to argue with Ron Paul? exactly , Ron Paul 2012

wgadget
12-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Yes, put together Trump with all the other candidates who went to a "meeting" with him, and we would have a disaster for Ron Paul.

I bet Trump is fuming right about now. It was probably meant to take down Ron, imo.

LibertyEagle
12-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Well, they could make this an all reality TV moderated debate. ;) Let's see, they could invite the Kardashians, someone from the Real Housewives of Jersey whatever, and have them join the Donald at the moderator table.

FreeTraveler
12-03-2011, 11:19 AM
That about sums it up.

Once again, the good doctor has to school some of his very own supporters on the importance of sticking to one's principles.

Good call, Dr. Paul!

wgadget
12-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Well, they could make this an all reality TV moderated debate. ;) Let's see, they could invite the Kardashians, someone from the Real Housewives of Jersey whatever, and have them join the Donald at the moderator table.

Could they have America call in to support Candidate X over Candidate Y, too, a la American Idol?

LibertyEagle
12-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Could they have America call in to support Candidate X over Candidate Y, too, a la American Idol?

lol

unknown
Like a boss

This.

Fredom101
The debate will be a joke, but, I disagree that "the office of the president" should be held in any high regard. That's just some of the brainwashing we all learned in school.

wgadget
12-03-2011, 11:23 AM
The office of the President used to be a revered office.

President Ron Paul would make it so once again.

wgadget
12-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Double post

sailingaway
12-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Paul/Huntsman 2012?

uh, no.

sailingaway
12-03-2011, 11:29 AM

Well, Sarah Palin is different. She was the VP candidate and the only reason McCain got as far as he did was her popularity. If he hadn't voted for TARP they likely would have won. (And if she hadn't gone along with it, she might have run, herself.)

hillertexas
12-03-2011, 11:29 AM
drudged

sailingaway
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM

I sincerely doubt Romney is worried about going one on one with Newt. If Romney drops it will be because having Trump moderate is a freak show.

sailingaway
12-03-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm glad he dropped out. I really doubt Newt, Bachmann, Perry, or Romney will decline considering their recent pilgrimages to Trump Tower...

ROMNEY went? Sheesh! Maybe he's planning on losing, after all!

specsaregood
and Trump could hold resentment towards Ron now.

Who is supposed to be the star of this shindig? The moderator or the candidates? Ron called em out for the correct answer to that question.

Fact is: a "debate" shown online and on some satellite channel that most people that have it don't even know they have it? Dr. Paul not going effectively halves their audience, easily. He's the only real draw other than Trump and people watching for trump aren't watching to decide to vote in the caucus.

unknown
The debate will be a joke, but, I disagree that "the office of the president" should be held in any high regard. That's just some of the brainwashing we all learned in school.

Heh, I saw that in the statement as well and was like errrr theyre just being polite.

Badger Paul
Or Snooki too, I mean we can really scrape the bottom of the barrel with this one.

nyrgoal99
Skipping Debates is a bad idea, no matter whoever is asking the questions, or no matter how much time you get

sailingaway
12-03-2011, 11:33 AM

They already said there would be 'other personages of note' at the moderator table. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Kardashian.

Dianne
12-03-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. Trump is a "circus" type choice, and has already gone on the record saying Ron Paul has no chance to win; which makes him bias at the very least.

One thing for sure though !!!! Every Ron Paul supporter in the world should boycott the debate, leave their television and internet streams off; and hope their ratings go down the drain.

Luieburger
12-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Well done. Good choice.

FreeTraveler
12-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Anybody who thinks this was a mistake, take a look at how Politico summed it up. They're not known for being Paul supporters.

The Trump debate invitation looks like a kind of dignity test for the 2012 presidential field; so far Paul and Jon Huntsman are the only two candidates to state that they will not attend.
Dr. Paul knocks it out of the park again!

iliketurtles
12-03-2011, 11:35 AM
someone needed to do this!!!!!! good job dr paul. our future is not a reality show!

sailingaway
12-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Who is supposed to be the star of this shindig? The moderator or the candidates? Ron called em out for the correct answer to that question.

Fact is: a "debate" shown online and on some satellite channel that most people that have it don't even know they have it? Dr. Paul not going effectively halves their audience, easily. He's the only real draw other than Trump and people watching for trump aren't watching to decide to vote in the caucus.

And we have to make sure that is the case. ONE person dvr this. IF you must (I can miss it.) Don't watch. At least that is where I come out. They picked Trump to give it 'more impact' in their statement. Well, we have a HUGE impact on channel views, particularly on cable.

qh4dotcom
Anybody who thinks this was a mistake, take a look at how Politico summed it up. They're not known for being Paul supporters.

I think he should have gone...it's being held in Iowa right before the Iowa caucus. Iowa voters need to hear his message. I don't see any difference between this debate and the others he has participated in. They're all a joke.

thehungarian
I don't get the Ion channel, so I will be boycotting along with Huntsman and Paul. Solidarity!

Dianne
They already said there would be 'other personages of note' at the moderator table. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Kardashian.

LMAO

LisaNY
12-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Thank you Ron and Campaign for making this decision!!!!!

I was hoping and praying you would skip this FARCE.

Dianne
12-03-2011, 11:38 AM

Wow, Huntsman deserves big kudos for that. Is Huntsman going to also sit out that crooked Israel GOP thing as well?

WIwarrior
12-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Smart move by Ron. This gives us possitive coverage as the debate is already looked at as a joke. When the debate is held, it will look like a clown party and Paul will be praised for not attending. This campaign is making all the right moves.

Dianne
12-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Reading the Politico coverage, it was the correct decision for Paul.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/69687.html

Says:

Ron Paul camp: Donald Trump debate "beneath the office of the Presidency"

I think that makes Ron Paul look very Presidential.

outspoken
12-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Ron Paul should run a simultaneous webcast answering questions from call in's or from respectable commentators. I think this is a brilliant move and will attract more attention than 89 seconds from Trump. Well played RP!!

Sola_Fide
12-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Ron Paul should run a simultaneous webcast answering questions from call in's or from respectable commentators. I think this is a brilliant move and will attract more attention than 89 seconds from Trump. Well played RP!!

I agree. Ron should call some competing attention to his campaign at this time.

LisaNY
12-03-2011, 11:48 AM
I'd be nice if the peeps in Iowa could hold a pre-caucus rally for Ron that night.

Dianne
12-03-2011, 11:49 AM

Great idea !!!! Only thing I wish he would have done is announce this Monday... you know how poor the weekend news cycle is. Wonder if Muckabe will ask him about it tonight.

thehungarian
12-03-2011, 11:50 AM

I like this idea. Have some sort of alternate event.

WIwarrior
12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
So far the comments are almost all POSITIVE for Ron's decision to not attend. I just checked CNN, Politico, USA Today. We did good!

LEK
12-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Perhaps Ron Paul's decision will influence the some of the others...they do seem to like to copy him...because he is a leader.

teacherone
12-03-2011, 12:00 PM
dumb decision.

it's kinda like refusing to shake someone's hand.

Delivered4000
12-03-2011, 12:04 PM
It was an obvious establishment trap

Original_Intent
12-03-2011, 12:04 PM
No, it is a good call. We have a frontrunner OPTING OUT of attending. That will generate more attention and he will get more time to talk about that decision than he would have gotten in the debate.

The press release was pitch perfect. The fact that he essentially called Trump a clown was right on the money. I would be surprised if Ron did not score an hour or more worth of interviews over this decision.

WIwarrior
12-03-2011, 12:06 PM
dumb decision.

it's kinda like refusing to shake someone's hand.

Refusing to shake someone's hand who spit in it right before they held it out to you.

Tina
12-03-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. Trump is a "circus" type choice, and has already gone on the record saying Ron Paul has no chance to win; which makes him bias at the very least.

One thing for sure though !!!! Every Ron Paul supporter in the world should boycott the debate, leave their television and internet streams off; and hope their ratings go down the drain.

You bet! It will be a ratings flop without Paul supporters.

thehungarian
12-03-2011, 12:10 PM
No, it is a good call. We have a frontrunner OPTING OUT of attending. That will generate more attention and he will get more time to talk about that decision than he would have gotten in the debate.

The press release was pitch perfect. The fact that he essentially called Trump a clown was right on the money. I would be surprised if Ron did not score an hour or more worth of interviews over this decision.

Word. Isn't he going on one of the Sunday talk shows? No doubt they'll ask him about it then.

satchelmcqueen
12-03-2011, 12:11 PM
could the campaign have ron and huntsman debate the same day somewhere else, or maybe just have a 1-2hr chat with america separately? or ron just doing his own show.

specsaregood
12-03-2011, 12:17 PM
I think he should have gone...it's being held in Iowa right before the Iowa caucus. Iowa voters need to hear his message. I don't see any difference between this debate and the others he has participated in. They're all a joke.

some were claiming it was a mistake to skip the "twitter debate" as well. it wasn't.

TomtheTinker
12-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Trump is a joke and shouldnt be doing this...but not participating in the most watched debate wont do us any favors.

Carole
12-03-2011, 12:24 PM
He already has talked down Dr. Paul as having no chance. So what?

Carole
12-03-2011, 12:26 PM
So perhaps Dr. Paul should pick that time slot in which to hold a competing event across the hall? :D

Cap
12-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Principled move by Dr. Paul.

Carole
12-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Principled move by Dr. Paul.

Absolutely.

The short-lived elevation of Mr. Trump’s stature as a candidate put him on the radar of many organizations and we recall that last spring he was invited to keynote the Republican Party of Iowa’s annual Reagan Dinner, yet at the last minute he left RPI holding the bag by canceling. In turn, RPI canceled its biggest fundraising gala of the year and suffered embarrassment and in addition RPI was required to engage in refunding measures. Our candidate will not even consider participating in the late-December debate until Mr. Trump publicly apologizes to Iowa party leaders and rectifies in full the situation.

LisaNY
12-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Trump is a joke and shouldnt be doing this...but not participating in the most watched debate wont do us any favors.

Trump IS a joke, that's why participating in this debate will grant him legitimacy he doesn't deserve.

puppetmaster
12-03-2011, 12:37 PM
would be great to get Ron to be on a news program right after to critique the circus and the circus animals

matt0611
12-03-2011, 12:44 PM
So perhaps Dr. Paul should pick that time slot in which to hold a competing event across the hall? :D

Rally for the Republic 2?

rprprs
12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
The proper decision and a perfectly worded rationale for it. Bravo to the campaign.

Dianne
12-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Why dont we have a "Boycott Trump Debate Money Bomb" on that night.

zerosdontcount
12-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Huntsman and Paul should have a Lincoln-Douglass debate the same night.

matt0611
12-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Huntsman and Paul should have a Lincoln-Douglass debate the same night.

That also a good idea!

I would love to see Ron do one of those 1-1 debates, he comes across so much better without having to do 30 or 60 second sound bites.

Would be bad to give hunstman any publicity though, hmmm...

PastaRocket848
12-03-2011, 01:05 PM
That's incredibly stupid. Were going to give up the stage just says before the caucus, in what will probably be the most watched debate of the whole campaign?

This is unbelievable. Why give the competition a stage to themselves at the most important moment in the whole campaign?

teacherone
12-03-2011, 01:07 PM
That's incredibly stupid. Were going to give up the stage just says before the caucus, in what will probably be the most watched debate of the whole campaign?

This is unbelievable. Why give the competition a stage to themselves at the most important moment in the whole campaign?

this.

looks like we're in an educational campaign here people.

EBounding
12-03-2011, 01:07 PM

Because the "stage" is going to be in a landfill. Doing this would be an even bigger waste of time than the CBS 89 second debate. It's obvious Trump would ignore Paul or ask him stupid questions. Paul would be more productive campaigning or doing interviews elsewhere.

cornell
12-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Trump's reaction was to call Ron Paul a "clown-like candidate"

Based on that, I really think the Paul camp made the right decision here. It's clear Trump is already ridiculously biased against him.

ZanZibar
12-03-2011, 01:09 PM
HERE IS MY PREDICTION:

This debate will now be perceived as Romney vs Newt. Romney doesn't want a one on one debate so he may drop. If that happens then it'll be the rest of the candidates vs Newt on stage which Newt doesn't want. This means that Newt may drop.

So my prediction is that this event won't happen at all, thanks to Ron Paul's fortitude. :cool:

PastaRocket848
12-03-2011, 01:10 PM
A landfill with millions and millions of people who are about to vote in a few days watching. The media is going to make this the biggest debate event of the campaign, and we won't be there.

It's almost like Ron is trying to make sure this becomes a newt/mitt race. He's declining to even compete a week before the vote!

Kords21
12-03-2011, 01:11 PM
He wouldn't get a fair shake in this "debate" at all. Rejecting it and doing more productive campaign things is the way to go. Besides this is on the 27th right? Between Christmas and before New Years, I highly doubt many people are in the mood to watch yet another Republican debate when a lot of people are on break or whatever it's being called these days. It'll be even funnier when Paul wins Iowa and finishes in the top tier in NH, Trump is going to be looking pretty stupid after his "He can't win" comment. Trump plays Checkers, Ron Paul plays Chess.

Birdlady
12-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't know how I feel about this... We complain about Ron Paul not getting time in the debates and now the campaign backs out of a debate. While I agree it is ridiculous for Trump to be moderating one, it was a joke for Frank Luntz to moderate one as well and RP participated in that one.

In the end, this is the last debate before the caucus right? ...

Agorism
12-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Why can't snookie from Jersey shore host it?

ItsTime
12-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Stupid move.... Wtf....

thehungarian
12-03-2011, 01:15 PM
A landfill with millions and millions of people who are about to vote in a few days watching. The media is going to make this the biggest debate event of the campaign, and we won't be there.

It's almost like Ron is trying to make sure this becomes a newt/mitt race. He's declining to even compete a week before the vote!

It's the Ion channel. Do you know what channel that is? Have you heard of that channel before? It's not on the networks, so I doubt it'll be the most watched.

I don't think the campaign would make a big scene of rejecting the invite like this if they didn't have an alternate plan.

bolidew
If Ron is at the top of the poll, this would be a good decision......

EBounding
Do you guys really think Paul would get serious and substantial questions if he went to this debate?

AlexG
12-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Stupid move.... Wtf....

I thought that too until I heard Trump's remarks to Dr. Paul's statement

bluesc
Stupid move.... Wtf....

The campaign is doing things very differently now. My guess is the sudden rise of Newt forced them to push up their plans, as they going into aggressive mode. This was definitely part of the plan. Give it time.

PastaRocket848
When you're a distant third in what is quickly becoming a two man race, you simply DO NOT give those two a stage to themselves a week before the vote. People are going to watch simply because trump is hosting. It'll get more media than any of the other debates.

And it'll all be about newt and mitt... Cementing the "two man race" mentality just in time for the caucus.

matt0611
12-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Romney will probably decline to go to this as well, he seems like the type.

So it will only be Bachmann, Newt, and maybe Perry, but I could see even Perry not going to this.

On top of this its on the ion channel, no one watches this. This is a troll debate, do not feed the troll, do not attend.

bolidew
12-03-2011, 01:19 PM

Because the campaign has money and thinks 60 second Ads are more effective?

freejack
12-03-2011, 01:22 PM
It's the Ion channel. Do you know what channel that is? Have you heard of that channel before? It's not on the networks, so I doubt it'll be the most watched.

I don't think the campaign would make a big scene of rejecting the invite like this if they didn't have an alternate plan.

This. By the time anyone finds which channel it's on the debate will be over.

archangel689
12-03-2011, 01:22 PM
I wonder what the deciding factor was. Obviously Doug weed isn't stupid. Im sure the campaign did their due Diligence and decided that attending the debate would be more damaging to the campaign. Giving trump free reign to do whatever the hell he wants is a very bad idea.

I can just see the mainstream headlines after the debate. A debate no one will watch because its on the ion channel. It does give trump a chance to say something about Ron to try to ruin him though. High risk with no chance of reward. Trump has already shown that he will never show any positive coverage of Ron. I think it's up to the other candidates to back out now

bluesc
12-03-2011, 01:24 PM
this.

looks like we're in an educational campaign here people.

If it was an educational campaign, don't you think they would use the national stage to educate? Think about it. It was a calculated move.

PastaRocket848
12-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Calculated to be friggin' stupid, maybe. The day after that debate the media will have their 2-man race, handed to them by the man that could've broken it up.

This is beyond belief to me. It's like we're giving up a week before the caucus.

12-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Well I had mixed feelings.

I know it would be reality TV stupidity with trump. If it was a few months ago, I would have said whatever. I was worried about it being so close to the caucus. But the positive media reports made me feel a lot better. Everyone knows it would be a circus. I really like the idea of an alternative Huntsman/Paul debate. Even better have the campaign set it up and offer to let the other candidates attend to undercut Trump. It might fall apart on it own anyway if the others see the media calling it a circus because of Trump and pull out.

archangel689
12-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Ion channel.

RP Supporter
12-03-2011, 01:33 PM
With almost half of the field already not attending, I'd not be surprised if this gets no coverage even if it does go on.

Romney's smart. He knows Trump has pretty high negatives with the American people. And there's always the risk he goes full on birther, which none of the leading candidates want. I think Romney refuses to go and this thing dies. And Paul will come out looking smarter for never disgracing himself in the first place.

ItsTime
12-03-2011, 01:34 PM
With almost half of the field already not attending, I'd not be surprised if this gets no coverage even if it does go on.

Romney's smart. He knows Trump has pretty high negatives with the American people. And there's always the risk he goes full on birther, which none of the leading candidates want. I think Romney refuses to go and this thing dies. And Paul will come out looking smarter for never disgracing himself in the first place.

I am hoping this is how it pans out.

bluesc
12-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Calculated to be friggin' stupid, maybe. The day after that debate the media will have their 2-man race, handed to them by the man that could've broken it up.

This is beyond belief to me. It's like we're giving up a week before the caucus.

Don't you always bash every move the campaign makes? You don't know why they did it. Collins has already said.. That two man race you talk about is what Mitt constantly avoids. They plan on him skipping this debate to avoid having it be him vs Newt, which he has already done repeatedly.

kylejack
12-03-2011, 01:36 PM
The debate is 7 days before Iowa. We don't have time for this nonsense, we've got elections to win.

Dianne
12-03-2011, 01:38 PM

It is not going to be the most watched debate, because hopefully every Ron Paul supporter is going to boycott it !!

kylejack
12-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Just saw on Fox News: Romney says that he's not sure if he'll be able to make the Trump debate. YUSS!!

ItsTime
12-03-2011, 01:39 PM
It is on ion, it wont be the most watched anything.

bluesc
12-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Just saw on Fox News: Romney says that he's not sure if he'll be able to make the Trump debate. YUSS!!

And that was the damn plan. Everyone can stop going CRAZY now.

matt0611
12-03-2011, 01:49 PM

Yup, I called it, Romney will not attend.

Perry is a maybe IMO, but I think even he may bow out since debates are not really his thing it seems.

That means a Bachmann v Newt debate on ion television hosted by Trump, LMAO :D
What a joke. So glad Ron is not going to this thing.

rp713
12-03-2011, 01:49 PM
anyone knows how the campaign is now making surgical strikes lately to stay in the news? very well run campaign this time around.

bluesc
12-03-2011, 01:51 PM
anyone knows how the campaign is now making surgical strikes lately to stay in the news? very well run campaign this time around.

The first time was the attack on Perry months ago. They do it perfectly every damn time. Major kudos to the campaign. And the armchair pundits who constantly bash the campaign for making these decisions can be quiet for once.

Patrick Henry
12-03-2011, 01:52 PM
lol. Dr. Paul strikes again!

ItsTime
12-03-2011, 01:53 PM
The first time was the attack on Perry months ago. They do it perfectly every damn time. Major kudos to the campaign. And the armchair pundits who constantly bash the campaign for making these decisions can be quiet for once.

Linkage? I take back my bad move campaign. I did not know it was on ion. I thought it was a national station doing it.

Kords21
12-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I think Perry will drop out, His dislike of debates probably trumps any postives he might have about being in a Trump debate

newbitech
12-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Dec 27th? The tuesday after Christmas weekend? I'd think most people may have their minds on other things. The caucus is exactly 1 week after this. This really seems like a gimmick to try and corner the last news cycle before the votes. I'd hope that most Iowans who participate in politics will have made up their minds by then. Those who haven't, have probably found other things besides politics to occupy their minds, and to think that might change because this is the last debate before the vote, probably not realistic. Especially given the proximity to Christmas, 2 days later.

So, unless this "tv debate show" (yes it's a tv show), has some serious hype surrounding it, I'd expect it to be a failure in it's intent to control that final news cycle. I suspect the headlines coming from this debate show will be nothing ground breaking or earth shattering. IN fact, I hope that the media spin points out that Ron Paul wasn't there. I have my reasons for that, but simply, anytime the MSM has gone negative and attacked RP, it has backfired.

I suspect Trump & Co. just hope that Ron Paul people forget to show up.

My view, the entire Trump GOP debate TV SHOW is an attempt to distract the masses and/or lull those fence sitting supporters to sleep. This is a great opportunity for the grassroots in Iowa to rally around the final week and make some news for Ron Paul. Maybe it would be a good idea to have Ron Paul in town giving gifts to charity, sort of like an American version of Boxing Day. Just a thought. Even if RP couldn't attend, it would be nice for the grassroots to maybe put together some winter care packages for homeless and needy people and set up in a Church or public place somewhere. Make news by giving blankets, socks, and gloves to the homeless or needy, and do it with inspiration from Ron Paul rejecting fake "reality" tv debate shows, in favor of facing reality in Iowa.

bluesc
12-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Linkage? I take back my bad move campaign. I did not know it was on ion. I thought it was a national station doing it.

Link to what?

ItsTime
12-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Link to what?

Quoted wrong person sorry. Looking for the link that Romney might not attend.

12-03-2011, 01:58 PM

So Trump took the bait and made a stupid circus like statement about Ron, then mittens says he might not make it. Well played by the campaign again. They are really top notch this time. It aint't 2007 no more. It's amazing how much Ron and the campaign drive the discussion in this race.

civusamericanus
12-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Refusing to shake someone's hand who spit in it right before they held it out to you.
+Rep... On principles Ron Paul should reject this debate, but sadly this is the kind of crap, a lot of moronic Americans like to watch... I don't remember in American History, where after the debate, a month before the primaries, the moderator announces his pick, this is such MADE FOR TV BS!

Two video's come to mind with Trump being the host...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xStvfbIddM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR3KwODDzeY

kylejack
12-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Quoted wrong person sorry. Looking for the link that Romney might not attend.
Don't have a link. Romney is in New Hampshire and some reporters were asking him questions and they asked him specifically about the Trump debate. He said they've received 15 debate invitations and he doesn't think he can make them all, and that he's accepted 2 invitations.

muh_roads
12-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Seems like mostly a positive. Paul is trying to win over the Iowa Republican Party leadership while also trying to get more publicity than he would normally get at some retarded Trump debate anyway.

Stupified
12-03-2011, 02:09 PM
This is a great opportunity for the grassroots in Iowa to rally around the final week and make some news for Ron Paul. Maybe it would be a good idea to have Ron Paul in town giving gifts to charity, sort of like an American version of Boxing Day. Just a thought. Even if RP couldn't attend, it would be nice for the grassroots to maybe put together some winter care packages for homeless and needy people and set up in a Church or public place somewhere. Make news by giving blankets, socks, and gloves to the homeless or needy, and do it with inspiration from Ron Paul rejecting fake "reality" tv debate shows, in favor of facing reality in Iowa.

What a great, great, GREAT idea. Someone needs to pass this on to the campaign team. If Ron can make the time, this would be a great thing to do for Christmas and would send a message to the nation. Where are your priorities, Donald Trump?

12-03-2011, 02:10 PM
The more I think about it, I bet Ron personally put his foot down and refused to stand there and listen to 2 hours of Trumps crap. I would have refused to.

freejack
12-03-2011, 02:12 PM
The more I think about it, I bet Ron personally put his foot down and refused to stand there and listen to 2 hours of Trumps crap. I would have refused to.

Dr. No strikes again!

ZanZibar
12-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Just saw on Fox News: Romney says that he's not sure if he'll be able to make the Trump debate. YUSS!!Called it: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?334349-Ron-Paul-Campaign-Rejects-Trump-Iowa-Debate&p=3801729&viewfull=1#post3801729

Mckarnin
12-03-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm very glad Dr. Paul is not attending. He is classy and earnest and would be too polite to get rude and interrupt Trump if he is being an ass. Chances are high if he had attended Trump would gave tried to turn it into a stand up comedy with Ron Paul as the butt of the joke. Have any of you seen Trump's response to the release about RP not attending? He pretty much said that Ron Paul has zero chance of winning and is a clown...that would not have translated into a good debate for our man.

Lmata
12-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I see several positives to this.

Ron shows support to the active republicans in Iowa. They know about the fundraiser that Trump ditched and left them holding the bag. And, these are the republicans that vote in EVERY election. Any of them who have been on the fence have probably made their decision now ;)

Ron could go door to door canvasing for the 5 hrs he would spend on this debate and gain more votes that sitting on a show where the host doesn't even like him and is more than willing to make him look kooky. This debate will not be watched by the "masses". It's a waste of time in the final week before caucus.

Great move imo.

Paul or not at all
12-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Trump is furious because his little circus show will loose half it's potential viewers.

Muttley
12-03-2011, 02:18 PM

THIS! Send this to the suggestion box!

Dianne
12-03-2011, 02:20 PM

I personally wondered how I could sit through that debate, watching that marsupial crawling around on Trump's head.

Muttley
12-03-2011, 02:23 PM
I personally wondered how I could sit through that debate, watching that marsupial crawling around on Trump's head.

Haha...I always threw him into the reptile category with that nasty looking skin and that shit he always does with his hands when he speaks. Having all of his fingers spread nasty looking. It's disturbingly similar to John McCain. I'm a body language person.. ;)

Dianne
12-03-2011, 02:23 PM

I disagree with you totally. Trump will do one of two things.... completely ignore Ron Paul or ask him things that are totally out of context. Being timed that close to the vote, with no time for explanations; it is better for Ron Paul to be on the offensive rather than defensive.

specsaregood
12-03-2011, 02:24 PM
looks like we're in an educational campaign here people.If it was an educational campaign, don't you think they would use the national stage to educate? Think about it. It was a calculated move.

Indeed it was. Teacherone, you are way off the mark. Read the closing part of Dr. Paul's statement. He makes it about how Trump HURT the Iowa GOP. He hurt their fundraising, he embarrassed the party. This is calculated as the media is constantly trying to paint Dr. Paul as the one that hurts the party. And always scaring GOP voters by asking about an independent run. This firmly states that Dr. Paul is on the GOP's side and Trump is not.

From may in IA:
http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2011/05/19/donald-trump-ditches-iowa-republicans/

Donald Trump Ditches Iowa Republicans

Just in from the Iowa GOP, Donald Trump has decided now that he isn’t a candidate he will not speak at the Iowa GOP Reagan Dinner that has been scheduled on June 10th. The Republican Party of Iowa has decided to cancel event due to “Mr. Trump’s unique appeal and the close proximity to the event.”

Party chairman Matt Strawn blasts Trump, “In Iowa, your word is your bond. We are disappointed that Mr. Trump has chosen not to honor his commitment to Iowa Republicans.”

I understand why they invited him (sort of), but this is another indication that Donald Trump was never Presidential material.

This is a good tactical move to get more GOP establishment in IA on Paul's side.

affa
12-03-2011, 02:33 PM

As an atheist, you can subtract God from that sentence... I believe the exact same thing. We can never predict outcomes - we must just strive to do the right thing at all times.

teacherone
12-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Indeed it was. Teacherone, you are way off the mark. Read the closing part of Dr. Paul's statement. He makes it about how Trump HURT the Iowa GOP. He hurt their fundraising, he embarrassed the party. This is calculated is the media is constantly trying to paint Dr. Paul as the one that hurts the party. And always scaring GOP voters by asking about an independent run. This firmly states that Dr. Paul is on the GOP's side and Trump is not.

From may in IA:
http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2011/05/19/donald-trump-ditches-iowa-republicans/

This is a good tactical move to get more GOP establishment in IA on Paul's side.

alright specs i'll take your word for it.

to be honest, i hadn't read ron's press brief.

if Romney does drop it then it was a great call.

if he doesn't, it's terrible - the two-way horse race meme will be solidified.

bbartlog
12-03-2011, 02:35 PM
I think this is a brilliant move. *Especially* the statement of reasons. Right now, Paul is getting enough media attention that he doesn't have to worry that this will be completely buried, and high enough in the polls that it's pretty hard for people to say 'well, so what'. Showing some awareness of Iowa politics just has to help.
Sounds like Romney is trying to hedge his bets, but on balance I think it makes sense for him to skip it. If it's him versus Newt, he probably doesn't win. Plus Trump is probably leaning towards Newt anyway. He should just commit to skipping it, but vacillation is his style :-).

Arklatex
12-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Seems like mostly a positive. Paul is trying to win over the Iowa Republican Party leadership while also trying to get more publicity than he would normally get at some retarded Trump debate anyway.

Yep!

TC95
12-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Do you guys really think Paul would get serious and substantial questions if he went to this debate?

It doesn't matter. If he gets 2 seconds of air-time, it's worth it.

Just kidding.

Tod
12-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Huntsman's out too....

gls
12-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Nobody outside of political junkies watches these "debates" anyway. The campaign will probably get more coverage over his denial than it would have if he participated.

wgadget
12-03-2011, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=civusamericanus;3801926]+Rep... On principles Ron Paul should reject this debate, but sadly this is the kind of crap, a lot of moronic Americans like to watch... I don't remember in American History, where after the debate, a month before the primaries, the moderator announces his pick, this is such MADE FOR TV BS![QUOTE]

Yeah, and to top it all off...After the "moderator" chooses the "winner," he just might decide to enter the election himself "if the right person" isn't nominated.

Crazy.

kuckfeynes
12-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Thank God. There is no way that debate will not devolve into a mockery of itself.

And it's already making national headlines!

xFiFtyOnE
12-03-2011, 03:54 PM
"5...you gotta have 5!"

jkob
12-03-2011, 03:55 PM
If Romney is really out then it's a good move by Ron. I was really worried that this would play right into the media's hands by excluding Ron to hype up their two "frontrunners" Romney and Gingrich. Maybe Romney, Huntsman, Paul, and whoever else pulls out of the Trump debate could have their own Iowa debate together.

xFiFtyOnE
12-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Donald Trump is an ass.

xFiFtyOnE
12-03-2011, 04:00 PM
In a statement to ABC News, Trump calls Paul “a clown-like candidate” who has “inconsequential poll numbers or a chance of winning.”

This was in response to Paul pulling out of the debate.

Tina
12-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Really? That would be sweet revenge.

kylejack
12-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Nobody's coming to your dumb debate, Trump.

Dutch
12-03-2011, 04:18 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/12/ron-paul-rejects-donald-trump-moderated-debate/

Count Ron Paul out of the Donald Trump-moderated presidential debate planned for Dec. 27 in Iowa.

His campaign chairman, Jesse Benton, distributed a scathing press release this morning saying that Trump’s participation “is beneath the office of the Presidency and flies in the face of that office’s history and dignity.”

“Mr. Trump’s participation as moderator will distract from questions and answers concerning important issues such as the national economy, crushing federal government debt, the role of the federal government, foreign policy, and the like,” Benton said.

Benton called the choice of Trump as a moderator “wildly inappropriate” and said his presence at the debate will “contribute to an unwanted circus-like atmosphere.”

“Therefore, our candidate Ron Paul, the champion of the Constitution, has advised he will not attend,” Benton concluded.

Trump did not take the rejection well.

In a statement to ABC News, Trump calls Paul “a clown-like candidate” who has “inconsequential poll numbers or a chance of winning.”

Trump goes on to plug his book and asks the question, how Ron Paul would fare in the world of big business.

Paul joins fellow candidate Jon Huntsman in rejecting the invitation to Trump’s debate.

Huntsman’s press secretary Tim Miller tweeted Friday: “We look forward to watching Mitt & Newt suck up to The Donald with a big bowl of popcorn.”

Trump’s dismissive tone, prompted another statement from the Paul campaign.

In it Benton suggested that if Trump wanted to be taken seriously by Republicans, he needs to quit reality show “Celebrity Apprentice” which stars Donald Trump.

“If he gets his act together, President Paul might consider getting his advice on fixing our countries financial situation,” writes Benton in an email to ABC station KTRK-TV in Houston. “We understand Donald has a lot of experience with bankruptcy.”

Stupified
12-03-2011, 04:21 PM
“If he gets his act together, President Paul might consider getting his advice on fixing our countries financial situation,” writes Benton in an email to ABC station KTRK-TV in Houston. “We understand Donald has a lot of experience with bankruptcy.”

I am so glad I didn't have any liquid in my mouth just now, because it would be all over my monitor.

kylejack
12-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Benton...don't go overboard. Just let him flop around like an idiot.

seapilot
12-03-2011, 04:23 PM

Ouch. Burn on Trump.

kylejack
12-03-2011, 04:23 PM
“If he gets his act together, President Paul might consider getting his advice on fixing our countries financial situation,” writes Benton in an email to ABC station KTRK-TV in Houston.
country's.

Tinnuhana
12-03-2011, 04:24 PM
So maybe it ends up just Trump and Cain talking together?

McDermit
12-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Do we really need a flame war with Trump?

I just hope other candidates pull out of this; Romney knows Trump isn't endoring him... hopefully he pulls out.

kylejack
12-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Do we really need a flame war with Trump?
No. And Trump is an experienced pro at flame wars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d32577Hom08

We do not need a distraction like this.

McDermit
12-03-2011, 04:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d32577Hom08

We do not need a distraction like this.That's exactly what came to mind.

sorianofan
12-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Flame wars generate media attention, and can make Paul a household name and give all those people who think Trump is a douche something to talk about.

kylejack
12-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Never mud wrestle with a pig. You'll get muddy and the pig enjoys it.

McDermit
12-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Ron is above this. He's had chances to take shots at so many people, and he always keeps it classy abd takes the high road.

IterTemporis
12-03-2011, 04:45 PM
So maybe it ends up just Trump and Cain talking together?

Cain has dropped out. Newt accepted to go.

specsaregood
12-03-2011, 05:05 PM

Who knows, perhaps Benton has been racking up thousands of posts here in flame wars for years and is a pro as well. :)

green73
12-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Just went up on Drudge with this story:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/12/03/ron-paul-turns-down-donald-trumps-debate-invitation/

dante
12-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Just went up on Drudge with this story:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/12/03/ron-paul-turns-down-donald-trumps-debate-invitation/

That article also has a link to the campaigns attack ad against Gingrich! :)

kuckfeynes
12-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I am so glad I didn't have any liquid in my mouth just now, because it would be all over my monitor.

Ditto that, still laughing...

Skating on thin ice, but pulled off beautifully.

Now stop and get back on message!

Napolitanic Wars
12-03-2011, 05:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ua3TYGTaNo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8dZDAnux9U

WD-NY
12-03-2011, 05:31 PM
If it was an educational campaign, don't you think they would use the national stage to educate? Think about it. It was a calculated move.

The fact that Ron declined first (before Huntsman) and with such a soundly argued press release is what impresses me (and I suspect many within the MSM) most. This will be (already is) a HUGE WIN for Ron.

demonstrates real gravitas/leadership/principle

sends a clear message that Paul = TOUGH and isn't afraid of "loud barking" dogs like Trump and will stand up to those who undermine the seriousness of this election (this is huge, not so much for voters, but for press/professional journalists who are tired of 'celebrities talking heads/pundits' taking over their 'turf' and undermining the seriousness of their profession).

when the other candidates drop out (and I suspect romney will first), Paul will garner even more respect for leading the charge against this ridiculous stunt/idea.

Non-RINO republicans, Independents and Blue-Democrats all LOVE this move.

Best line of the press release by far:

“The selection of a reality television personality to host a presidential debate that voters nationwide will be watching is beneath the office of the Presidency and flies in the face of that office’s history and dignity. Mr. Trump’s participation as moderator..."

William Wallace esque (re: sometimes you have to pump up the egos of others in order to win their favor)! Believe me, a lot of 'professional' journalist/reporter/news anchor types are loving this move by Paul right now. I know a lot of them they spin Ron negatively, but that doesn't mean they won't appreciate Paul saying what they all wish they could say (but aren't allowed to - unless they're a 'contributor/analyst') to Trump - which is that he completely undermines their profession (re: Trump) and delegitimizes the 'important' role journalists/news-anchors play in american politics.

Ron just did them a huge solid by standing up for their profession.

Unknown.User
12-03-2011, 05:31 PM
I strongly believe Ron Paul was correct to decline participating in the Trump moderated debate. This was a poor decision on the part of those hosting the debate as it reflects very poorly on their judgement.

Nothing good could have came out of Dr. Paul's participation. Likely way it would have progressed:
1. Trump ignores Paul the first three quarters of the debate or more.
2. Trump says something (or multiple things) derogatory again Dr. Paul
**OPTION 1: Dr. Paul goes silent, letting Trump get the last word.
The voters would sympathize with Dr. Paul, but it would not make us look good. Votes are not won through sympathy.

**OPTION 2: Dr. Paul raises his voice and responds saying something not quite clear since he is angry.
Depending on the transparency of the exchange, this could help us. However from the recent Face the Nation interview we know that this is a risky game since what some voters view as a reasonable response will not be the same for all voters.

**OPTION 3: Dr. Paul manages remain collected and respond in a witty way.
Donald Trump will not let this happen, he will push with more and more ridiculous and offensive claims until Dr. Paul has to resort to Option 1 or Option 2. Donald Trump has no credibility at stake, he has everything to gain by dragging down Dr. Paul into awkward exchanges in order to make the next news cycle.

----------------
Honestly, I highly doubt anyone who thinks it is reasonable for Donald Trump to be a moderator for Presidential debates would support Ron Paul anyways. Every time the debate is mentioned announcers will add that it was not attended by Dr. Paul, Huntsman, etc... so we will still gain media mention.

WD-NY
12-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Benton...don't go overboard. Just let him flop around like an idiot.

Agreed - why is Benton undercutting himself. Take the #win and leave the table!

TheDrakeMan
12-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Fox just said Hunstman isn't showing up either.

silentshout
12-03-2011, 06:17 PM
good for him! I have so much respect for this man. I hate the circus that our candidate-choosing process has become. It is disgusting and so fake.

Steppenwolf6
12-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Love it!
It's time for the Trump to disappear from the scene and for the so called journalist ,like Greta Von Susteren,who still give him some relevance to follow him.
Plus ..the Trump connection has been the kiss of death for Perry,Bachmann,Romney

kylejack
12-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Fox just said Hunstman isn't showing up either.
Huntsman was the first to opt out.

Carson
12-03-2011, 07:14 PM
I was kind of thinking Donald Trump would cut Ron Paul some slack he hasn't been getting from the other globalist.

Paul4Prez
12-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Declining to attend is a HUGE mistake. This will be the last debate before the caucuses. Ron Paul should attend, and stick it to Trump. "Mr. Trump, you called me unelectable, yet I'm among the front-runners here in Iowa. I'm the only candidate with a serious plan to address the nation's spending and debt crisis, and the only one calling for a balanced budget in my first term".... etc.

kylejack
12-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Declining to attend is a HUGE mistake. This will be the last debate before the caucuses. Ron Paul should attend, and stick it to Trump. "Mr. Trump, you called me unelectable, yet I'm among the front-runners here in Iowa. I'm the only candidate with a serious plan to address the nation's spending and debt crisis, and the only one calling for a balanced budget in my first term".... etc.
It's on Ion Television. I can't ever remember watching something on Ion.

JohnGalt23g
12-03-2011, 09:36 PM

They're good for watching reruns of CBS shows.

MrTudo
12-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Trump is a lowlife who has supported the same system that has bankrupted this country and murdered thousands of innocent people around the world. This is what Donald Trump has supported in his life. Fuck Donald Trump.
It's time to start calling it the way it is. If a president has gone against the Constitution, is he a traitor? If you answer yes, then what about the people who support that politician and vote for him?
When do we finally call it the way it is? Do they not call us names? When they call Dr Paul names aren't they in fact disrespecting all of us? Ok then let's take a closer look at THEM. What have THEY supported? What do THEY believe in? I say it again, Fuck Donald Trump. That lowlife traitor.

opinionatedfool
12-03-2011, 09:58 PM

Haha! That's great!

Eric21ND
12-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Cain has dropped out. Newt accepted to go.
How they will fit the enormous egos of Newt and Trump in one venue is beyond me.

FSP-Rebel
12-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Never heard of it.

And I have every channel and that one isn't even on the radar, esp on the average person's lineup.

Eric21ND
12-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Campaign is correct. There's no reason to Kowtow to Trump.

sofia
12-03-2011, 11:19 PM
i dont think the good heartland folks of iowa are impressed by a scumbag city slicker a-hole like trump anyway

Chowder
12-03-2011, 11:35 PM

There is no way Trump will let Ron Paul stick it to him. He'll cut Ron's mic or just keep interrupting and then jump to the next candidate and not allow a rebuttal. Ron Paul did the right thing by not going to this.

milo10
12-03-2011, 11:44 PM
I'll add something else that I don't think anyone else has mentioned: most pundits will love that Ron is doing this.

Do you think that Palin, Savage, Limbaugh, et al want another kingmaker in the Republican party? No way!!

No matter what they might say about Trump in public, they are grateful that someone stood up to him. Ron won some serious points with a few individuals doing this. This might tip the scale towards some endorsements. If it doesn't go that far, at least I think it will lead to some kind words, a little more restraint on criticism, some friendlier interviews, etc..

The more I think about what the campaign did here, the more it makes sense.

ghengis86
12-03-2011, 11:46 PM
They're good for watching reruns of CBS shows.

Criminal Minds
Without a Trace
Ghost Whisperer

I think that's the gist of their programming. I get ION, but I have an antenna and only get over the air broadcast TV and don't watch too much. Whenever I go past ION, it's one of those three shows 90% of the time.

For the 67 people that watch ION regularly, this will be HUGE that RP skipped; to the rest of the world, eh, not so much.

seeknshare
12-04-2011, 12:23 AM
That does it, Perry won't have someone to ask for help now... Ha ha...good one!

CaptainAmerica
12-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Donal Trump you're FIRED, by Ron Paul

nc4rp
12-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Look how Trump screwed the Iowa GOP:

last spring he was invited to keynote the Republican Party of Iowa’s annual Reagan Dinner, yet at the last minute he left RPI holding the bag by canceling. In turn, RPI canceled its biggest fundraising gala of the year and suffered embarrassment and in addition RPI was required to engage in refunding measures

Trump is a douchebag

flightlesskiwi
12-04-2011, 02:18 PM
I'll add something else that I don't think anyone else has mentioned: most pundits will love that Ron is doing this.

Do you think that Palin, Savage, Limbaugh, et al want another kingmaker in the Republican party? No way!!

No matter what they might say about Trump in public, they are grateful that someone stood up to him. Ron won some serious points with a few individuals doing this. This might tip the scale towards some endorsements. If it doesn't go that far, at least I think it will lead to some kind words, a little more restraint on criticism, some friendlier interviews, etc..

The more I think about what the campaign did here, the more it makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X97GtNUIbyY

febo
12-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Ron Paul has more hair than Trump

tuggy24g
12-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Here is the best thing for him to do. Go to a location were he can get 3-5 thousand people together. When someone asks a question during the debate he mutes the TV and answers the question like he was there. That goes on throughout the debate as he talks. That way he will still be answering questions and getting his message/campaign out there. That is another suggestion.

Maybe we can all pray for snow and or heavy rain

Ball
12-04-2011, 09:40 PM

Romney isn't sure on anything.

He's quantum Romney. You only know Romney's 'spin' when he's observed by a defined audience.

Perry
12-04-2011, 10:08 PM
This could be the *Lucky* media tipping point that Ron Paul needs just prior to Iowa. If Romney drops this so-called "debate" other candidates might have the courage to drop out and you'd BETTER BELIEVE that the blowhard Trump would be all over the news blowing his horn and the media would follow in turn. I can envision where all the pundits conversation could come back to Paul for having the courage to do what nobody else would.
Ron Paul is correct about due diligence and hard work but I have always believed that we need some classic moment that is, if you will, the opposite of the "Howard Dean scream".