PDA

View Full Version : We need to emphasize different aspects of to appeal to mainstream voters.

Rob
11-07-2007, 05:48 AM
Let me begin by saying I'm not criticizing anyone for what appeals about Ron Paul to you personally, but I can remember too many times I've been out campaigning with people who seem completely ignorant of the audience. For example, I've watched people in Ann Arbor talk about how Ron Paul wants to abolish the IRS. If any of you know anything about Ann Arbor, you'd realize that this scares people there and would turn off the uninitiated immediately who might welcome Paul if they were first introduced to his ideas that they liked. In this post I'll be making recommendations for the center, i.e. moderate Republicans and Democrats, who still make up a majority of the electorate despite the polarization in Washington.

1) Ron Paul has defended Social Security more than any other candidate. While many of you may find SS abhorrent, most people actually like it if for no other reason than it will give them money. We should emphasize that Ron Paul has never voted to take money out of the SS fund in contrast to the other candidates, and strongly believes that the people who paid into the system should get out what they paid. In reality Paul may literally do more than Clinton or Barack to see that those who paid into SS will get out what they paid.

2) John McCain stated Ron Paul is "the most honest man in Congress." He's currently "polling" ahead of our man and still commands a large measure of respect within the Republican base and even with many Democrats. Even with the Democrats I know, he still has a perception of being one of the more honest politicians. This quote is golden: it simultaneously gives Paul instant credibility, and is about the only effective way to legitimately talk about Paul's honesty to those who don't know him.

3) Ron Paul is winning or nearly winning by many measures. Mainstream American generally puts a premium on those winning, so we should make an effort to convince that he is already at the top or close to the top in many measures. He's won the last 4 major debates and has had unprecedented, record-breaking fund raising.

4) Ron Paul will bring international respect to the US. His clear, consistent, and unified vision of American foreign policy is already bringing him international support ( just look at these forums). His anti-hawkish policy will be refreshing to the majority of the world.

There are more, but these are the ones that stick out most prominently in my mind. Hopefully some of you can add others.