View Full Version : ‘Indefinite Detention’ Bill Passes Senate 93-7

John F Kennedy III
12-02-2011, 01:19 PM
‘Indefinite Detention’ Bill Passes Senate 93-7

Americans completely stripped of all rights under Section 1031

Paul Joseph Watson
Infowars.com
Friday, December 2, 2011

The Senate last night codified into law the power of the U.S. military to indefinitely detain an American citizen with no charge, no trial and no oversight whatsoever with the passage of S. 1867, the National Defense Authorization Act.

One amendment that would have specifically blocked the measures from being used against U.S. citizens was voted down and the final bill was passed 93-7.

Another amendment introduced by Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Dianne Feinstein that attempted to bar the provision from being used on American soil, an effort to ensure “the military won’t be roaming our streets looking for suspected terrorists,” also failed, although Feinstein voted in favor of the bill anyway.

Feinstein was able to include a largely symbolic amendment which states that “nothing in the bill changes current law relating to the detention of U.S. citizens and legal aliens,” but this measure is meaningless according to Republican Congressman Justin Amash, a fierce critic of the bill.

“Some have asserted that Sen. Feinstein’s amendment, S Amdt 1456, protects the rights of American citizens and preserves constitutional due process. Unfortunately, it does not. It’s just more cleverly worded nonsense,” Amash wrote on his Facebook page.

Though the White House has threatened to veto the bill, the fact that Obama administration lawyers yesterday reaffirmed their backing for state sponsored assassination of U.S. citizens would suggest otherwise. Not voting for the bill, or in other words upholding the oath to protect the Constitution, has been described over and over again as “political suicide”.

“The bill puts military detention authority on steroids and makes it permanent, American citizens and others are at greater risk of being locked away by the military without charge or trial,” said Christopher Anders, senior legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union.

As Spencer Ackerman highlights, the bill completely violates the sixth amendment in that it allows American citizens to be locked up indefinitely, including in a foreign detention center, without any burden of proof whatsoever. An American merely has to be declared a terrorist and they can be abducted off the streets and never seen again.

“The detention mandate to use indefinite military detention in terrorism cases isn’t limited to foreigners. It’s confusing, because two different sections of the bill seem to contradict each other, but in the judgment of the University of Texas’ Robert Chesney — a nonpartisan authority on military detention — “U.S. citizens are included in the grant of detention authority,” writes Ackerman.

http://www.infowars.com/indefinite-detention-bill-passes-senate-93-7/

Echoes
12-02-2011, 01:45 PM
who are the 7 that voted against ?

Revolution9
12-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Huge tactical error. The entrenched powers are running scared. If it comes down to Americans in concentration camp style facilities it takes about four pickups full of armed 300 pound rednecks fully armed with their deer and bear hunting arms crashing through perimeter fences while the boys in the pickup bed keep the towers busy keeping them under fire. Once the perimeter fence is breached and there is chaos amongst the guards it is all over for that facility.

If I ain't posting next week they got me for suggesting a way to defeat a possible upcoming gulag.

Rev9

Cowlesy
12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
I thought Rand killed the Amendment of the indefinite detention bill?

http://paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=399

Infowars doesn't even mention Rand's victory above. Are they sure they have all their facts, or am I missing something?

John F Kennedy III
12-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Huge tactical error. The entrenched powers are running scared. If it comes down to Americans in concentration camp style facilities it takes about four pickups full of armed 300 pound rednecks fully armed with their deer and bear hunting arms crashing through perimeter fences while the boys in the pickup bed keep the towers busy keeping them under fire. Once the perimeter fence is breached and there is chaos amongst the guards it is all over for that facility.

If I ain't posting next week they got me for suggesting a way to defeat a possible upcoming gulag.

Rev9

+ rep for Patriotism

John F Kennedy III
12-02-2011, 02:10 PM

Infowars doesn't even mention Rand's victory above. Are they sure they have all their facts, or am I missing something?

I'll look into this in a few minutes.

kylejack
12-02-2011, 02:19 PM

Amendment 1274 was an attempt to say that if the government had a failed prosecution (Not Guilty verdict) that they could continue to hold the person indefinitely. Rand forced a voice vote and it was defeated.

Sec 1031 still allows them to hold an American indefinitely without ever having a trial.

CaptainAmerica
12-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I have no words to describe what I am feeling about this. :mad:

Philhelm
12-02-2011, 02:30 PM
An American merely has to be declared a terrorist and they can be abducted off the streets and never seen again.

At the very least, I hope they're at least more accurate than their No Fly List with kindergartners on it... :mad:

Lucille
12-02-2011, 02:38 PM
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."
--Cicero

Inkblots
12-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Glenn Greenwald has a characteristically excellent reflection on the passage of this monstrous piece of legislation here: http://www.salon.com/2011/12/01/congress_endorsing_military_detention_a_new_aumf/singleton/

He makes an interesting point that this bill, while codifying tyrannical and blatantly un-Constitutional practices, actually doesn't encompass any authority not already claimed by the Executive; and that, in fact, the Obama Administration opposes it on the grounds that Congress has no authority to define the parameters of their powers to fight the "War" on "Terror". He also praises Rand Paul as the only person opposing the bill on the grounds that giving such powers to the state is dangerous.

kylejack
12-02-2011, 02:51 PM
He makes an interesting point that this bill, while codifying tyrannical and blatantly un-Constitutional practices, actually doesn't encompass any authority not already claimed by the Executive;
Right. The problem I have with it is that the Congress is endorsing and solidifying the President's position.

Athan
12-02-2011, 02:58 PM
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."
--Cicero

I know and I so liked Titus Pullo up till he did him in. DAMN YOU PULLO!

John F Kennedy III
12-02-2011, 03:03 PM
At the very least, I hope they're at least more accurate than their No Fly List with kindergartners on it... :mad:

It is their direct purposeful intention to apply this to everyone. Nobody is safe from it. The no fly list and no buy list are just beta tests.

LibertyEagle
12-02-2011, 03:05 PM

He killed the Amendment that would have made it even worse; the underlying bill still passed. Check out what Amash said. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?333965-Sen.-Paul-Statement-on-Defeat-of-Detainee-Amendment&p=3797004#post3797004

And then of course, there is what Southern Avenger posted on the campaign website today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MUOE_3K7mI&f

Aratus
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM
someone wants a war with iran bad bad bad bad bad

and this horrid bill is like adding the civil liberties abuses

of FDR to those of Jeff Davis AND Abe Lincoln without pity.

Brian4Liberty
12-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Perhaps this is just stating the obvious, but the intent and effect of these Bill of Rights destroying laws and related Supreme Court decisions are part of an effort to fully align the legal system of the US with that of Israel. Bottom line: some in the US will be treated like Palestinians in the near future, with the same lack of rights.

Lucille
12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Right. The problem I have with it is that the Congress is endorsing and solidifying the President's position.

Exactly. CONgress made it official.

I know and I so liked Titus Pullo up till he did him in. DAMN YOU PULLO!

LOL... He brought down the Republic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Titus_Pullo_Brought_Down_the_Republic)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R73nvRPNSHA