PDA

View Full Version : Our New Tea Party

JordanL
11-07-2007, 04:07 AM
Hey, got the site up. Seems a little late to the party.

http://ournewteaparty.com

That's the initial design... I'll throw something else up when I don't have less than 3 hours.

I've already contacted the admin of ronpaulforpresident2008.com about spreading the word. :)

I'll go ahead and redirect the domain if it causes too much clutter and such.

JordanL
11-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Well I got ahold of the people behind TeaParty07.com, and they said that their website isn't even close to finished, but that it will be up soon.

I'll be promoting my website until it's up, and then will probably redirect my domain.

It was suggested that I should simplify the main page, (which I did), so the main page looks different now.

On a broader note, I'm a web designer and developer, and I'm availabe for Ron Paul work free of charge, (time permitting). Let me know if anyone needs anything.

Kregener
11-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Sorry, the name "Tea Party" sounds SO FRIGGIN' pantywaist.

MEGAMERICAN
11-07-2007, 09:22 AM

It sounds better the pee party.

Chester Copperpot
11-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Tea Party 07 sounds better than our new tea party.

JordanL
11-07-2007, 09:25 AM

Because running a country and freedom and liberty are all about SOUNDING cool. :rolleyes:

It's marketable enough, which is I think the most important thing.

Adam0980
11-07-2007, 09:28 AM
teaparty07 is much better and it allows the right connection because it has the event and the year. This is good because it kinda alludes to something political or at least something happening right now, especially considering it's near the end of the year. Additionally, Paul's website name is the same structure (teaparty07 and ronpaul2008), so we create another connection.

greves
11-07-2007, 09:31 AM
I really do like the ournewteaparty.com design you made, though. I think TeaParty07.com would be wise to contact you about using your code for their site.

JordanL
11-07-2007, 09:32 AM
teaparty07 is much better and it allows the right connection because it has the event and the year. This is good because it kinda alludes to something political or at least something happening right now, especially considering it's near the end of the year. Additionally, Paul's website name is the same structure (teaparty07 and ronpaul2008), so we create another connection.

I'm not arguing. :)

It's abotu the message, not the individual. I made the site because to be honest, teaparty07 looks like crap right now, and if we want NEW doners, we need a professional looking site.

I will redirect mine to theirs if necessary.

misconstrued
11-07-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm not arguing. :)

It's abotu the message, not the individual. I made the site because to be honest, teaparty07 looks like crap right now, and if we want NEW doners, we need a professional looking site.

I will redirect mine to theirs if necessary.

I agree. TeaParty07 doesn't look very good. Way too much to read too ;) It is a better domain though IMHO.

Green Mountain Boy
11-07-2007, 10:10 AM
The website needs to have one simple, yet sleek graphic like thisnovember5th to be be most effective.

JordanL
11-07-2007, 10:15 AM
The website needs to have one simple, yet sleek graphic like thisnovember5th to be be most effective.

Agreed. I have Calculus class today, so I'll have to work on that afterward, unless someone wants to volunteer.

It is a better domain though IMHO.

Also agreed. Not much I can do about that though.

literatim
11-07-2007, 10:16 AM
I personally like ondecember16th.com better.

Green Mountain Boy
11-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Who designed the graphic for thisnovember5th?

ladyliberty
11-07-2007, 10:20 AM
That website is awful!!!! Who decided not to use the Boston Tea Party Theme - I much preferred the historical reference than the baby-ish pastels. Tell me this site is a joke right? If not, it must have been put up by one the Hannity People to smear Ron Paul. :mad:

literatim
11-07-2007, 10:21 AM
That website is awful!!!! Who decided not to use the Boston Tea Party Theme - I much preferred the historical reference than the baby-ish pastels. Tell me this site is a joke right? If not, it must have been put up by one the Hannity People to smear Ron Paul. :mad:

I agree.

JordanL
11-07-2007, 10:24 AM
I personally like ondecember16th.com better.

I just registered ondecember15th.com and ondecember16th.com so that we could use them...

God I hope I have enough money for tuition this term. >_>

That website is awful!!!! Who decided not to use the Boston Tea Party Theme - I much preferred the historical reference than the baby-ish pastels. Tell me this site is a joke right? If not, it must have been put up by one the Hannity People to smear Ron Paul.

I do web design as a profession. I used some basic professional design principals to make it appeal to the broader crowd we're trying to bring in.

What changes would you suggest? I'm open to suggestions.

literatim
11-07-2007, 10:27 AM
I do web design as a profession. I used some basic professional design principals to make it appeal to the broader crowd we're trying to bring in.

We aren't trying to bring in a broader crowd. We are trying to virally market something and that takes an appropriate theme. The design needs to be simple ala November 5th website. A single graphic at the top with the message clear as day. It should have a Boston Tea Party theme.

NinjaPirate
11-07-2007, 10:28 AM
I just registered ondecember15th.com and ondecember16th.com so that we could use them...

God I hope I have enough money for tuition this term. >_>

Lol, I didn't register it last night because it didn't receive a whole lot of votes!

literatim
11-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Lol, I didn't register it last night because it didn't receive a whole lot of votes!

Sometimes people don't understand what it takes to get something popular. From the original register of thisnovember15th.com's idea of the new site, it is obvious he was lucky.

JordanL
11-07-2007, 10:31 AM
We aren't trying to bring in a broader crowd. We are trying to virally market something and that takes an appropriate theme. The design needs to be simple ala November 5th website. A single graphic at the top with the message clear as day. It should have a Boston Tea Party theme.

Then what exactly is the point of the campaign?

And for that matter, if we don't try to bring in new people, we can just make a post about it on a few blogs and be done with it.

The whole point of having a dedicated website is to appeal to a broader crowd.

NinjaPirate
11-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Sometimes people don't understand what it takes to get something popular. From the original register of thisnovember15th.com's idea of the new site, it is obvious he was lucky.

What does it take to get something popular? :)

Personally I like having a date in the www address because it'll stick more, and wanted to keep going with that, but people thought otherwise.

literatim
11-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Then what exactly is the point of the campaign?

And for that matter, if we don't try to bring in new people, we can just make a post about it on a few blogs and be done with it.

The whole point of having a dedicated website is to appeal to a broader crowd.

This is not an online shop where you are trying to sell a tea pot. We are trying to motivate people to virally spread the website. A corny website is not going to inspire anyone. November 5th had "V", our theme is the Boston Tea Party which was a major event that sparked the American Revolution.

JordanL
11-07-2007, 10:38 AM
This is not an online shop where you are trying to sell a tea pot. We are trying to motivate people to virally spread the website. A corny website is not going to inspire anyone. November 5th had "V", our theme is the Boston Tea Party which was a major event that sparked the American Revolution.

Yes, I get that. If you notice, I have no tea pots for sale.

You want me to make a big paint splattered, black website with metal brushed letters? It's not like I can't do that... I just thought, you know, with the campaign trying to legitimize itself and us trying to bring in more donors, we'd want to have a slightly more soft website.

But like I said, I'll probably just end up redirectign the domain anyway.

Green Mountain Boy
11-07-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm sorry to say it, but http://ournewteaparty.com looks like a website promoting a seven-year-old girl's birthday party.

Why change the simple format that worked so well for thisnovember5th?

What the site should be like:

Simple layout with centered graphic.

Theme is clearly identifiable with compelling image/text.

No links/extra information except at bottom of page.

JordanL
11-07-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry to say it, but http://ournewteaparty.com looks like a website promoting a seven-year-old girl's birthday party.

Why change the simple format that worked so well for thisnovember5th?

What the site should be like:

Simple layout with centered graphic.

Theme is clearly identifiable with compelling image/text.

No links/extra information except at bottom of page.

Alright, well I guess I'll duplicate the old design later tonight then.

I honestly think it was the message that resonated and not the metal brushed graphics. But the consensus is to copy and paste, and like I said, it's about the message, not the individual...

Green Mountain Boy
11-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Alright, well I guess I'll duplicate the old design later tonight then.

I honestly think it was the message that resonated and not the metal brushed graphics. But the consensus is to copy and paste, and like I said, it's about the message, not the individual...

It is the message that resonates, but appearance and clarity are equally important when marketing an event. That's why thisnovember5th worked so well.

I'm not saying the layout needs to be copied exactly. Don't fix it if it ain't broke is what i'm saying.

JordanL
11-07-2007, 10:57 AM
It is the message that resonates, but appearance and clarity are equally important when marketing an event. That's why thisnovember5th worked so well.

I'm not saying the layout needs to be copied exactly. Don't fix it if it ain't broke is what i'm saying.

I understand. :)

I have to deal with clients all the time that talk like you guys are. "I want those fancy Apple bubble graphics! Put them somewhere on the site!" ;)

It's part of working in a creative design field.

Anyway, I'm talking with the guy at teaparty07 right now about how we're going to approach this. I have ondecember15th and ondecember16th.com to use.